Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kymshome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Relinquishing Parental Rights
    Hello,

I am a father of two children in the state of Virginia. At this time I will need to relinquish my parental rights to their mother. Please advise the first steps in this process.

Thanks,
    CB
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Unless the mother agrees, you can't, since you will always be responsible for the child support. You don't have to have visitation and you don't have to see the children, you can give the mother full custody if you want.

To do so, you would hire an attorney, and file a joint motion with the mothers permission, but still the court may not allow it.

If the mother is going to receive any welfare they won't allow it, since the government holds you responsible for part of the child's upkeep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing of Father's Parental Rights [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. My name is Catherine. I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. I need to know what I need to do do get my daughter's father's rights terminated. He's already signed a paper stating he is willingly terminating his rights and got it notarized. I know I went to some site and it said if the...

Father relinquishing parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Please advise me how to relinquish my paental rights. My child's mother wants nothing to do with me and does not want me in the child's life.

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks Scott but I would prefer to do it now and get it over with. I have no problem with being held responsible for the financial obligation but I feel this decision is best for all involved.

Relinquishing parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how lengthy the process for relinquishing your parental rights and if you still have to pay child support after wards... we live in Mississippi

Voluntarily Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I recently heard that my ex has decided to give up his parental rights on our son. He has recently, within the last year, gotten remarried and his new wife does not like my son, nor does my son like her. She has attempted to physically harm me in his presence and now my son doesn't want to see...

View more questions Search