Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fullyfunctional Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 04:23 AM
    US visa for EU citizen with working spouse in the US
    Hiya,

I'm a European (EU) citizen living in the Philippines with my filipina wife, who has philippine citizenship.

My wife is applying for a job as a caregiver or domestic helper in the US through a local agency. Chances are high that she will be employed soon and thus receive due working visa.

My question is whether I as her spouse will be eligible for a US visa to stay with her. I will not work, I already have an income, just stay with her, or if necessary stay in a separate place.

Thankful for any helpful replies.
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Sep 30, 2009, 09:18 AM

Caregiver or domestic helper in the US??

There's not much demand of that kind of job in the US! US can just hire an American to do that job why get a foreigner specially Filipino? American embassy is so strict to Filipinos.

US is usually just accommodating licensed professionals such as nurses, doctors and engineers.

Trust me, you don't have to worry leaving and staying the US. Tell her she's being duped by that school. There's this thing they call 2 year ASSOCIATE DEGREE IN NURSING offered by this popular school. A course unheard of since even registered nurses (4 yr course) are having a difficulty to get spot and there's no demand at all.

On a lighter note, she may have more chance in Canada or Europe. US is a one in a million wish and tell her to just study nursing instead so wherever she go, she'll always have a place. I know a lot of people who studied care giving but none of them got deployed.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Sep 30, 2009, 02:12 PM

What visa is she getting?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 05:01 PM

If you are talking about work visa for caregiver/domestic helper, sorry... she won't make it unless she goes for licensed registered nurse

Oct 2, 2009, 03:58 AM

Hiya,

Thanks for the input, lawanwadee. I think the agency is actually only processing tourist visas (last thing I heard).

I know well about the situation in the US, and how far more easier it is with Canada (which we consider as well). But there are examples of those who have found caregiver jobs in the US (with extremely poor working conditions - but still surfaced).

On the other hand there are actually US companies seeking for filipino employees in various fields, from un- to high educated labor force. You would even see ads for it now and then. But that is rare though, and tons of crowds seeking for every place.

However, for the agencies that do help process working visas in the field, inclusive of licensed registered nurse, what kind of visa would that be?

Oct 2, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fullyfunctional View Post
    Hiya,

Thanks for the input, lawanwadee. I think the agency is actually only processing tourist visas (last thing I heard).

I know well about the situation in the US, and how far more easier it is with Canada (which we consider as well). But there are examples of those who have found caregiver jobs in the US (with extremely poor working conditions - but still surfaced).

On the other hand there are actually US companies seeking for filipino employees in various fields, from un- to high educated labor force. You would even see ads for it now and then. But that is rare though, and tons of crowds seeking for each and every place.

However, for the agencies that do help process working visas in the field, inclusive of licensed registered nurse, what kind of visa would that be?

Registered nurses in the US belong to "extraordinary ability" category like distinct Filipino singers, actors or athletes (like Manny Pacquiao) with proven record of achievements and usually offered with immigrant visa, permanent residency that includes immediate family. Others just offer temporary working visa.

You know why those people stucked in a poor working conditions? They got nowhere to go. They started with a lie and got no choice but live with it. If you entered with all legit papers, then you will all have the nerve in the world to fight what's for you.

If this agency is suggesting to get tourist visa first, that's a red flag. Never ever give money (which I'm certain they will and the money come from your own income). Tourist visa doesn't allow you to work and for Filipinos, it's really hard to get it if you're not rich: got car, got big house, big land, well earning business, maybe famous, international travel records, etc.

There are Filipinos obtaining tourist visa in Dubai and once they're there, they'll apply for a job. Others make it, others don't, it's a huge risk and not suggested. If you want to make sure that every process is legit, go to DOLE (Dept. of Labor and Employment) in Ortigas instead of agencies because DOLE doesn't ask anything or at least verify the existence of this agency. Do it yourself and never deal with a fixer.

A lot of scams there buddy. I'm happy you wrote, saved your heart and pocket.

Oct 6, 2009, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by superk View Post
    Registered nurses in the US belong to "extraordinary ability" category like distinct Filipino singers, actors or athletes (like Manny Pacquiao) with proven record of achievements and usually offered with immigrant visa, permanent residency that includes immediate family. Others just offer temporary working visa.

You know why those people stucked in a poor working conditions? They got nowhere to go. They started with a lie and got no choice but live with it. If you entered with all legit papers, then you will all have the nerve in the world to fight what's for you.

If this agency is suggesting to get tourist visa first, that's a red flag. Never ever give money (which I'm certain they will and the money come from your own income). Tourist visa doesn't allow you to work and for Filipinos, it's really hard to get it if you're not rich: got car, got big house, big land, well earning business, maybe famous, international travel records, etc.

There are Filipinos obtaining tourist visa in Dubai and once they're there, they'll apply for a job. Others make it, others don't, it's a huge risk and not suggested. If you want to make sure that every process is legit, go to DOLE (Dept. of Labor and Employment) in Ortigas instead of agencies because DOLE doesn't ask anything or at least verify the existence of this agency. Do it yourself and never deal with a fixer.

A lot of scams there buddy. I'm happy you wrote, saved your heart and pocket.
    Hiya superk, thanks for the straightforward input. It was 'right on the money' you could say.:)

I do see the connection with these tourist visas now, and what they actually aim for.

As for employment in the US, they do still ask for philippine nurses and there might be a few caregivers wanted as well too.

One other thing is that many agencies that can provide work abroad ask for quiet a huge fee to administer the employment and proper paperworks. We're talking about at least $2000. I find it hard to believe that even if you go through government sponsored agencies, or DOLE, that you will not have some kind of fees. Question is what their level is at?

By the way, as you've mentioned DOLE and Ortigas. Do you know about the canadian center for immigration issues that was on the fifth level of Megamall and where it's moved to now? It's all gone from Megamall by now. And no one at Megamall info desk knows anything about it if you ask them.

PS. You asked in another (off-topic) thread if Illuminati is real. Yes, it is.

Oct 6, 2009, 04:36 AM

Yes you will pay some fees but it won't be that costly compared agencies and it's guaranteed that its not a monkey business. Veteran OFW's say agencies are faster but just make sure that this agency is recognized by DOLE. If you're lucky, you can find an agency or employer that offers "pay later" (part of your salary when already deployed goes to the agency for some time).

DOLE's job postings can be easily noticed as you enter the gate. It's just in front of Robinsons Galleria along EDSA. They own the entire building so just ask the guards where to start.

I know that Canadian Immigration offfice you're talking about but I didn't know they're closed now. They closed the one in Makati before. I've never been in Megamall latel but there are a lot of ofice clasified adds like that on Manila Bulletin on Sundays.

Oct 6, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Yes you will pay some fees but it won't be that costly compared agencies and it's guaranteed that its not a monkey business. Veteran OFW's say agencies are faster but just make sure that this agency is recognized by DOLE. If you're lucky, you can find an agency or employer that offers "pay later" (part of your salary when already deployed goes to the agency for soem time).

DOLE's job postings can be easily noticed as you enter the gate. It's just in front of Robinsons Galleria along EDSA. They own the entire building so just ask the guards where to start.

I know that Canadian Immigration offfice you're talking about but I didn't know they're closed now. They closed the one in Makati before. I've never been in Megamall latel but there are a lot of ofice clasified adds like that on Manila Bulletin on Sundays.
    Hiya superk,

Well said again.

Good if not so high amount but maybe processing time is very slow, I mean filipino time slow. Could be worth some money to process faster - if not the amount is absurdly big. I've heard stories about nurses paying $4000 in fees.:confused:

Can the employees at DOLE help out with all and any questions?

What can you say about WORKABROAD.PH? Serious?

Will check out Manila Bulletin, Sunday edition.

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2009, 07:50 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry I mixed up thingsa little bit. The office in Ortigas I'm talking about is POEA (Philippine Overseas Employment Agency)
    not DOLE (Malate, Manila). POEA though is under DOLE.

Nurses when deployed are well paid in the US and get permanent residency, can take their immediate family with them. Once they arrive there, everything is prepared: house, car and groceries so they won't mind paying that amount. My cousin is now in the US the other one is in Saudi Arabia. I'm sure the one in the US paid more.

It's slow because you are just posting a job that you want and they will still look for an employer for you. There are times you can't choose what country if you're in a hurry. Add to that are seminars, NBI and police clearance, medical certificate, obtaining working visa, ironing problems with birth certificate and getting Certificate of employment from your previous employer. Just too complicated.

Workabroad.ph is just an advertising medium like Manila Bulletin. It doesn't have a control on who's fake or not so it still boils down to who's advertising.
    They have a disclaimer below their page that says:

Note: WorkAbroad.ph only advertises job openings and does not guarantee and will not take responsibility for their accuracy and reliability. Also, it does not collect any payment from jobseekers.

Again, agency has yet to be verified in POEA in Ortigas. To verify click this link Philippine Overseas Employment Administration. There are some agencies who used to be cleared but had their license suspended for some reasons so beware of that too. http://www.poea.gov.ph/cgi-bin/agList.asp?mode=all

Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) got everything you need.

I'll check this workabroad.ph. I want to go to Singapore. The links are very very very helpful. Check item No.9.
    http://www.poea.gov.ph/html/how%20to_ir.html

Combine workabroad links and reading POEA site, you and your wife will be safe.

Oct 6, 2009, 09:02 AM

Hiya superk.

Well, yeah, I was thinking about the stuff with DOLE and POEA. I know the red and yellow POEA building, across the street from Robinson and EDSA Shrine. Between Santolan and Ortigas stations. All right, we'll check that one out.

Quiet amazing service here in the PH that your government actually helps people to get jobs abroad. Nothing of that sorts exists in Europe. Good for people who want better salaries, but I think not good for your country to lose its best work force (another debate, I know).

Thanks for the infos shared.

Finally, can I ask why Singapore? Is it very good there?

Oct 6, 2009, 06:43 PM

Philippines is overpopulated so it's fine that other people leave and work somewhere else. They bring dollars, that helps economy when they send remittances for their family.

I prefer US but since I'm not a nurse, then I'll prefer Singapore. First they speak English (I am scared to be in a country that hardly speaks English.) and they are close to Philippines (physically). Yes, I heard its good there.

Oct 8, 2009, 02:05 AM
    Philippines is overpopulated so it's fine that other people leave and work somewhere else. They bring dollars, that helps economy when they send remittances for their family.

I prefer US but since I'm not a nurse, then I'll prefer Singapore. First they speak English (I am scared to be in a country that hardly speaks English.) and they are close to Philippines (physically). Yes, I heard its good there.
    Hiya superk,

Thanks for the inputs anew.

Not fine for any country to lose its best work force, but good for the countries that receive skilled people into their economy. Also this trade ain't a good deal in the long run since you've paid a lot to educate and train these people and the values they could have created in the country will be missing when they go away. Can't add up that by far with remittances! That's my take on this. But, hey, it's still another topic!

It's good with Singapore that they do speak english. Yet it's still a predominantly muslim country, and unless you are muslim you will always be an outsider and a second class citizen (if you would ever get citizenship). But safe pay I'm sure you will get.

Anyway, if you seek a job in Singapore why couldn't you seek the same job in the US?
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Oct 8, 2009, 07:58 AM

Many of the non-nursing positions are using the J-1 exchange visitor visa.

Oct 8, 2009, 03:53 PM

Singapore is a multi-religious country. Around 51% of resident Singaporeans practice Buddhism and Taoism. Muslims are just 15%.

I can't have the same job in the US because I am not in a medical field. My skills doesn't have a demand in the US either. On top of that, I don't have big assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse on L2 visa not working, do I required SSN for Tax filing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1 visa. My wife and daughter are living with me. Both are having L2 visa. My wife is not working. I have question about tax filing. While tax filing which filing status I need to select. Also, I don't have SSN for either. When I start filing online, it ask me SSN of my wife....

L1 visa with spouse not working [ 9 Answers ]

I have a few questions needing clarifications about filing taxes on L1 visa. I am married and have submitted the W4 to my employer. My spouse does not work. 1. To file taxes, does my spouse need a SSN? 2. Do I need to file tax as "Married filing jointly"? Please let me know options here

AAAA US Citizen filing papers for spouse with F1 Visa currently living in the USA. [ 1 Answers ]

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a US Citizen and my husband is currently enrolled in a university with F1 visa. I know I have to fill out the following forms: Forms filled out : I 130 ,I 485 , G 325, I 864, I 765, I 131 I also know that I need to...

Working in PA on a H1B Visa. Canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I am currently working on an H1B Visa for a non-profit. I am a Canadian citizen and been working here since the start of Sept 2006. Which Non Resident form do I fill out for federal income taxes? Is it the 1040EZ? Also, must I fill out a (PA) state income tax form as well? As a H1B...

You.S. Citizen Filing with J1 Visa Spouse [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I were married on Dec. 20, 2006. She entered the country in January 2006 on a J1 Visa, and she earned a nominal income working as an Au Pair. We are in the process to changing her status to Permanent Legal Resident, but I'm not sure how we should do our 2006 taxes (file jointly? Claim...

View more questions Search