Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puppylove08 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Felon wanting to go to cosmetology school
    I live in Illinois and I would love to go to cosmetology school; however, I have a felony in retail theft. It's the only thing on my record. Does this affect licensure? Would I have to get a waiver? Or would I even be able to go to school?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Hi, puppylove08!

In Illinois, you might be able to get the licensure for something like that, but I'm not absoloutely sure. Please read the information that can be found via clicking on the following link.

Reinstatement of Occupational Licenses

I do know, that depending on the nature of the crime, length of time since the crime, and other factors are involved in obtaining a waiver in certain healthcare professions.

Please read the information that can be found via clicking on the following link.

Illinois Department of Public Health Nurse Aide Registry

I don't know where the profession of cosmetogy falls into this whole process, but it would be worth looking into. Unlike most other states, Illinois does, under certain conditions, allow persons to work and be certified or licensed in a number of different fields. Again, it would depend on a number of factors...

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by puppylove08 View Post
    Does this affect licensure? Would I have to get a waiver?
    Hello p:

Your criminal record effects EVERY professional license you apply for. I don't know if it would be enough to prevent you from getting this particular license, though.. However, to avoid guesswork, I'm sure there's a cosmetology board who grants those licenses. I'm also sure they have written criteria in terms of eligibility. I'd get a hold of them and ask to SEE the publication.

excon
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Hi again, puppylove08!

Here's a link to another site to look for subjects by using keywords in the search function. I looked for cosmetology and quite a few links appeared by doing that.

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Here are also, some other links where you'll find information, specific to Illinois concerning cosmtology.

State of Illinois - Professional Cosmetologist

As excon mentioned about a Board already, turns out there is an actual Illinois State Board of Cosmetology.

Illinois State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements

The contact information can be found for them, via clicking on the link above.

Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 09:15 AM

Even if you get your license if someone runs a background check because you want to work for someone/rent a chair for someone there is a possibility they will not hire you due to your past record.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
    To get a waiver in Illinois, if that's possible, and it is for a number of occupations in Illinois, one of the usual requirements for getting the waiver is that the person provide references and letters of recommendation in order to obtain the waiver.

Such references and letters could be used in the interview process. If someone has committed crimes that are potential bars to certain types of employment, they should be revealing them on applications and during the interview process anyway.

Thanks!
    puppylove08 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 12:13 PM

Thank you Clough for all the information! I called the IDFPR today and have yet to get a hold of them. I've been told it won't affect licensure, but yes, I am VERY well aware that everything shows up on my bkgrd check! I've spent years on the computer trying to find a way to get my life going again and I'm hoping this is it!
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:46 PM
    I'm glad that you called them, puppylove08, and I hope the results will all be in your favor!

I wish and hope only the best for you!

Thanks!
    babyme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 12:36 AM
    Just wondering, did u receive your license??
    feliciamichelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
    Yes you can. I did it last year. I am a licensed cosmetologist, graduate of Capri School of Cosmetology in Illinois.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Felon wanting to live in another Country. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hate to admit it but have no other choice! I am a college graduate have a great husband that is almost finished with his military service and I am a convicted felon. I have tried to start my life over but it's been tough the past 10 years and we are ready to leave the US. I have my passport...

US Felon wanting to live in another Country [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I hate to admit it but have no other choice! I am a college graduate have a great husband that is almost finished with his military service and I am a convicted felon. I have tried to start my life over but it's been tough the past 10 years and we are ready to leave the US. I have my...

Where Can I Learn How to Do Sew In Weaves W/O Having to Go To Cosmetology School? [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning! I would love to learn how to do sew in weaves. However, I do not want to have to go to cosmetology school as I have enough student loan debt as it is (bachelor, MBA and currently in school for a second Masters in IT and Project Management). Over the last few years I have learned...

I'm a felon and a single mom wanting to get a degree [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a single mother who made some bad choices in my past I am paying for them but want to one day over come and become a mother my child can be proud of I want to become a physical theropist in jonesboro Arkansas but I've heard that I can't get help with my felonies what can I do?

Ex felon wanting to get into nursing [ 1 Answers ]

I spent 8 1/2 years in prison for 1st degree robbery and have now been off parole for 2 1/2 years. I am interested in going to nursing school but don't know if I will be allowed to be a nurse after spending all that time and money. I live in Missouri and can't find anything on this subject. I just...

View more questions Search