Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Are we breaking copyright laws ?
    My son has a school project to build a small website using tools available on the internet. He searched Google Images and picked the photo of a man working on a car (mechanic) and added it to his web site, which is now available on the internet. What if in the very unlikely event this person sees himself published on a kid's web site ? Is this considered breaking copyright laws? We were told that all images on Google are not copyright protected so he should be OK. We just want to be sure. Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 12:10 PM

Your son is using the photo only for his own project, and is not selling copies to friends and relatives. Any photos on Internet that are copyright protected are so marked.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Hi, moonlite!

There are millions of images available on the Internet where it's not indicated that they have been formally copyrighted or not. If in doubt, I would suggest asking people on the website from which any information is obtained to make sure it's okay to use an image of something from their site on another website. Also, I would do that for any written content from another website. Please read up some on the Fair Use Act. It's on many websites that can be found via clicking on the following link.

Copyright Fair Use Act - Google Search

If someone where to especially, find an image of a person, by the way that the image is labeled and use it on a website without permission, then there could be issues. The label of the image can be in the image itself and also the way that it might actually be labeled on another site where it's used. You right click on Properties, on the image of a website to see how it's labeled within the image. If the label within the image is still in the image on another website, it most likely can be found when people do searches for things in Google or on another search engine. What if the interior label of the image is the name of the person and what they're doing? I hope that you see my point here.

Here's an example of just a simple problem that can happen when someone thinks another person has used what they have without their permission.

One of several things that I do for a living, are musical in nature. I like to beat all of the music stores in my area so that others will find me first when they look on the Internet for the musical services that I provide. The names of one of the music stores has the name of the family that owns the store. It's the type of name that can also be used in a sentence as a verb.

A customer of the music store owner brought a copy into the owner of what I'd posted on the Internet. The music store owner called me up and was very irate with me, and was close to threatening me with some sort of infringement on him. I know that I wasn't in the wrong, but removed the use of the word in my ads for around where I work. Really, it wasn't my fault that his last name worked perfectly with my ads as a verb.

No infringement there! Just an obvious way to advertise to beat the competition!

The owner didn't "like" the fact that I used even words from his website. They weren't even phrases that I was using! If someone were to find an image of me on the web and use it on their site, I wouldn't "like" it either! Not even "liking" something could lead to other things...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Google Image Copyright laws [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im new to the graphic design business and I would like to know if using parts of images from Google is copyright or trademark infringment. Like lets say there is a hammock from a photo that I want to use or a teddy bear from looking up teddybears on Google images or a picture of a...

Copyright laws. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I am a programmer. I always wanted to make games and make many other things. The problem I have is that I can't play music so I would need to find music to play in the games and may even sound effects. I never really started projects due to not fully understanding copyright laws. I...

Copyright Laws [ 5 Answers ]

Would it be an infringement upon Copyright Laws to produce a ceramic casting mold of a ceramic piece that is no longer in production by a company? All masters of this mold have been destroyed as well. Thank You

Laws for breaking alease [ 1 Answers ]

I have a landlord who is harassing me and rides by the house I rent 5 plus times a day.. everytime someone is here or whatever happens here he calls me and questions me... is this harassment? The landlord fails to come in and fix things like the diswasher,washer, and the wall is cracking,and the...

Copyright Laws [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in starting a new business copying VHS and 8mm videos to DVD format. My big question, "Is this Legal" or "Is it a copyright violation"? I plan on destroying the original VHS tape once the format change is complete. I would keep written documentation of all destroyed original...

View more questions Search