Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bearandcrissys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 09:10 AM
    biological children's rights to deceased Dad's share of property
    Hi; My children are both adults whose father is recently deceased. He remarried several years ago. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor (which he had removed via surgery). The stepmother advised that he had a will which left everything to her. She received a sizeable amount upon his death from a life insurance policy. She is now asking my children to sign a paper on two vehicles which were in the decedent's name only. Since my daughter was not informed as to the exact nature of this paper work she didn't sign them. Now the step mom is threatening to take my daughter to court and sue her for the cost of the succession as well as a portion of the funeral expenses. My questions are 1. Is there any ramifications to my daughter if she does sign these papers. 2. Does this will really have any validation to cause my children to lose any portion that should be theirs.. such as a portion of the value of the home? There is not really anything else of value. Also would this will be considered invalid since it was implemented after their Dad's diagnosis -(he lost all of his short term memory and might be considered to have diminished mental capacity.
    Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 09:17 AM

Hello b:

It sounds like this document she wants your daughter to sign is a "waiver" of some sort. Your daughter should NOT sign it without legal representation. Her lawyer, not only can tell her what her rights are, he can actually DO something about them.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello b:

It sounds like this document she wants your daughter to sign is a "waiver" of some sort. Your daughter should NOT sign it without legal representation. Her lawyer, not only can tell her what her rights are, he can actually DO something about them.

excon
    I agree. It also makes me wonder that if she already has the legal right to something why there would have to be a signature from a possible heir??

Something doesn't add up at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2009, 09:33 AM

First, the benefits of an insurance policy go to the beneficiary of the policy outside the estate. So that's not an issue.

Has your daughter seen the will? If not, then her best bet is to consult an attorney to protect her rights.
    bearandcrissys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 09:40 AM

The paper she wants her to sign is two "Affidavit of Heirship Forms" for the two vehiciles. (which were apparently in his name only) I don't believe the will was ever filed anywhere. It has been my understanding in LA that the biological children have hereditary rights to 1/2 of the home at least.
    Thanks for the responses so far; I appreciate it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 09:46 AM

The issue is if the children were never adopted by anyone, and they were not named at all in the will, they may have grounds to contest the will and get a share of everything in the estate.
    *** the life insurance would normally not be in the estate.

They need an attorney to review the probate of the estate and get a copy of the will
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bearandcrissys View Post
    I apologize as I accidently posted my reply three times.
    Hello again, b:

It's OK. Even after three times, I STILL don't know what an "Affidavit of Heirship" form is and what it does. Have your daughter read MORE than the title of the document, then you can tell us what is SAYS.

But, if it uses the term "heirship", that's a clue that your daughter is an heir. Certainly the WIFE thinks so... So, before the assets are disposed of, and never to be seen again, your daughter needs to get going if she has ANY hope of getting anything.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights of deceased sibling of property in GA [ 3 Answers ]

My mother is living in the home which she & my uncle shared for 15 years in Georgia. House and property both in Uncle's name. He passed away November 2008. Mother is approximately one month behind in payments, Mortgage company continues to harass my mom by calling approx 6-8 times a day. Do they...

Deceased dad's bank account [ 1 Answers ]

My dad recently passed away and we think that he had a bank account at an unknown bank. How do we go about finding out where his account may be?

Dad's rights [ 3 Answers ]

What should I do if my 6 month old daughters mum only lets me see my baby for a couple of hours on a Saturday and won't let me look after her over night? :confused:

Who pays deceased dad's bills [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking care of someone for sometime now because of health reasons. I have a written and notarized agreement between myself and this party. If he should pass on, would his heirs be liable to pay me or would I have to go to court. If so, please advise how to proceed. IL resident

Stepmother and Biological Dad's Will [ 3 Answers ]

My dad died recently and I know he had a will. I have heard that my step mother is not going to probate his will. And if she doesn't, I have no way of knowing what was in the will and if my name along with my two brother's names are mentioned and if dad left anything to us at all. My question...

View more questions Search