Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
    1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp.
    In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax.

I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's return. Our FY just ended in July. Which is the most acceptable way of doing this?

Alternative A: deduct the amount actually paid (cash basis); in other words. Last FY's state income tax PLUS the accrued for this year? In this case, we would be charging 2 years worth of State Inc. tax...

Altenrative B: just deduct the accrued this year.

I obviously believe "B" might be more acceptable to the IRS, but on the other hand, it will go against consistency with previous years,. but some day we will have to make the switch.

What do you recommend we do?

Thank you...
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Sep 28, 2009, 07:10 PM

It looks as though you had a hybrid accounting method since the state income tax has been deducted using the cash method. To correctly fix that you would need to file Form 3115, Change in Accounting Method. This would allow you to properly handle the double deduction question. It has been a while since I have filed a 3115, but you should qualify for one of the automatic changes that do not need IRS approval which would allow you to go ahead an accrue the taxes for the year ended July. You should review Form 3115 and the instructions.
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 06:16 AM

Thank you very much for your quick and precise reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corporations: State Income Tax deductible for Federal Inc. Tax [ 8 Answers ]

I am preparing my 1120 Fed. Inc. Tax return and am a little confused about how State Income taxes accrued during the year play in the determination of the Federal Inc. Tax Payable. Logically, it should look something like this: Steps 1) First, create the P&L Statement following the IRS...

Who qualifies as a dependent for federal income tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

My parents are not US citizens or US residences. They lived with me for 6 months in 2007. Can I claim them as dependents?

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

Is State and City taxes deductible from Groo Income? [ 3 Answers ]

Is state and city taxes deductible from from the gross income (or AGI) In computing for the Taxable Income for the Federal tax? Thanks.

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

View more questions Search