Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caustin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Can step mother get child support issued from biological mother of step children?
    My husband doesn't want to go after his ex for child support. Can I go after her as the step parent who has been caring for the children for almost five years? The biological mother hasn't seen or talked to the children for about four years now.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 06:30 PM

In sme states you can seek damages against the NCP for contributions made on their behalf ( when they didn't pay ) but if there is no support order then your out of luck because there isn't an established order in place.

Is there a reason he doesn't want to go after her for child support ?

Sep 27, 2009, 06:40 PM
    He doesn't want the hassle of it but in the meantime, we are struggling! Yeah, they never went to court to get the custody of the kids dealt with, he took it upon himself and told her to get lost basically... she did just that. I married him without really knowing the situation but now I am not happy with the unresponsibility he is doing in not getting some support from her financially.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caustin View Post
    He doesnt want the hassle of it but in the meantime, we are struggling! Yeah, they never went to court to get the custody of the kids dealt with, he took it upon himself and told her to get lost basically...she did just that. I married him without really knowing the situation but now I am not happy with the unresponsibility he is doing in not getting some support from her financially.
    So long as the children are under 18 ( 21 in some states ) its not to late to apply for it and most courts will help you with it through state child support collection agencies. The problem he faces isif he has never modified custody that will work against him till he does. The law has to follow the last orders of the courts so if the NCP can still show papers from the court granting them full custody or some other arrangement then they could come knocking any time and take the kids with the law on their side.

He needs to protect both himself and the children's interest. HAving a support order in place doesn't mean he will receive support but its best to have one in place.

Sep 27, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Yeah, I agree. She could just come and take them and we couldn't do anything about it, right? Can we get custody of them without having to pay?
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caustin View Post
    Yeah, I agree. She could just come and take them and we couldnt do anything about it, right? Can we get custody of them without having to pay?
    Mostly it depends on your court system. Some have sliding scales for court fees but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Some courts allow for reduced or no fees depending on the situation. And also its something he may be able to do himself or with a little aid from a paralegal to file the right papers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are step children eligible for child support. [ 6 Answers ]

If a child has been supported by step parent and parent, are they eligible for child support if parents get divorced after 15 years.

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Having trouble with my step children and their mother [ 5 Answers ]

My step children came to live with me from another state six months ago. Their mother has no where to live, is not stable, does not want them back, but is guilting them, bribing them, and really confusing them with every phone call she makes. The nine year old is so confused and is acting out,...

Step parent adopt child when he is married to mother with full custody [ 1 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter. Her father barely calls her when he does it's about once a month and he tells her jokes. She is 6 will be 7 in April. He does pay child support. He is active duty in the Army stationed in Germany I don't know where he is exactly because he remarried and moved...

View more questions Search