Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Is love enough? How to know when to leave
    My boyfriend and I have been dating 2.5 yrs, living together 1. We have a solid, fun relationship together and I genuinely believe we love each other very much. We come from different family backgrounds (I'm super close to mine, he's not to his) and friend backgrounds (he prefers to be alone, while my friends are as important to me as the air I breathe!). In the beginning, I felt he was open to coming out with me (I am 28, he 31) and a lot of our friends were mutual (how we met). Well, he's slowly started to turn more inward and wants a lot of time to himself, becoming more and more selfish and wanting less and less to do with my family and my friends. He most recently said why would I ever hang out with your family just to hang out? (as in a non-holiday) - and the same about my friends. This is obviously a problem, but I've let him be because I really think he likes to be alone (he's not depressed or anything). Then one night his sister and I went out together and stayed out late talking (at her apt mind you) - he freaked and told me if I'm going to stay out late (and not listen to him) like that - it's going to be without him! Well in turn, I freaked and brought up all the issues I've been hindering. He doesn't understand that I have needs as well, this transcends from me asking him to do things (even with just me and not my family or friends) to even the bedroom (and I've been very vocal about that). We talked marriage prior - but only in a negative way on his end - saying things like - you'll like the ring I get you and what's that going to change anyway? I mean I'm a totally optimistic person and he's making all the things I'm excited about negative, kids as well. When I complain about that - he says he's just teasing. I've made my points and it seems he just doesn't agree, but does say he'll work on some things. We are still living together, but because this fighting has escalated to me telling him I'm going to move out and leave - but still no changes. And icing on the cake - I mentioned my thoughts about leaving him to my family and friends and EVERY SINGLE one (inc family of friends) says he is such a selfish person and never really liked him! He comes home now and either A-doesnt say a word or B-acts like nothing is wrong or looks at me with those I'm so in love with you eyes - why is this happening? PLEASE HELP! I'm so unhappy in this limbo world!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 06:04 PM

Doesn't really sound like such a solid, fun relationship. I'd tell him if he wants alone time, go for it. And he can have all the alone time he wants when you move out. He sounds like a jerk.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 06:09 PM

We bring all sorts of bagage to a relationship, walking away is easy, getting counseling and working on both people and how we interact is the hard part
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 06:33 PM

The test of any relationship, is how well you resolve your differences through honest communications, and a willingness to work together. It's a process that will work over time.

You may be in limbo now, but I think if your BOTH willing to make adjustments, it will get you through the limbo.

If not you won't be together much longer. Learn to talk without freaking out. When both of you freak out, that never works.

In my house we take turns, and the other one looks crazy at the one who is freaking. Then we give each other some time, and space, to unfreak themselves, and then talk when things have calmed down.

Every couple is different, but you find a way, or split.
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Oct 1, 2009, 08:04 PM

I have lived many many reruns of a similar situation. It doesn't sound like you two are passionate about each other anymore. You have to ask yourself if that is what you want for the rest of your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend(That I very much love) wants me to leave her alone [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone my name is Glenn and I have been an emotional train wreck the last week or so. I am 24 years old and my girlfriend(or ex.. I am confused) is 22 years old. We have been together for almost 5 years and just last week she told me that she wants to be left alone and needs some space to...

How do I leave the One I Love? [ 11 Answers ]

Okay, Ive never used a site like this before so bare with me people. Iam soon to be 23 and I have a 3 month old daughter with my husband. My husband and I have been married since Oct 31 2007 and it has been a very long hard marriage already! First he is an alcoholic, second when he gets beyond...

Do I love him or leave him? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for being wordy. I fell in love for the first time a few summers ago, and after being extremely happy with that person, we decided that the age difference was inappropriate and we are still friends to this day. We both are in love with the other, and we both recognize...

Leave him or love him? [ 4 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma, I have been with my boyfriend for 2.5 years and we’ve lived together for 1.5 out of those years. At the beginning of our relationship I wasn’t sure that he was the one for me but he loved me so much and everything about him was exactly what I needed; he wanted to spend all his...

Love Her or Leave Her [ 7 Answers ]

The last month I have had some very upsetting blows. I applied for this firefighting position that I really really wanted. I needed to be an EMT though so I had to test also. Well I had the job and lost it because I had failed my test. Anyway I had been very stressed about all this and I kind...

View more questions Search