Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cafergus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 07:09 AM
    1907 in-joke?
    From the diary of an ocean voyage (August, 1907). The diarist lives in Manhattan; she has just graduated from Swarthmore and is going to Berlin on a year's fellowship. She notes on the first day:

The first cabin passengers are also a mixed lot. It is not at all a fashionable crowd. Some even look eligible for the "chestnut wig" decoration.

Google is as puzzled as I am by this use of "chestnut wig." Does anyone get the meaning?
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Oct 4, 2009, 06:27 PM

I never heard it before. It may be something so "inside" as a personal experience of hers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 06:43 PM

There was a "mask and wig" club in the 1880s on Chestnut street, it was of course as tradition a all male production, with men playing the ladies roles

And some of the productions were perhaps pushing the social circles at the time.

Not saying that this is it, but it is a possible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does he joke around with me sometimes? [ 3 Answers ]

On a few of the text messages he asked if I liked him and I told him that I did, and I asked him if he liked me, and he said no, because he already has a girlfriend but I didn't believe him. Then one day when he called me and he told me two girls that he liked, (I knew he doesn't actually like...

This is not a joke! What should I do? [ 6 Answers ]

Please... My mom and dad are divorced. My mom and I go to Ohio every summer. She told me that she is thinking of moving up there some time soon. I really want to go but I live with my father and all my friends are where I live. I don't want to leave them. But I also want to move to Ohio. What...

Am I a joke? [ 6 Answers ]

Guys, I have a problem with my work right now. I feel that I am the biggest joke in my company. One of my jobs is to coordinate a certain program with another company. I started this program from scratch. Now that it is already in place, and is being implemented, the company suddenly hired...

Theodore Roosevelt 1907 [ 12 Answers ]

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or...

View more questions Search