Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 10:12 AM
    What are my rights? Carpet cleaning question
    I live in a apartment complex in CALIFORNIA. When I moved in my carpet was only cleaned, it is a terrible old carpet.
    I heard once that as a TENANT I have the right to get my carpet cleaned once a year for Free (it should be paid by the landlord). I want to know if this is my right.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 10:30 AM
    That is "urban legend". I've yet to find a state that names this as a "right" - or landlord requirement.

Ask nice, though. You might be surprised. I frequently offer carpet cleaning to longer term residents as an incentive to renew their lease. It's a win-win for both me and the residents.
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Nov 8, 2006, 02:12 AM
    100% Myth the ONLY time you can by law get the carpeting replaced is =IF= the carpet is naturally worn threw where it causes a trip and fall sitch. It's in the health codes for the state of California and I believe all states in the USA. =IF= you make the mistake of damaging the carpet to make it a trip and fall / health code violation you will most likely be CHARGED for the carpet replacement. Yes you can always ask. There are several other types of flooring
    that wear far better than carpeting. If your landlord doesn't want to get involved with changing or cleaning the carpeting then you have a choice. You can give your 30 day notice if you have a month to month agreement and move
    some where else. You can have the carpet cleaned or clean it yourself. Or some times a area rug works wonders to the over all look and feel of your living space. Plus! You can take it with you when you move on! Win Win.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 8, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by corina
    I live in a apartment complex in CALIFORNIA. When I moved in my carpet was only cleaned, it is a terrible old carpet.
    I heard once that as a TENANT I have the right to get my carpet cleaned once a year for Free (it should be paid by the landlord). I want to know if this is my right.
    Sorry - cleaning the carpet is the tenant's responsibility. No professional carpet cleaner will move your furniture and be responsible if something is broken... think about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

New carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had new carpet installed in my home and each time I vacuum it, the vacuum leaves fuz on the carpet. Is this normal for new carpet or is it a problem with my vacuum, which is also new. We have low pile carpet and the vacuum is set on medium height.

Carpet spots [ 4 Answers ]

Lately our carpet has developed these spots about dime sized all over the living room. We thought they were spills from our 1 yr old but they keep multiplying without cause. We think it might be mold but we are not sure. Has anyone seen this and what should we do? We are putting in laminate...

View more questions Search