Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ylheitman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2004, 12:30 PM
    8 week old puppy not eating but drinking
    I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force feeding him he won't eat. The dog I chose was the runt of the litter because he was the most playful and feisty of all the rest of them. The breeder said he played so much all the time that he would forget to eat and she was supplementing him twice a day with chicken and rice but he won't even eat that for me. I took him to the vet and she says he's healthy but slightly underweight. She thinks he may be a little too young to have been taken from his brothers and sisters and he should go back for a while. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them before, and if so, what did you do about it?? Help! Should I just take him back to the breeder for a week or two? :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2004, 06:46 PM
    Re: 8 week old puppy not eating but drinking
    8 weeks is a great time to bring home a puppy. It has had long enough with its mother and litter mates to learn about living with other dogs. Now is the time for it to be learning about your home, and the people in it. It is going to live with people, and needs to be learning to live with them.

I am so used to greedily little Labs, the not eating seems strange. However even one of my Labs didn't eat very well. Scotties are small. Most puppies come overweight. Put down about a 1/4 cup of a dry puppy chow, preferably what the breeder was feeding 3 times a day. Take up any uneaten food and do not offer any more food or treats until the next scheduled meal. This is far harder on you, than him. Likely he is very excited about his new home and the people in it. As he adjusts, he should remember to start eating again. If you want to feed something other than the breeder was, make a slow switch over about a week after he starts eating.

Besides Labs I had a Shepherd. She went 3 days without eating once. She eventually started eating again. You may want to choose one of the concentrated chows such as Pro Plan or Eukanuba. It is easier to keep a light eating dog in good shape on them. Allow him to keep himself trim and healthy. My 1/4 cup was a guess. Here is a great guide you can use with any dog, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.

Those active little runts can be fun dogs. Take him seriously, he will. If you don't watch it, he will be running the household. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

If he doesn't start eating in a few days, let me know as much as you can, and I will see if I can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 month old puppy not eating much [ 4 Answers ]

Our puppy is a 4 month old Rottweiler/Lab mix. She does not seem to like eating that much and sleeps a lot. Seems lethargic last couple of days and has had diarrhea. Should this be a concern? She has a vet appt. next week.

My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a...

6wks puppy not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased 2 labXgerman sheperd puppies 3 days ago fron a pet store. A little girl & a boy. The male is very tiny but he was playful. I had bought puppy chunks which both refuse to eat. Then I tried a wet puppy food which they ate twice & won't touch. The litlle male is much smaller than the...

8 week lab puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 5 week old lab puppy which became familiar in 2-3 days. He is now 8 weeks and got his first vaccination 2 week back. He has also got the de-worming. Now he has stopped eating. He just has few (very few) water or milk and became weak. Also he is not as playful as he used to be. We tried...

:( Dog/Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I received a dog/puppy from a person who wasn't taking very good care of here, She refuses to eat dry food, she will only eat fresh meat or canned meat chunks, I've been feeding her porkribs with her dry food, but it's not working so well. Do you know how I can get her to eat dry food?

View more questions Search