Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    augustus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Newly married to non-resident, need tax help!
    I have recently married and my husband is not from the U.S. He has begun his application process for residency and work permit, but this process takes a few months, so in the meantime, I am supporting him.

How does this effect our 2006 tax return when we file? Is there anything I need to know?
    He does not have a social security number or even a resident alien number (yet).
    Which form do we use? (we will not itemize).
    Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 04:38 PM
    Since you are a U.S. citizen (or at least a resident alien), you can file jointly using Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. You would leave his SSN block BLANK and submit Form W-7 to apply for a Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) with the tax return. You can download the Form W-7 from www.irs.gov. The easiest support form to provide (to prove your spouse is whom he says he is) is a notarized photocopy of your spouse's passport.

You mail it to the address on the W-7. The IRS will issue the ITIN, fill it in SSN block on the Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ, process the return and send your husband his ITIN under separate correspondence. The entire process takes about six weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Newly married [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got married and my new husband knows about me contenplating filing for bankruptcy. My question is how will my filing bankruptcy going to effect his credit. I live in the state of Illinois so I need to know about Illinois law in this matter

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Tax for NJ resident working in NY [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a resident of NJ since oct, 2005 and I work at NY since then. This is the first time I am filing my tax returns in the US. Now that I'm married and my spouse doesn't work anywhere, I learnt that I have to file the return jointly and for the same I applied for ITIN and filed by federal...

NY City Resident Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Work in NYC, but live in Long Island (Suffolk County). Do I need to pay NY -City Resident tax? I have checked the entire forum but could not find a similar post or everyone knows the answer already? :confused: Thank you!

Married non-resident-am I single for state return? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I am Canadian and non-resident but married to another non-resident. For Federal tax, I am Married resident of Canada. What am I for state return? If I file State as Married filing separately, they want me to pay a lot. Can I claim I am single for State? I am filing two...

View more questions Search