Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eighter99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Answering discovery papers
    I am in the middle of a credit card lawsuit with mann bracken llc, I received papers from them for planiff's request for discovery. Do I have to answer these since the are from
    Mann bracken and not the court? If I don't answer what can I expect to happen next?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:10 PM

Of course you answer them. You won't get papers from the Court. Both sides file various motions and requests which are also filed with the Court but the Court doesn't issue documents with the exceptions of notices to appear/scheduled appearances and Judgments.

You are representing yourself? You should get familiar with the Court system or you are not going to have a chance.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 2, 2009, 12:41 AM

Yes, you have to answer. If you don't, Plaintiff can (and probably will) file a Motion to Compel, in which they get the Court to order you to answer them. If you fail they might ask for an Affidavit or other Judgment. You can also initiate your own Discovery on them. You can find examples of how to answer their's, and what you can send for yours, in this and other forums.

If you are acting as Pro Se Litigant (representing self), you really need to familiarize yourself with your states' court process, and laws regarding debts. You will lose if you don't properly prepare yourself. If it all seems too much for you, consider hiring an attorney. Look up your state's District Civil Court, and Rules regarding Civil procedures. Lack of knowledge of the law is not a defense in court, if you don't know procedures, how do you anticipate beibng able to defend yourself?

If you search on Google using "Sued by Debt Collector" you will find a website by a consumer who successfully acted Pro Se against the JDB's. He offers an inexpensive kit and guidelines for the do-it-yourselfer. It has all of the tempplates and forms you will need. I highly recommend you read his info and consider purchasing the kit.

As of now, you are totally unprepared to be going into this. You should have acquired the above knowledge before it got to this point. Good luck, as you are going to need it if you don't learn the above quickly. And you have only so many days to answer Discovery, 30 or less.
    hollandgirl Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 04:22 AM
    In a criminal case how many days do they have to turn discovery papers over?and how can they condem a house twice for something you are not even guilty of having?I'm in peru,in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Answering a summons [ 1 Answers ]

I was served papers for a individual that we have a lien on his property that is going into foreclosure and have to answer the summons how do I go about doing this as my name is listed as a defendant section as I bear interest in the property?

Answering summons [ 1 Answers ]

I don't really have a answer to your question, but a question of my own. How do you give a "written response to the court" I have only a couple of days to do this.

How and Who when answering Summons [ 3 Answers ]

First, thanks for help last week about answering my summons. I just have two more questions before I go through with it: 1. I know what needs to be said. Can I Answer the summons in just a regular business letter format, or do I need to do something that looks similar to the summons (on one...

View more questions Search