Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Oct 2, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Immoral to date your friends ex-crush?
    Okay, so my friend (let's call him Dmitri) had a very good friend (let's call her Lauren). They were friends for years and everything was good until he "fell in love" with her and she rejected him. Dmitri started ignoring Lauren and they stopped being friends.

Now, about 2 weeks later I find out that Lauren likes me. I talk to this to my other friend, who we can call Rodney. I like Lauren and Lauren likes me, so obviously, I want to take her out or whatever.

But Rodney says that if I dated Lauren, it would be "immoral" and "it wouldn't work out anyway" and "Dmitri would start hating me".

I do not really understand. Dmitri stopped being friends with Lauren and is now hitting on another girl (yes! What a quick recovery... ). How could it be possibly immoral, when he obviously doesn't want to talk to her , etc. Why would he hate me for dating her when he wants her out of his life? And why is Rodney saying it "wouldn't work out anyway?"

I'm confused. I don't think it's immoral, and I don't think Dmitri would care. What do you guys think? :confused:
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 10:11 AM
    While not 'immoral', it probably will strike discord in your friendship with Dmitri.

Your best option is to prior to pursuing the date/relationship with Lauren to discuss the situation with Dmitri to find out if it would or would not bother him.

What is your age range?
    -

Oct 2, 2009, 10:14 AM

He told me on a few occasions that he doesn't care about her anymore...

We're all 16.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangqpublic View Post

We're all 16.
    I would talk to Dmitri and seriously consider his reaction.
    Then you will have to make a choice whether dating this girl will be worth the possibility of losing this friendship.
    While 16 is a finicking age, you may just as easily find another girl that is just as interesting to you without all of the complications.
    -

Oct 2, 2009, 10:27 AM

Well, how I am supposed to talk to talk to him about this topic? And I repeat he told me on many occasions that he doesn't care about her or anything she does anymore. I think the way that he is acting is way stupid. I think I should talk to him about that first...

And why do you think it would be "uncomfortable"?

Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Well, how I am supposed to talk to talk to him about this topic? And I repeat he told me on many occasions that he doesn't care about her or anything she does anymore. I think the way that he is acting is way stupid. I think I should talk to him about that first....

And why do you think it would be "uncomfortable"?

Thanks.
    His reaction actually indicates more that he does have feelings involved than that he doesn't.

Because you will need to choose, friend or girl. That is uncomfortable.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 10:31 AM
    All you really need to say is, remember Lauren? Her and I have feelings for each other, how do you feel about it?

If he says, sure go ahead, then you're good. If he says, he's uncomfortable with that idea, then you'll have to consider whether your friendship with him is more important or your feelings with Lauren.

It's just common courtesy to let your friends know that you might start a relationship with their ex-crush or ex-gf. I'm sure you would want him to do the same thing if the situation was reversed.
    -

Oct 2, 2009, 10:35 AM

Okay, I'll do that... Thanks. :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 11:24 AM

Eyes wide open. Its not immoral, but think, if you pursue this girl, you have to put up with whatever she, and her ex have been through. That might be what makes things complicated and uncomfortable. How will you all act around each other?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 11:03 AM

We're all 16.
    I wonder how many people use this account:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/childr...ml#post1915823

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...ax-320730.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dating...le-262408.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends now friend with crush [ 1 Answers ]

OK, been taking a dancing class for a dozen weeks, at this point had little chatter with this girl one girl in particulare. My friend befriended most people at the dance classes, but I didn’t pursue any possible friendships. At the final lesson kind of a big thing this girl and I chatted more and...

She wants to be friends and says she wants us to date other people.. . [ 38 Answers ]

OK so this is my first post and I'm really hurting over this, and it is all on me. I love this girl more than anything in the world, we dated for 2.5 years but I have been a terrible boyfriend. I have never done a good job showing her I care about her all the time I only seem to really try when we...

Do I start with my gay friend or my gay friends crush? [ 4 Answers ]

How it happened: Me an my gay best friend Bill(names have been changed) are in the same class as his crush, Dave a feminine guy that everyone likes. He's funny an the perfect guy bill has been waiting for(he tells me but I've heard it before:rolleyes: ) and when bill gets giddy I get giddy. ...

My fianc? & friends think I have a crush. [ 4 Answers ]

I've been engaged for a year and have known and dated my fiancé for about 3 years. Recently we moved to the town he grew up in, back with all his old friends and family. His friends are my new friends now. I've become close (as friends) to his best friend. I know it sounds weird, but we are very...

Should I date my best friends ex- boyfriend? [ 22 Answers ]

My situation is kind of weird. I live with my best friend, I love her dearly and really do not want to disrespect her in any way. The reason I say this is weird is her current bf( in which she has a child with) I dated briefly... very briefly so it doesn't even matter. She hooked up with him and...

View more questions Search