Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jajoma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2004, 09:18 PM
    Queens worrying behaviour
    Hi,
    I hope someone can put my mind at rest?? after searching the net I still am no wiser, my cat Angel has a litter of 5 kittens, they are 3weeks and 3 days old, she is a good mother, never far away from them and if one should squeak she's straight back there to see what's up, washes them and feeds them like she should and they are all thriving, my problem is that whenever they venture out of their box she seems to get very rough with them :(, grabing them, no claws are out, and holding them by the head and neck, not biteing just holding, I have stopped them from getting out of the box at the moment, I am worried that she will hurt them or even suffocate them :'(, although she doesn't hold them for that long, lets them go then holds them again, is this normal?? I really don't like the look of this, please help, I am getting nervous about leaving them with her in case they get out of the box when I am not there. Thank you, jajoma
    Kaleila Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
    Re: queens worrying behaviour
    :) Hello Jajoma
    It is complete natural that the mother grabs her pups by the neck. Don't worry she will not hurt them. that is the only way she can carry a lost one back to its nest.
    Have you ever seen a movie from the wild where lions or wolfs carry their little ones? The same way as your cat does. So just let the mother cat do her job. You still can observe but I don't believe you have to worry.
    All the best to you and your little cat family.
    Kaleila

Jul 3, 2004, 01:20 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply :), but she isn't carrying them just holding them and by the front of the neck, is this still all right?? thanks jajoma

Jul 3, 2004, 02:57 PM
    Queens worrying behaviour
    Hi again,
    It seems she just likes to stop them from moving further and yes the neck is usually where mother cats or dogs grab the pup. Maybe try to let the kittens do what they like and if one leaves the box you might experience that mom will grab it and actually carry it back. Usually any good natured mother animal won't hurt or kill the little ones unless they are ill and they sense it, usually that happens in nature. So again don't worry too much just observe and work with your cat let her do her job as mom. Too much interference by human hand is not always good, only when it seems to be absolutely necessary.
    Take care
    Kaleila ;)

Jul 4, 2004, 07:30 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks again for your reply, I will follow your advice and see how that goes :), angel hasn't given me anything to worry about during the time she has had these kittens except this so I will trust her and just keep a little eye on her, honestly I have turned into a mother hen ::), where these kittens are concerned. Thanks a lot, I will let you know how I get on, or should I say how angel gets on. :)

Jul 4, 2004, 12:30 PM
    :D You are very welcome and yes I am happy to hear what happens.
    Good luck
    Kaleila

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sociopathic behaviour herditary? [ 7 Answers ]

Lately I've received copies of several medical records for both of my biological parents (both are deceased). I wanted these files primarily because I'm expecting my first child and want my family to be as healthy as possible, and I also for my own health information. I've been going over my...

Puppy behaviour help needed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I need some advice if at all possible please. I have a 10 month old puppy - a chocolate lab/weimaraner cross - and we also have four ferrets. The ferrets are used to being out of their cages and having the run of the house for most of the day, but since we got the puppy, they have had to...

Sudden Violent Behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is about nine months old. He is a neutered Husky Shepherd cross. He is normally a friendly kind albeit hyper dog. Tonight however, he lunged and snapped at my fiancé for no reason. Curtis (fiance) was sitting on the couch petting Nico (the dog) when the dog lashed out with his front paws...

Weird behaviour [ 3 Answers ]

My siamese cat, nearly 10 years old, has a weird behaviour which I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of... right after I give him a special treat and he eats it, he goes to my bedroom and howls piteously for about 10 minutes, unless I tell him to be quiet or pay attention to him. This only...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search