Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmahoney Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Touchplate system -1950s home-install dimmer?
    Hi there. My home was built in the 1950s and apparently has a touchplate electrical system. I recently had a light fixture installed and wanted to have a dimmer control it. However, the dimmer that I got didn't work with the system. My electrician wasn't sure if there was a dimmer that would work with a touchplate system. Does anyone know about this topic? Thanks for your help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 02:25 PM

There are different versions of what you call a tough plate system. Tell me what you touch to light your lamp, the lamp itself?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Go through this:

Touch-Plate Lighting Inc. ::: DMX, BACnet, Modbus, Latching Relays, MultipWay Switching, Lighting Controls

Hopefully this helps.

Oct 1, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    There are different versions of what you call a tough plate system. tell me what you touch to light your lamp, the lamp itself??
    Actually, I use "switches" in our house to turn on all lights--they have two square buttons on them--one on top of the other. Push top button to turn on, bottom button to turn off.

Oct 1, 2009, 10:48 AM

Actually, I use "switches" in our house to turn on all lights--they have two square buttons on them--one on top of the other. Push top button to turn on, bottom button to turn off.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 03:20 PM

Go with what TK gave you, probably better than any link I can give.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 04:30 PM

Several Manufacturers make this type system(low voltage/small conductor)for control of the Loads. Probem I feel is you are stuck with the Manufacturer, sometimes due to existing conductors, I always felt a Conduit should be in place to allow Standard(switches/dimmers) wiring to be used should you not desire to invest in sometimes very costly Systems.
    Looks like they are still in business according to above link, you may want to compare Style and Cost with Other systems, LiteTouch May be an Option.
    How Many conductors to Keypad/Switch Locations, and what size wire?
    You could actually go to the Control Panel and Jump out say a Bedroom light so it has constant Power, then install a Light/Fan with a remote. Do you have 1 or several modules out, and are they available?
    http://www.litetouch.com/content.aspx?pg=2003
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Oct 1, 2009, 07:11 PM
    In
    althewaxman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Al the wax man- Retired 42 year master electrician- Installed and maintained Touch Plate Systems- The only way a dimmer can be installed is to rewire it to line voltage and install the dimmer! Cut in box and rewire! Have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Later operating system install [ 12 Answers ]

My computer is running Windows 98 SE. It has a Pentium II processor, 256 MB of RAM, and I have available a 19 gig hard drive. How could I install a later system? What would be best? Will my computer support it? Thanks!

Trying to install a Lutron Maestro Fan/Light dimmer switch with a CD52 ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find the wiring diagram for my ceiling fan but I'm not having any luck, best I could find is this forum. I've got the lutron MA-LFQ-3 kit which has a fan control canopy module and a master/slave light/fan dimming combo. I have the fan apart and it has a molex...

Install second operating system [ 7 Answers ]

If I install a second hard drive with its own operating system will I have in effect two separate computers in one PC? I am trying to save the space of buying a second computer for my daughter to use without worrying about her accidentally corrupting my files. I also don't want to spend the money...

Install DVD to Satalite system [ 3 Answers ]

How do I hook up a DVD palyer to my satalite system?

Install operating system [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up a second computer that has no operating system. Is there any way to use the operating system on my working computer and install it in the second one?

View more questions Search