Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
    Chess sets
    OK, I know it's early. But my boyfriend wants a nice chess set for christmas. He won't elaborate on what exactly "nice" is supposed to mean. And I don't know anything about chess or chess sets. What makes one "nice"? Is it just looks? Is there more to it than that? I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to get some little dollar store type either.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 12:20 AM
    Hi, justcurious55!

How much would you be able and willing to spend, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:23 AM

I started looking around online last night. Chess sets seem to be more expensive than I expected. It seemed everything non-plastic was at least $50. So I guess somewhere between $50-100? Is that reasonable?
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 28, 2009, 02:59 PM

I think glass chess sets are nice. You can find some on eBay. glass chess set, great deals on Toys Hobbies, Pottery Glass on eBay!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 10:46 PM

I've seen non-plastic for as low as $20-30, but I'm not sure if I'd call those "nice." They're reasonably nice to me cause they're better than what I have. LOL. But what I'd call the nicer ones are going to be $50 or higher. Of course, there's some super nice ones that are very expensive, but I don't think you should have to go as high as $100 to get something fairly nice.

Unfortunately, you might not know what he thinks is nice. But just as examples:

Amazon.com: ''Royal 30'' European Wood International Chess Set: Toys & Games
    I don't like this as I think the pieces look cheap. They're not too detailed and the knight almost seems tacky or something. So that's what you get for cheap.

Amazon.com: Consul Chess Set and Board: Toys & Games
    I like these pieces better, but don't think much of the board itself. (That may be taste.) But notice the review on the person who gave a 2. And that's even at $50.

BEST Seller! Monarch Walnut Chess Set with Storage - Chess Sets at Chess Sets
    Then you've got this, which I happen to like. I like the ones with the storage drawers. It just seems nicer than the ones that fold and have the storage compartments. (Though I don't like the pieces as well. There can be some subtle differences on pieces and a lot of "taste" involved.)

That last site is a nice place to look around, simply because of the way they've got things categorized, by basic type, by material, etc. so that you can look at different stuff and see what's available. The Staunton pieces are what I'd call the "classic" style and what I mostly like. (Except for what I've seen called a "German knight" style.) This place is expensive though.

Marble can be nice but I personally think the wood looks very nice, if they are carved well, in nice detail. And I like it to still look like wood, that is, being able to see a bit of grain, etc.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks guys. :)
    Kozyol Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    ok, i know it's early. but my boyfriend wants a nice chess set for christmas. he won't elaborate on what exactly "nice" is supposed to mean. and i don't know anything about chess or chess sets. what makes one "nice"? is it just looks? is there more to it than that? i don't want to spend a fortune but i don't want to get some little dollar store type either.
    I think it depends on the skill level of your boyfriend, and what purposes he has in mind for the wanted chess set. There are many different kinds of chess sets, some more suited for playing, some more as a collector's item.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chess Board [ 8 Answers ]

2 white squares are chosen such that they are not in same square and same column.how many such squares are formed ?:confused:

Chocolate chess pie [ 2 Answers ]

I am from NY and my girlfriend is from NC. I am a pretty good baker and I told her grandmother I would bake her any pie for Thanksgiving (figuring she would say apple or pumpkin maybe pecan). She said chocolate chess pie. This is not a pie I am familiar with (although I did not let her know). I...

Chess-geek FTW [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, is there a website where grandmasters can analyze your games for free?

View more questions Search