Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Fuel solenoid on Sears carb
    Clarke will likely be the only responder but can anyone explain the purpose of the electric fuel solenoid on the bowl of a Sears tractor carb? Is it just to stop the flow of fuel from flooding the carb after you shut down the ignition?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 07:55 PM

Biggest purpose is "fuel cut", but it likely has the primary purpose to reduce emissions.

In a gravity system, fuel will leak past the fuel valve essentially evaporating gasoline slowly and contributing to increased emissions.

They may have also had to add it, so you have distinct systems, off, idle and power sections of the throttle based on position. You want the off to idle regeime to be abrupt and not gradual to keep emissions in check.

If there is a fuel pump involved, the fuel cut solenoid will help prevent dieseling as well.

In some of the later model carburated cars, you had a fuel cut solenoid and a bowl vent solenoid and of course the charcoal canister.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 07:10 AM

Hi,
    It can and does serve a number of purposes, but did not come into common use until the common use of the OHV engine. An engine without a working ignition ground to shut it off but a working fuel solenoid will run 2-3 seconds before it exhausts the fuel supply in the jets.
    It was installed because the leaner running engines are more prone to after-fire in the muffler, which can particularly harm an OHV engine. Engines should be throttled down for a few seconds before turning them off. Kohler single-cylinder Command engines are particularly susceptible to flywheel key shearing if this is not done. They are less likely to cause valve train damage because they use hydraulic lifters. Engines with solid tappets can slowly bow the pushrods.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys, Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel solenoid [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove the fuel solenoid from my briggs and straton 14hp engine.. model # 287707?

Fuel solenoid [ 9 Answers ]

I have an 18 hp Briggs. It will not start. Was running great then just quit. Was told to check the fuel solenoid. I did! Put it back in and it cranked for a second or two. Heard stories about this same event and putting in a new solenoid did not seem to help. Should I pu a new one in? :confused:

Bad fuel solenoid? [ 2 Answers ]

If I spray starting fluid or pour a little gas in my carb will my mower start if my fuel solenoid is bad

MTD Briggs 16.5 fuel solenoid [ 11 Answers ]

How can I determine if I have a bad fuel solenoid on my mower. Mower turns over great but will not start. Had fuel dump into the oil - changed it and dried out the valve cover and spark plug. Disconnected the kill wire on the coil. Gets spark when tested plug on head. Any other suggestions?

View more questions Search