Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Sep 28, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Child's Last Name Issue
    My g/f apparently put her last name down on our daughters birth certificate. Both our names are on the birth certificate as well. I just found out. I want to change my child's name to have my last name. What is my legal right if any. I live in Ohio.

Any opinions welcome.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 04:22 PM

1. The woman giving birth can name her child ANYTHING she wants to. It doesn't have to be your last name, her last name, or anyone you know's last name.

2. For a name change to happen BOTH legal parents must agree to it. If she refuses to change it, you're probably out of luck.

PS--If you REALLY want your GIRLFRIEND to change your child's last name... how about getting MARRIED? If both you and she have the same last name, it's easier to justify the kid having that last name too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child's safety [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question I wanted to just push around to see others thoughts. A friend of mine is a alcoholic. She has openly admitted this, and has tried to get help from AA. When she get's in to the program she seems worse. She'll call my house crying drunk all hours of the day saying she can't...

Child's right [ 1 Answers ]

At what age does a child have the right to say what parent he or she wants to live with in a divorce?

Child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I am due to give birth to my son in 5 weeks , Me and the child father are on talking terms but he has told me he has talked to someone about child support and what not I have no problem with him wanting to be there And helping out and paying child supoprt but I'm giving my son MY LAST NAME ...

Child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting married and when I change my last name my daughter also wants to change her name. Since she only hears from her biological father maybe twice a year she wants to stay the same as me since me and my fiancé are her parents. How do I go about changing her last name?

Child's Last Name [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if Someone could Help me with a certain question I have. A friend of mine is having a child with his X-girlfriend.. Now she is saying that she does not want the child to have His last name. Does he have any rights to this situation or not? :rolleyes: If someone could help me out...

View more questions Search