Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 1, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Replace those worn-out outlets!
    This is not a question but more of a warning.

When we moved into our house, we noticed that many of the receptacle outlets were worn-out and that plugs would fall out very easily. I told my wife that this is not just a nuisance, but it is unsafe, so I replaced at least half of the outlets within the first couple of days. My wife thought that I was being paranoid and that replacing them could wait.

Just this morning, I was making some toast and I noticed a burning electrical smell, so I reached behind the toaster to unplug it and the plug was so hot that it burned my finger. The plug was toast! It was melted and black on one side. The outlet was also melted and black by one of the slots. I never thought about changing the appliance outlets because they looked like recently installed GFCI's. The one that burnt was a standard outlet that was on the load side of another GFCI. It was probably an older outlet that was reused when the GFCI's were installed.

All of these worn outlets were cheap residential-grade. The kind you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's for 49¢. I always use commercial-grade outlets. They might cost a little more, but IMO it's worth the extra expense.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 09:51 AM
    You are absolutely correct. Non-tight electrical connections are hot connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

Worn Out Carpets [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my apartment 12 years ago and the owner, at that time, put wall to wall carpeting in my apartment. The building has been bought and sold three times since then. The carpet was very "cheap" and after 12 years it is worn, dirty and is stretching in many places. Is the present owner...

Solution to repairing worn bushings on outdoor water spigot [ 1 Answers ]

We have a home built on a concrete slab.Our out door water spigots have worn bushings. When hose is attached, water is sprayed all over. Is there a way these can be fixed?

Pre-Teen worn out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12-year old son who is an athlete (football, basketball, track, etc.). He is in great physical shape. We have noticed that if he goes for about three or four days, non-stop (practices and games combined), he gets stomach cramps and ends up having to miss a day of school. We know...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

View more questions Search