Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandalwood7 Posts: 129, Reputation: 25

Sep 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Looking for a good new addictive TV series preferably british
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good TV series to watch. I am a bit fussy. I don't watch/follow TV much but I like to buy DVD's.

I tend to like British shows, Drama, also comedy. Things I have watched recently that I really liked were Breaking Bad, Secret Diary of a Callgirl, Peep Show, Rome, Curb your Enthusiasm.

I don't like things like Desperate Housewives or Sex in the City (So I may not have conventional tastes)

Any help appreciated...
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 29, 2009, 09:23 PM

I like curb your enthusiasm too. You might like Seinfield if you like curb.
    Some funny british shows are Cupling, My Family, and Thin Blue Line.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 11:45 PM

Enjoyed Hustle

IMDB Link
    "Hustle" (2004)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 02:33 PM
    On DVD, you might look into some older series: Blackadder, Yes Minister, Allo Allo, Red Dwarf.
    Lucas2009 Posts: 129, Reputation: 21

Sep 30, 2009, 05:52 PM
    I too am a DVD addict. Here are just a few series titles I picked up, watched and loved.

Carnivale. An HBO series taking place in the 1930's during the dust bowl / great depression era. It is about a traveling carnival that picks up a hitchhiking young man with a mysterious past and a strange almost mystical talent. The show is VERY supernatural based, but executed with style and intelligence.

4400. This show is what the current TV show Heroes should have been. Heroes copied off 4400 so much that's it's a shame no one remembers what started it all. The plot of 4400 is a simple one. One night, in a wooded area of Washington State, four thousand, four hundred people (The 4400)- who were declared as missing people from as way back as 70 years ago- suddenly return in a bright blue flash of light. They have no memory of where they were, or what happened to them. But later, each one of the 4400, slowly begins to develop a different "super power." The DVD collection actually ends with a great finale and explains everything, with no loose ends. It was smart series and presented as if it were real, and not just sci-fi fantasy.

Jericho. Another hidden gem. A small town in the midwest must deal with being cut off and isolated after a nuclear war breaks out in the rest of the USA. Well... at least they think it is a nuclear war. What is it? I won't tell. Great drama, will hook you quickly.

Enjoy.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 30, 2009, 10:24 PM

Hello again. I found a website that has some of the thin blue line episodes if you want to see it:Watch The Thin Blue Line Online - Full Episodes of The Thin Blue Line & More TV Shows Online with blinkx Remote
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 1, 2009, 11:09 AM

A british show I liked was Skins. One of those high school/college drama shows.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 11:20 AM
    The original British version of The Office was wonderful, only two seasons were made; make sure to include the two Xmas specials that tied it all up beautifully.
    NZG1RL Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Oct 16, 2009, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas2009 View Post

4400. This show is what the current TV show Heroes should have been. Heroes copied off 4400 so much that's its a shame no one remembers what started it all.
    Actually, I am a HUGE fan of Heroes! And I don't see any comparisons with 4400 whatsoever (apart from the superpower thing) but no aliens, no spaceships etc...

BUT if its comedy/drama and a little bit cheeky that yr looking for , I suggest you look for a NZ fav, "Outrageous Fortune" (avail on DVD- There are 4 seasons, I suggest grab them all) this is a guaranteed winner. I joke you not!
    Lucas2009 Posts: 129, Reputation: 21

Oct 17, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NZG1RL View Post
    Actually, i am a HUGE fan of Heroes!! and i dont see any comparisons with 4400 whatsoever (apart from the superpower thing) but no aliens, no spaceships etc....
    BUT if its comedy/drama and a lil bit cheeky that yr lookin for , i suggest u look for a NZ fav, "Outrageous Fortune" (avail on DVD- There are 4 seasons, i suggest grab them all) this is a guranteed winner. i joke u not !!
    Aliens? Spaceships? Watch 4400 again. (SPOILER ALERT, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES.) No aliens, no ships, it was people from the future remember? They took people from the past and gave them powers and a mission. And no one said the blue light was a ship. Now as far as the Heroes copying thing I said before, well... in 4400 they created an injection to give powers to normal people. Whoops, heroes did the same thing. In 4400, the super people had to come together (using a message from the future) to defeat an uber powerful super person. Whoops, Heroes did the same as well. 4400 gave you answers and story progression. Heroes, after 4 seasons STILL has so many loose ends and un answered questions. Okay, Heroes is a good show, but, its FAR from original. Heroes has yet to tell us the reason for the powers or the eclipse, and they keep using the same super powers over and over again. Two people who can fly, two people with flame powers, two people who regenerate, two mimics (empaths), two invisible people, two people with super speed... come on!! It is like the writers have never read from the super hero super power manual. There are so many more powers to choose from.
    ZOLTAN123 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 10:29 AM

The inbetweeners is the best programme on telly at mo .or the office in an american workplace
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 18, 2009, 11:02 AM

By far, the best TV series on british TV has been Shameless, closely followed by Hustle and Spooks
    batbat Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2009, 09:36 AM
    I also love the british version of the office and would also recommend "extras" by the same creators and star and just as good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

British TV series Title, late 90's or early 2000's [ 3 Answers ]

Trying to find name of series. Cast of characters, all neighbours in the same street, in no particular order: a dysfunctional family with a low-life father, retarded son and a dog named "balls", 2 gays, a family from India or Pakistan, a young couple trying desperately to have a baby, another...

British TV series [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the name and information i.e. is this series on DVD? It was run in Australia in the late 80s early 90s and called (I think) The City It was set in London Financial district and was about Banking and stock exchange trading Currency trading etc Any help gratefully...

British movie, Scottish soldier in British Army hoapital [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago, perhaps 45 or 50, there was a movie about a Scot in a British Army hospital. He was disliked, but in some manner touched everyone. He died and soldiers who disliked him were sad. I barely remember any more. It seems the Scot soldier was played by an up and coming british actor.

Latin Translation - Preferably by a person. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a translation for the Edmund Burke 'quote' , "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." If that doesn't translate well, there are numerous variations that may work better. Edmund Burke - Wikiquote has many of the versions of the phrase. ...

View more questions Search