Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    millerone65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 02:05 AM
    Toilet bowl water level drops after flushing
    When I flush my upstairs toilet it fills the bowl like normal but then after maybe 10 minutes the water level drops down very low like you normally see on windy days. Hope you know what I mean. Lol
    I checked the hose like you said and also cleaned off the flapper. I also adjusted the water level in the tank so it was below the top of the hose tube. Why does the water level keep dropping? If there is some sort of leak do I have to worry about water damage or does it just leak down into the pipe?
    The other toilets in the house are fine.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2009, 04:14 AM
    There are a few things that could take your level down. There could be a crack in the bowl letting the water seep out over twenty minutes. That would be my first guess. My second guess is kind of far out but since I've had a couple of calls that lost water in the bowls, I'll throw it up for grabs. The water in your bowl is a trap/seal and connects directly to a pipe called a vent located on your roof. If that location is windy, it has been noted that the wind blowing over the vent pipe causes a suction that syphons the water out the bowl. But that's rare and you will notice the level raising and falling as it happens. I'm going to go with door #1 if only because of the time it takes for the level to go down. The only fix I know is to change out the bowl There could also be a factory defect in the bowl. Sometimes in casting the bowl there is a small bubble in the china. Instead of junking the bowl the manufacture will put a porcelain patch over the hole and send it on through. On occasion the patch will fail allowing the water to seep out of the bowl. If that's the case you would have a full bowl after you flushed and the bowl filled but some time later you would notice a drop in the bowl level. The only other thing might be if you dropped something in the bowl and cracked it. If you're worried about where the water's going, in both cases it drains back down into the sewer and not under the bowl on the floor. To check the bowl must be pulled, filled and put up on saw horses. You can then see if there's any leakage from the bowl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet water level slowly drops [ 11 Answers ]

My toilet tank slowly loses water

Water level in bathroom commode bowl drops [ 1 Answers ]

There is no evidence of a water leak but water level in bathroom commode bowl seems to disappear.

After flushing,the water drains out of the toilet bowl. [ 1 Answers ]

There is no water leaking into my crawl space. Someone suggested I hose water down the vent pipe on my roof. That worked a month ago but not this time. Thank you in advance for your Help.

Water level drops in toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 2nd floor main washroom that doesn't get used too much. I bought a new home off the builder and its now 1yr old. It seems this toilet doesn't have much water pressure compared to the other toilets in the house. A few months back, this toilet would start making a hissing noise...

Toilet bowl water level slowly drops. [ 5 Answers ]

My toilet was flushing poorly, after a good session of plunging it is working decently again, however another problem has arose. When the toilet is flushed all waste is taken away,then the bowl refills as does the tank,OK so far. When the tank and bowl are filled, what happens next is that the...

View more questions Search