Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornhusker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Samsung fridge is stuck on 58 degrees but freezer works fine
    Came back from a trip the other day and the food in the fridge didn't seem as cool as normal. Checked the freezer and it was fine. The digital display on the front now says 0 for the freezer and 58 for the fridge. Unit is three years old. I read something on another site about the possibility of it being stuck in defrost mode. The compressor and fan are running from what I can tell. Does anyone have any advice or heard about Samsung having similar problems with newer fridges? Thanks for any input in advance!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 05:04 PM

The other site that advised about the defroster being stuck is probably correct. The defrost timer switch is probably the culprit and needs changed out. If you have a multitester you can test this part yourself to see if it's bad or not.

A quick fix until you can get a repairperson to come and change out this part is to totally turn off the unit, let the coils defrost totally, then turn back on. This fix should hold your fridge for at least a week. And be sure to store your perishable foods in coolers or another fridge or freezer in the meantime. This fix usually takes a few hours to totally defrost the coils of built up ice.

It doesn't matter how old or new a unit is. The defrost timer switch is usually the first thing to go in any refrigerator, and especially a side by side model.

I always keep a fridge thermometer in my fridge side to monitor the refrigerator side.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 07:23 PM

Lots of combination fridge and freezers have only one cold surface that cools both compartments, A fan forces the cool oir into the fridge section, if this fan is not working properly the temps will not be where they are suppose to be.

About the defrost timer, it is probably located in the toe kick section at the bottom of the unit. It should have a screwdriver slot, use a screwdriver and turn the stem about a half of a turn and then watch to see if the fridge acts differently.
    cornhusker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Thanks for the help. Defrosted the fridge on top 6 days ago. Was fine and the temp is now going back up as it probably has iced up again. I am having trouble finding the defrost timer. I can't find an online service manual or schematics breakdown anywhere for a Samsung. Does anyone know where the defrost timer is located? Thanks again
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 07:26 PM

On lots of fridge's they are down under the toe kick of the fridge. I should have a screw driver slot in it so you can set the time. But if it is bad you will need a new one.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 08:41 PM

I like letmetellu's answer. The build up of frost can block the air flow completely and a normal defrost cycle isn't enough to melt the entire block of ice. This may also mean the heater that creates a quick burst of warm air is shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fridge part warm on whirlpool side by side.freezer and blower fine. [ 1 Answers ]

Turned defrost timer off than on. Does this mean that is not the problem?

Kenmore Ref. The fridge in not cold, the freezer is fine [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore ref. the freezer is working but the fridge will not get cold. I have turned up the temp in the fridge but it will not get cold. There is a fan running in the freezer but nothing in the fridge. Help please, I cannot afford another fridge.

Refrigerator not cooling, but freezer works fine [ 2 Answers ]

We have a GE PDS21SBMABS refrigerator with bottom pull out freezer. Past few days I noticed refrigerator was not as cool and not cooling at all now. The freezer seems to work fine. Any ideas?

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: fridge not cold, freezer is frosty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a slightly over a year old Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator (model #: ABR1922FES). Yesterday, I noticed that the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be, so I turned the temp control cooler, and then, as per the owner's manual, waited 24 hours for it to kick in. It didn't....

Samsung fridge coils in freezer are frozen [ 1 Answers ]

My Samsung fridge model RS2556SH is only 3 years old and I am having problems with it cooling the fridge part, the freezer seems to be freezing okay. I took the back pain off the freezer and the evaporator coils are frozen. Do I let these defrost? Will that help the fridge cool again? Any help is...

View more questions Search