Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Readyforclean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Uneven Sand paint on walls!
    We moved into a new house about a year ago and the living room walls are textured with sand. Whomever did the work was obviously not a professional none of the sand is even there are spots covered in it and some with hardly any at all. I want to repaint it but if I paint over the walls you'll still see all the sand so therefore I am going to have to get rid of the sand first. I want to do the simplest and cheapest way possible. I thought about just using an electric sander but wasn't sure if it would even work. If you have any info on how I should go about this it is greatly appreciated. I am so sick of looking at dirty walls because I can't clean them. I am ready to have a living room I love to come home to!
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2009, 10:41 AM

I would take a 6 inch or so metal putty knife/scraper and run it across all the walls with medium pressure to get the bigger chunks and grits off... Then take the electric sander and give them a buzz... Should be fine.
    Readyforclean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Thank you for your help! I will give it a shot!! :)
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 3, 2009, 06:31 PM

You could tape plastic drop cloths on the floor and doors and use an orange peel areosol spray. I did my dining room and was really satisfied with it. You will have to use a tinted water-based primer on the walls before painting though even if you sand the walls.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Oct 4, 2009, 09:03 AM

Electric sander? Let's consider the dust on that and user know how. If you use one, use a circular small hand sander and light grit. OR just use a sheetrock sander by hand and go over with circular motions. Wear a mask.

Now, prime everything before painting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing paint from plaster walls [ 4 Answers ]

How do I remove old layers of paint to get down to the original plaster walls?

Stripping paint from plaster walls... [ 2 Answers ]

I've been able to chip away most of the paint on my 1930's houses' plaster walls down to the plaster. There were two layers of paint and they came off very easily from the wall... almost like an eggshell off an egg. There was a border along the top of the wall, and the paint layers under the...

Removing old paint from interior walls [ 1 Answers ]

I just repainted my bedroom and as it dried it started blustering and peeling. I used eggshell paint. How do I fix this problem?

Basement Walls are stone, mortar is turning to Sand. [ 2 Answers ]

The walls of my Basement are Rock with mortar fillings. The mortar is letting go, and is like sand. What can I use to seal this and fill the wall with mortar. I tried to fill the gaps with hyd. Cement, but it falls out due to the sand, it sifts constantly. Redoing the basement with blocks is not an...

View more questions Search