Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Mildew smell coming from shower head
    Nine months ago I replaced the valves in my shower myself. Recently, I started noticing that when I first turn the water on to take a shower, there is a distinct smell of mold. This has never happened before. It really seems to be coming from the water itself. (It's not the drain.) After a couple of minutes it goes away. I am planning to remove the shower head and even take the valves back out if necessary.

Could I have done something wrong when I installed the valves?

There is also a slight mold smell inside my washing machine, which is on the same floor. This is also new. I have run loads with bleach, but it doesn't go away.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Sounds like you may have some bacteria growing in there.
    Remove the shower head and soak it in bleach over night. Reinstall it and try it for a few days. If the smell returns then we may have to do the same thing to the valve. But I'm hoping this will get it. Good luck, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 02:25 PM

Tom got it, you can also soak the shower head in vinager, if the smell comes back then we will tell how to clean the shower valve, Thanks.

John
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 04:15 PM

Many thanks!
    I will try this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mildew Smell Coming from Bathroom Sink/Cabinet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, There is a mildew smell coming from my bathroom sink. I live on the ground/basement level of a newly renovated building. I've been here for two years, we had a flood the first year I was here (I cleaned my entire apartment with bleach afterwards and professionals came in and cleaned...

No water coming out of shower head [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me what's wrong my shower water coming down the backof it instead of through the shower head

There is no water coming from my shower head [ 2 Answers ]

How do I replace a tub diverter spout without ripping my shower apart? (Please keep in my that I am clueless)

Strong mildew smell in shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a strong mildew smell coming from the shower drain. This is a 2yr old Florida home built on a slab. I have used draino, bleach, and boiling hot water. The weather is great now so I am able to leave the windows and door open in the bathroom, even with this you can still smell mildew in the...

No water coming out of shower head. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, so the other day my dad and I go to home depo to pick up a part for his shower (symmons type A) and the piece we were looking for was the handle that turns on the shower, it had been stripped. Well we took out the old one and put in a new one. It was so hard we couldn't turn it. Well we put wd...

View more questions Search