Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pantera2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Wireless USB modem
    I'm new here so please go easy on me. I currently use satellite internet and am not at all happy with what I have. Cable and DSL are not an option. I am wanting to switch to Verizon wireless service. My question is: If I use their wireless USB modem on my home PC will I still be able to use my Linksys router for the laptop?

Thanks in advance,
    P2
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 02:04 PM

There are lots of unanswered questions in your post.

Usually there are a few diffeent ways to connect to a wireless provider.

1. A USB dongle device (Note A)
    2.USB tethering (Note B
    3. An Aircard (PC card or PCMIA) (Note A)
    4. Bluetooth tethering Note B
    5. A mobile router Note C

A: phone and internet at the same time not possible
    B: Can use phone at thie same time, #2 can sometimes charge battery in phone
    C: Multiple connections are possible including wired

Example for #5: Cradlepoint Mobile Broadband Router MBR1000 - Cyberguys.com

You may or may not be able to use internet connection sharing if using a device attached to a PC, but it may not be likely. It depends on how many addresses are handed out by DHCP. e,g, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 is handed out. The router will circumvent that.

These cellular routers don't come cheap.

Generally you have to provide an express card to the router which entails putting a SIM in there and you loose the ability to have a phone without a separate line.

Remember that unlimited internet for phone may be different than unlimited internet to a computer.

I use the tethered USB connection and I have used tethered bluetooth. The disadvantage of the latter is that it doesn't charge the celll phone battery.

I have a friend with Verizon data and he is extremely happy with it in terms of speed.

I hope I answered your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect Pantech UM175 wireless broadband modem to Belkin Wireless G router [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Pantech UM 175 wireless broadband modem from Millenicom and I am able to hook it up to a laptop running Vista, a laptop running XP, and a PC running XP individually. However, I would like to have it where I can create a network so that any or all of the computers can access the internet...

Wireless Router Into Modem [ 2 Answers ]

I searched around, but didn't find anything exactly like this: I have a Thompson DSL modem, but it has a router built into it (4 port - yes, the router and modem are all-in-one). I need wireless in my office, so I have a Network Everywhere (Linksys) 4 port wireless router, but I can't get it to...

Wireless modem was cable is now dsl. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a netgear WGR614 wirless router. When I bought it I had cable internet. Now I have DSL. The router will not connect. The DSL modem was programmed and connected through my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. I have a Dell desktop unit also. Both computers run VISTA. I want the desktop to be...

Wireless router-ADSL MODEM [ 2 Answers ]

I have a HUAWEI Smart AX MT882 ADSL Modem and I am trying to connect through a D-LINK WBR 1310 WIRELESS router unsuccessfully even after following the instructions given in the disk carefully. Tell me how I can connect to the net using these two.

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

View more questions Search