Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Sep 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Surgery for ovarian cysts?
    I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with having surgery on their ovarian cysts? I have a new gyn and I have only seen her twice but she has done an ultrasound-vaginal both times. The first time my cyst in my left ovary was about 5 cm now it has grown bigger and I also have a fibroid and a much smaller cyst in my right ovary-she did not say how big that one was just too small too worry about right now. I really want to have children but she says she may have to remove my left ovary. Has anyone else had this surgery and later had children? I am just really scared right now.:confused:

Sep 30, 2009, 05:53 PM

Hi can someone give me advice concerning this please? I found out today my surgery is Tuesday oct 6 2009 at 2:45pm and I talked to the doctor she said again I may lose the entire ovary. In fact she may have to do an adbominal surgery instead of the laposcopry it just depends... any advice anybody have this type of surgery before?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 2, 2009, 09:12 AM

I lost my right ovary to cancer 11 years ago and my sister lost 1/2 an ovary to cysts.

It is routine and even if you loose your ovary, having one is enough to keep your fertility.

When you have one ovary instead of two, the remaining one works "overtime" so you will most likely ovulate each month. (The common misconception is that you will only ovulate every other month)

I have had miscarriages (for different reasons) but I'm pregnant now and this is the 3rd time I have been in 1 year.

Good luck!

Oct 5, 2009, 10:16 AM

Can ovarian cysts cause a disappearing positive on a pregnancy test? This happened twice a positive came up at once and then the line disappeared. I only took a test because my last period was so light it was like it was hardly there. I thought it was just because of my ovarian cysts making my period all light. But it also came five days early this month. I had an ultrasound about a week after the bleeding and she did not say I was pregnant or anything. Tomorrow at the hospital they will do a blood test- we have been having unprotected sex I just did not thing it was possible to get pregnant with an ovarian cyst so big-5cm.I also have a very small one in my right ovary-could I be pregnant now or should I not worry about this?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 6, 2009, 08:16 AM

I can't tell you for sure if a cyst would cause a pregnancy test to be positive.

However, even with cysts on one or both ovaries, its possible to become pregnant.

The blood test should give you accurate results.

Oct 8, 2009, 02:22 PM

So I guess I was not pregnant or anything. I had the surgery at 2:45pm Tuesday. They were able to drain the cyst but leave the ovary. They did say I have endometrosis and also my left fallopian tube is closed or blocked. This could be because I have a severe PID in 1996. They did a laposcopry then to drain fluid from my abdomen. My gyn is recommending that I either go on the birth control pill and quit smoking or due hormonal therapy to induce menopause or get a hysteroctomy. However my medical doctor has known me for nine years and knows I want a family. She says I do not need to follow any of this gyn's options. If I am meant to conceive I should be able to naturally and also she says I will probably go through menopause naturally in another 4 to 5 yrs-I am 35. I had complications from my surgery though and had to return to the ER wed at 2 am. They diagnosed me with urinary retention and al;so a UTI. They let me come home today. I am feeling kind of depressed and also just wore out.

Oct 11, 2009, 06:35 AM

I have another question. Would it be possible to get pregnant from unprotected sex I had before my surgery? They were supposed to also be doing a d and c which they said was standard procedure after doing a laposcopry. However after my surgery my boyfriend said the doctor only said she drained my cyst then cleaned me up. I am going to call her office Monday and ask if she did the d and c. I know I still have a very small ovarian cyst on my right ovary. The thing is that since surgery my breasts have grown 1 inch bigger and they constantly feel swollen and hurt. Also I keep feeling sick to my stomach. Should I expect a light period even if they did a d and c? Is it possible to have gotten pregnant if they did not do a d and c? I am just so confused.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovarian Cysts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I suffer from ovarian cysts... there are days I can't even get out of bed because the pain is so bad. What are some at home remedies I could do to help ease the pain?

I have 3 ovarian Cysts and I can't loose weight... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, found out that I have 3 ovarian cysts. 1 on my left and 2 on my right. I always seem to have some pain on my right side. I miss my periods for months a t a time and I have noticed that I can't loose weight! I had went to the doc because I didn't have a period for 5 months.. she did a ultra...

Painful ovarian cysts [ 1 Answers ]

I am a thirty year old female who has been having pelvic pain since September 2006 I went to two doctors before christmas one said I had an enlarged ovary and sent me for an external ultrasound which found nothing and the second doctor said the same thing I was tested for std's infections etc all...

View more questions Search