Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ErinKNikky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 04:12 AM
    Discontinued Operations Nightmare Due to Hopsitalization
    I was recently hospitalized for 2 weeks and missed class. I am working on a problem and have found that I really need help! Here are the problems:

Requirement A:

On August 31, 2009, the end of the fiscal year, Bogey Enterprises completed the sale of one of its business segments for $20 million. The segment qualifies as a component of the entity according to SFAS No. 144. The book value of the assets of the segment was $16,000,000. The operating loss of the segment during the fiscal year was $5.6 million. Pretax income from continuing operations for the year totaled $7.8 million. The income tax rate is 30%. Prepare the lower portion of the fiscal year ended 8/31/09 income statement beginning with pretax income from continuing operations. Ignore EPS
    disclosures.

I would love to know if the answer I got was right... I got a final net income of $4,340,000
    Could anyone let me know how to do this... if I am right... or what I need to do?

Requirement B:
    Refer to the situation in Requirement A that Bogey’s business segment was not sold during the fiscal year ended 8/31/09, but was held for sale at fiscal year-end. Assume instead that the estimated fair value of the segment’s assets, less costs to sell, on August 31, 2009 was $14,000,000. Prepare the lower portion of the fiscal year ended 8/31/09 income statement beginning with pretax income from continuing operations. Ignore EPS disclosures.

Lost on this one as well... I could not even figure out how this really changed.

Thanks for the help!
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 04:37 AM

The best way to solve a problem (or so I've been told) is to write the main points down in the shortest way. For example:
    Date: August 31, 2009 Fiscal Year End
    Sale: Segment of Bogey Enterprises
    Amount of Sale: $20,000,00.00
    (and rest of problem)
    You could try this and see if it helps you solve the problem. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discontinued furniture [ 5 Answers ]

Where can I buy furniture pieces from discontinued lines? I have 4 chairs to a dining set and would like 2 more. I do not know the name of this line but it is from the company Universal Furniture.

Discontinued operations impact on earnings per share [ 1 Answers ]

I have looked all over but I can not find what the discontinued operations impact on earnings per share is?? HELP! Can anyone point me in the right direction?:confused:

Discontinued,rims [ 2 Answers ]

I,have,had,a,car,wreck,and,one,of,my,rims,I,think,has,been,discontinued.I,was,wondering,if,there,is,a,website,that,offers,discontinued,rims?

View more questions Search