Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
    People With Alzheimers
    I wanted to know if anyone here has a family member, or if they themselves, are suffering with Alzheimersa dn what do you do to help slow the disease from getting worse? How do you cope or fight this illness? My dad was diagnosed with it a few months back and he is in the moderate stage, so he still has memory but many things have changed and I wanted to know what can help slow the disease or what are possible cures for it. I know there are "no" cures, but I think there must be some type of cure for it around.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 11:28 PM
    So your telling me no one knows anything about Alzheimers or senior health? :confused: :confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 12:54 AM
    Hi, Golden_Girl!

Sometimes, it takes a bit of patience to use this site...

My mother had Alzheimer's Disease. I had to deal with it for a number of years...

One of the things that helps is for the person to be mentally stimulated on a regular basis and for them to keep as active as they can with groups and other types of activities.

Synthread (spelling?) is a medication that also seems to help with the person remaining as alert and keen to memory things as they can.

But, I'm sure that others will be able to elaborate better about the medication thing.

I'm sorry that you're having to face this! It's not easy!

Hopefully, others will also be along to address your question!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 11:54 PM
    Hi Clough, thanks for answering. I never heard of "Synthread", I know the doctor had him on Aricept for about 9 months until it about a week ago it became ineffective for him. So now he is on Namenda and it's too soon to see how well it'll work. He also has been taking something else to help with his dimentia symptoms for about 5 months, but his symptoms have came back. I will have to read more about Synthread. Did your mother take any specific vitamins or a multivitamin?

This alzheimer's makes me so upset and depressed because I didn't expect something like this until I was much older, I'm 24. My 2 older siblings have done nothing to help dad and only called once this year to check on him. So I had updated them on what's happening and still no call. So, I'm helping my stepmother care for him 4 days out of the week. I'm glad he still has memory, even though it isn't how it used to be. One of the reasons I hate alzheimer's because my dad was a computer genius and worked for IBM for about 20 years as a software and hardware developer and then started his own computer business. But, had to stop late last year because of AD when he was diagnosed.

We try to stimiluate his mind with games, reading, writing, computers and he would just get furious and refuse to play and said to not insult him like that. Other than that, we do go for walks sometimes and to the park, look at photos. I'm going to try tape recording him speaking about his past and thoughts if he'll let me. We are looking for an affordable place near the area that offers activities for those who have alzheimers.

How many years did your mother have alzheimer's?
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Hi again, Golden_Girl!

I think that I should have originally put Aricept in my first response to you. Now that I think about it, Synthread or even Synthroid (spelling, again), might have been something that my mother took for problems with her thyroid gland. It's been so long ago, that I've forgotten some of the medications that were prescribed...

You have quite a burden to bear there, Golden_Girl! I've "been there, done that"...

I worked with taking care of my mom for about ten years until her death. It was hard at first and got harder...

Let's just keep communicating, okay?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 12:49 AM
    Okay, I can see that you're busy elsewhere on the site, Golden_Girl.

I'll be here to help you through this.

We just might need to coordinate times. Where I am is in my profile, however you might be able to view it.

I'll look forward to discussing with you your situation, what's happening in it and what to do about it...

I've already "been there" and also feel your pain...

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Synthread or even Synthroid (spelling, again), might have been something that my mother took for problems with her thyroid gland.
    Yes, it's for thyroid, not alzheimers.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Thanks Clough. Sorry, I must have been at my favorite board as it does help distract me sometimes.

So, what were the best ways to help care for your mother and make her happy? In the end did she completely forget who you were or did she still recognize your face even though she did not know exactly who you were? With me I take it really hard because I am oversensitive and almost anything affects me but I know I have to be there for my stepmom as she does so much in taking care of dad. It was not gradual, it all happened at once when I found out this past April that he was diagnosed last November 2008. Now it explains why some of the things he was talking about last summer with me.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Hi again, Golden_Girl!

Other than memory loss, both short-term and long-term, the thing that "got" me the most, initially, was that she forgot my birthday. Remembering the date and other things concerning the days of the week, months, etc. never returned for her.

She never forgot who I was, though. Although, occasionally, she did mistake me for being her husband. My father died in 1982.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
    I see. Well, I hope my dad never forgets who I am. Last week he thought I was his mother, but she passed away about 6 years ago but I'm known to look a lot like her and I was in the kitchen cooking so I though maybe that's why he thought that. Today he though I was my stepmom though and asked was his daughter going home today, again I was in the kitchen cooking.

How did you deal with the burden of your mother having alzheimers, Did you have other siblings to share responsibility?
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 03:20 PM
    I was the one who took care of my mom physically and emotionally. My brother was the one who wrote checks for things.

When there are issues within a family, things can be even rougher...

Thanks!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Hi Goldie,
    I remember reading about Alzheimer patients finding simple things enjoyable.
    There have even been petting/stroking animals like horses,cats etc for sensory stimulation.

You might also like the following link.
    http://www.alzinfo.org/alzheimers-treatment-family.asp
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 02:44 AM
    So, how are things going now, Golden_Girl?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Hey, still hanging in there. I did suggest to my dad and stepmom about getting a puppy, cat, or rabbit. But, he said he had enough pets in the past ad didn't want them make his house dirty. But, they do live around a lot of trees and sometimes the deer come around, and we put up the hummingbird feeder since my dad loves hummingbirds.

Thanks for the links Firmbeliever, I'll take a look at them.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Hi again, Golden_Girl!

Are you able to take your dad out very much, like for drives and/or outings, please?

I used to take my mom out a lot and go for rides. Driving around where she was familiar and going down "memory lane" was a thing that she really enjoyed doing!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 11:59 PM
    Hi again, Golden_Girl!

Are you able to take your dad out very much, like for drives and/or outings, please?

I used to take my mom out a lot and go for rides. Driving around where she was familiar and going down "memory lane" was a thing that she really enjoyed doing!

Thanks!
    Thanks Clough! Yes I take dad out for rides as I can as I notice he is much calmer in the car. So I try and take him out as much as I can, because when he is at the house for too long he gets really irritated. When we look through photos I notice he talks more and tells me who is who, as though he is his old self again. They want to give me his old truck, so I am really considering it and I would have to learn how to drive a 5 speed stick shift. I know he always loved that truck, so I may get it fixed up as it hasn't been driven for about 6 months. His appetite has lessoned a lot since his symptoms returned about a moth ago, but for some reason he now has this taste for chicken sandwhiches from fastfood places, so I take him there. Strange because he had always hated fast food, but whatever gets him to eat is fine with me.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 12:03 AM
    Would he know that you've been given his truck, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Would he know that you've been given his truck, please?

Thanks!
    Yes, he was the one who suggested it to me a couple of times, at first I said no because I don't know how to drive a stick. But I have been reconsidering it for a few days now as their next option was to sell it. He was showing me how to handle the stick and switching gears a week and a half ago.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 12:46 AM
    Well then, he should be okay with you having it.

I was concerned that he might feel bad having something like that taken away from his control.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 08:47 PM
    I would never do that to him, I woulld always want him to be happy. So I made sure to ask if he really wanted me to have it and why.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom with alzheimers can no longer pay her cc debts.what will happen? [ 1 Answers ]

My mom was recently diagnosed with alzheimers and receives social security and a death benefit from my deceased dad who worked for the government. She has very little equity in her home(which we have on the market so that we can put her into assisted living) The equity is only about $8000 at the...

Alzheimers disease [ 1 Answers ]

What is the life span of an individual in the last stage of Alzheimers? How does one usually die of this disease when they are early onset ( at the age of 59 )? What should be expected at this stage of the disease?

View more questions Search