Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Always_asking Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Creating gifts for gift baskets
    I have found myself short of money coming up to christmas this year. I love to give people personal meaningful gifts at christmas so they can see that effort has been put into the gift etc. Am planning to make gift baskets for family members with all home made items (home made jams etc) what else could I make myself that would still look good?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 09:15 PM

Penuche fudge, chocolate fudge, bourbon balls, spiced pecan halves, mug, tea bags, coffee singles, small packages of homemade cookies, a bath spa basket with packets of bubble bath, bar perfumed soap, loofah, paperbacks to read in bath, small bottles of nice lotion or shampoo.

Dry cookie mix in mason jars
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:40 PM
    I was thinking about making dry stuff layered in jars, like soup, dips, cocoa, etc. You can find recipes on line and they look very nice layered in the jars, just put a little card with instructions. You could even go with something like 'just add chicken'

If the new mason jars are too much $, go to the thrift stores and pick up any jars that have good lids. Keep in mind that most unrefrigerated stuff (even dry) is only good for about 3 months. It won't hurt any one, just won't taste as good.

I've been making jams and pickeled items and cookies for people for years, they love it and always bring the empty jars back, so they get more the next year.:)
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
    I forgot, you can always go with themes in the basket also...
    Like Italian, spaghetti, sauce, red wine, garlic (for bread) etc.

And the dollar store (if you have it) has tons of stuff for baskets and wrappings.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 09:45 PM

I have a terrific recipe for refrigerator bread and butter pickles - no hot bath - just slice small cukes and add the spiced liquid, then refrigerate.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 09:47 PM

Basket or tin of assorted mini muffins -- but would have to be made just before giving them
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I have a terrific recipe for refrigerator bread and butter pickles - no hot bath - just slice small cukes and add the spiced liquid, then refrigerate.
    I would love to have that, my Mother in Law loves those!:)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Oct 2, 2009, 01:21 AM

How about chocolate covered pretzels with sprinkles on them. Those dry flat sponges are cute you can use them for the tag and wriote on them. Making your own book marks, ribbons, charms,etc. and pinecones with scented candles dripped on them and spices on them for the fireplace starters. Hope I helpede a bit.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckynut View Post
    pinecones with scented candles dripped on them and spices on them for the fireplace starters. hope I helpede a bit.
    How do you make those pine cone starters?:)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Oct 4, 2009, 11:22 PM

Just got home from a family trip. Anyway to make the pinecones, just take a old candle and let it drip onto the pinecones and sprinkle with cinnamon while they are still warm. You don't need much to smell good. Then they are used for fire starters. They lit easily and the wax keeps them burning a while long to catch the logs on fire. And if put next to the fireplace in a basket they are a room freshener. Cheap and easy.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 7, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Hi,
    Check out Recipes, Cooking Tips, Home Decorating Ideas, Crafts, Gardening, Food and Dessert Recipes, and Entertaining from Martha Stewart for some great ideas. She has a Christmas gift section. Tons of great ideas! :)

Marthastewart.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baskets/strainers used at top of downspouts [ 7 Answers ]

Does baskets/strainers used at the top of downspouts to keep them from clogging?

I'm diabetic are these gift baskets suitable? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm diabetic are these gift baskets suitable?: Diabetic Hampers Thanks, Giles

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

Form 1116 and the baskets; allocating Cdn taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have many clients who live in Canada and have no US income. According to this Form, one has to divide their foreign income/taxes into two boxes, the passive box and the general box. As a result of the dividend tax credit in Canada, the taxes on divdend income earned if the taxable income is...

View more questions Search