Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deeneedshelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 11:34 PM
    What are my rights as a renter in a auctioned forclosed home?
    The house I rent was foreclosed and back in May 09 the landlord send a letter to us stating to stop paying the rent due to the foreclosure. There was mail being sent to the house from banks so we wanted to find out so we could move out. So when he responded we thought "great will give us time to save and find another place after it sells." We finally got a letter from someone that went to the house handed the paper to us and took a picture. It said the house would be sold at a public auction on Sept and well the day got there and it was sold. Our lovely neighbor who had been so kindly guiding us through the process ended up buying the house. Two weeks ago showed a paper to my brother saying he was the new property owner, my brother asked "so how long do we have to vacate?" He said you have 2 weeks and so we have to be out by Oct 1st. Is this right? What can I do? I need more time to come up with the money for a new place. Can he just tell us we have till Oct 1st to vacate?
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 04:53 AM

Since your neighbor bought the house, is he intending to rent the house. You should ask him.. if he is perhaps he can become your landlord. This would be a first step.
    As to whether the owner of a foreclosure can "just tell you to leave" different states have processes and in aid of the answer we would have to know your state location good luck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 05:40 AM

Without knowing the State/Country it is impossible to know. However, if you have not been paying rent, yes, you can be evicted BUT you should be served with actual, legal eviction papers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Actually, there was federal legislation signed in May (and detailed in a Sticky note at the top of this forum), that requires the new owner in a foreclosure give a renter until the end of the lease or at 90 days to vacate, whichever comes later. Find the sticky note and you will find a reference to that law to show the new owner.

There is an exception if the new owner plans to occupy the house. If so, you still get 90 days.

A side issue here is I hope you got the previous owner's advice to stop paying in writing. Otherwise you have no right to stop paying and could be sued for back rent. The property was not foreclosed in May. A foreclosure is finalized only when the property title is changed. Which was apparently at the auction. Up until that time, the previous owner still owned the property and was entitled to receive the rent specified by the lease.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 07:25 AM

Scott, maybe you can clarify this for me. I thought that the new law only applied to tenants who were up to date on the rent (and that includes holding the rent in a special escrow or similar account). It is/was my understanding that if the rent is overdue the standard eviction procedure applies.

I can see both sides of this - the "new" landlord is not owed rent. It's owed to the "old" landlord so maybe the "new" doesn't have standing.

Thoughts? Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Scott, maybe you can clarify this for me. I thought that the new law only applied to tenants who were up to date on the rent (and that includes holding the rent in a special escrow or similar account). It is/was my understanding that if the rent is overdue the standard eviction procedure applies.

I can see both sides of this - the "new" landlord is not owed rent. It's owed to the "old" landlord so maybe the "new" doesn't have standing.

Thoughts? Thanks.
    Yes, that is correct. If the tenant is not keeping the rent up to date, then standard eviction laws supercede here. That's why I mentioned the side issue. If the OP can't prove that they were given permission to stop paying rent, they could be evicted for non payment of rent unless they can pay the arrears in full.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights to go on property once forclosed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to know if I had a 2nd mortgage on my home and the home was forclosed but I was still paying the second on time, it is a pool. Can I go to the property and take my pool? The bank told the real estate company to throw it away. The house did not sell at the court house it is being...

Forclosed home [ 20 Answers ]

In the state of Michigan, my house sold at the sheriff sale on Oct 1 2008 back to the bank, what kind of notice am I going to get and how soon do I have to get out ,

Rental rights for forclosed property [ 2 Answers ]

I rent a house and my landlord has not told me but I found out the house is in foreclosure and set for auction soon. All he says is that a friend is buying the house and to keep paying the rent. I am worried that they will lock up the house and I will loose all my business and personal...

Renter Rights on Foreclosed home [ 5 Answers ]

I signed a 2 yr lease with option to buy. I was only here 6 months before I received the notice taped to my house. The landlord obviously wasn't paying the mortgage with my rent nor did he contact me about this. He threatens me that he'll evict me, however the lease is now voided, so he can not do...

The home I'm renting has been forclosed on. [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a home through property management. I was notified by the bank today that it has been forclosed on. I was never notified by property management or the landlord. What are my rights?

View more questions Search