Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LEBROAK Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Mechanics lien due to contractor not paying materials
    Hi,
    We had our roof re-shingled; got 3 bids, picked one; the contractor had the shingles delivered and completed the work. We paid the contractor in full for both the materials and the labor (have contract, invoice and cancelled check).

We recently were served with a summons and complaint (along with 2 other home owners, the roofing contractor who skipped town, and the contractor's bonding company at the time -license bond.. not work or performance); by the roofing shingle supply company (plaintiff)for the cost of the shingles and 10% interest from march 2009. A mechanic's lien was also placed on our property (was an attached exhibit to the complaint). We hired a lawyer who filed an answer for us, but states he is not representing us and has been of very little other help (pd. Him $1400.00 for the answer).

The petitioner's lawyer is now encouraging us to file a claim with the bonding company. We don't see how we would have a claim with the bonding company at this point in time, as our roof was completed satisfactorily. And if we do file a claim with the bonding company, are we setting ourselves up for some type of acknowledgement of the plaintiff's claim? What is the reason for us filing a claim with the bonding company when the plaintiff is already suing the bonding company for the majority of the bond amount?

I guess I should mention this is taking place with all parties involved residing in California.
    Help! And thanks

Oct 1, 2009, 05:01 PM

Help someone... please
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 06:28 PM

If you don't get the money from someone, you will have to repay them, this is very legal for them to put a lien on your property.

This is why you get wavers filed, copies of isurance and workers comp and more before you ever sign s contract.

So you need an attorney at this point if you don't want to pay for the material twice

Oct 2, 2009, 04:41 PM
    If "we" don't get money from someone or if "they" don't get money from someone we'll have to pay them?

I understand it's legal for them to put a mechanics lien on the property, however, we would have had to get a waiver from the shingle supplier, not the contractor in order to have been protected. Since we did not pay the supplier directly, it's highly unlikely he would have given us a waiver.

Furthermore, the shingle supplier gave this contractor an open credit account and let him run up his bill to $10,900.00+. The three homeowner's are being sued for the cost of their shingles; which is equivalent to approx. $8,000.00; which means the contractor already owed the supplier $2,900.00+ when he was granted the additional credit. Seems to me the supplier should bear some responsibility for letting the contractor get in so deep.

As for the bond? Do we put a claim in for part of it or not? What is the reason we would make a claim to the bond company? The bond amount totals $12,500.00; of which the plaintiff is entitled to recover from the bond company the sum of $7,500.00.

We already paid an attorney $1400.00 for an answer to the complaint. What else is an attorney going to do for us?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanics lien [ 1 Answers ]

I performed some extra services beyond the written contract and the owner of the business refuses to pay me. I have them in collections but have had no progress. Can I lien the building/property in which they operate their business? Thanks

What does Contractor need to file a lien? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a verbal agreement with a contractor to complete work for $30K by April 2008 (work started Jan 2008). He did not meet deadline and never finished final details of project. Said he was "done" end of September 08. He used an additional $10K of my Home Depot credit line to purchase supplies...

Mechanics lien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small business owner and am concerned about non-payment for services.

Lien on a contractor [ 4 Answers ]

My husband & I are contracting our home out to be built. We hired a framer whom was referred to us by the company President Homes out of Council Bluffs whom we are going through. We have had nothing but issues with the framer. We had to have them redo numerous things & now he is mad because we...

View more questions Search