Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JLawson93722 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Father seeking Primary Custody after 10 years
    I have had primary custody of my daughter for 10 years. At the time of my divorce, we did not establish a court order custody arrangement. Since inception, I have had my daughter 75% of the time. Everything has been fine with this arrangement as my ex-husband has a job which does not enable him to provide 24/7 care for our daughter.

I have recently moved with my new husband and daughter to Northern California. Since we have moved, we cannot maintain the same days which were established for who has our daughter. Previously, I had my daughter Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Thursday and every other weekend. This changed often however due to his work schedule. Now, because of the distance, we have been meeting her father half way so that he can spend weekends with her. He can see her every other weekend if he wants, as well as extended times during Holidays, summer and winter break due to school.

My ex-husband is now telling my daughter that he will be getting a home with his girlfriend next year, and will have my daughter come and live with them. He is telling her these things without discussing it with me.

Since the arrangement has always been 75%-25%, is it feasible that he can obtain primary custody if no other circumstances have changed? I feel he is doing this out of spite, however, that is no legal argument.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 04:52 AM

While its possible that he can get primary custody, its highly unlikely. Court decisions are based on the best interest of the child. Changing school districts, changing custody arrangements and uprooting lives is rarely in the best interest of the child.

My advice would be to get your current custody arrangement in writing and through a court before he gets established. This will make your case that much stronger down the road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father has temporary custody seeking child support [ 10 Answers ]

I have 2 children from my previous marriage. My son is 14, daughter 12. I have had temporary custody for almost 5 years. The cusotdy order states their mother has supervised visitaion. My attorney advised that when I received temporary custody, to leave it at that for the time being and see if...

Father seeking full custody [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so here is my situation. I currently have a two year old daughter with a woman whome I dated a few years back. When she was pregnant I took the responsibility of bringing her home with me and taking care of our child even though the two of us were not in love. Things did not work out the way...

Father seeking custody rights [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I are about to separate. She is pregnant, and the baby is due any day now. She says that after the baby is born, she is leaving the state. I do not want this separation, but I know that I cannot stop that. She knows that with me being in the military, that I will not have all of the...

Underage father seeking custody of his daughter. [ 3 Answers ]

My son will be 17 next month. His daughter is 7 months old. Him and his girlfriend broke up and he is wanting to pursue custody and in the meantime, at least get visitation rights, as she is refusing to allow him to see his daughter. I have gone to the court house in the county we live in as well...

Father Seeking Custody of Infant [ 12 Answers ]

Introduction to situation... Mother had baby, left marriage the day the baby was brought home from the hospital and moved in with parents. Mother has now asked for a divorce, and tells father he'll only be able to see his newborn every other weekend, and never for an overnight time until she's at...

View more questions Search