Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiwiincanada Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Ceramin Cooktop Cleaning
    I recently used an aluminum pressure canner on my ceramic cooktop. I now have silvery white looking marks dotted over the burner area of the cooktop:mad: Do you have any suggestions for removing these? I have tried the usual ceramic cooktop cleaner with a paper towel and scrubbing hard. This method has always remvoed marks in the past but this is just not cleaning off. Is it okay to use the pressure canner on my ceramic cooktop in the future? Could these marks be cause due to the high temperatures that the canner reaches to process the food?

Thanks so much for your help and advise! :)
    Kiwi
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 05:42 AM

You could be correct about the high temps for that pressure canner, can't recommend anything other then the ceramic cleaner. I seem to recall some using the 'hot plates' for these canner protected from the counter tops. You may just have to forget canning the products that need these high temps and go to blanching and freezing them instead. I have done both and prefer the blanching and freezing method and am stylle alive and kicking. I never did attempt making sauce with meat with pressure canner.

You would almost think we should have the old fashioned summer kitchens with appropriate stoves to do our once a year canning and leave our expensive appliances for regular cooking !

Tick
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 05:52 AM
    Get some of the hand cleaner with "grit" in it. Like the "Orange Goop". It has worked for us for years. I promise it won't scratch your stove. That's basically what the stove-top cleaner is anyway.

We love our flat top stove. It's easier to clean, and there's more room on it.

Well, happy cooking!

Sep 27, 2009, 05:54 AM

Hi Tick
    Thanks for answering my question. I have a very small kitchen in our basement with a regular cooktop so I think I might just have to take the pressure canner down there to use it. This is the first year I have ever tried to make these things and only did it so that my daughter could take her favourite things back to school with her after her visits home :-) It might be back to regular canning from here on in. That's so much easier :-)
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Get some of the hand cleaner with "grit" in it. Like the "Orange Goop". It has worked for us for years. I promise it won't scratch your stove. That's basically what the stove-top cleaner is anyway.

We love our flat top stove. It's easier to clean, and there's more room on it.

Well, happy cooking!
    Hi jm, good idea but the residue from the pressure canner would take a lot of scrubbing to remove and may dull the area that has to be scrubbed.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi jm, good idea but the residue from the pressure canner would take a lot of scrubbing to remove and may dull the area that has to be scrubbed.

tick
    Tick, Hi! Yes it's going to take some elbow grease to get out the marks, but that stuff has yet to fail me.

Sep 27, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    tick, Hi! Yes it's going to take some elbow grease to get out the marks, but that stuff has yet to fail me.
    Thanks for the suggestions. :) I've used elbow grease, dish soap that has soaked on it over night and cooktop cleaner and so far nothing has worked. Even if the area dulls it will not look as bad as it does right now. Someone suggested a glass scraper but I am not sure I want that near my cook top. I am not sure if it would make it worse or better. :confused:
    I've pickled the beets so now I'm off to get some hand cleaner to try that. I'm also going to ask about a cooktop cover or protection thing for using the pressure caner on the ceramic top. I really would hate to have to use the downstairs kitchen. It is very very small:eek:
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiincanada View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. :) I've used elbow grease, dish soap that has soaked on it over night and cooktop cleaner and so far nothing has worked. Even if the area dulls it will not look as bad as it does right now. Someone suggested a glass scraper but I am not sure I want that near my cook top. I am not sure if it would make it worse or better. :confused:
    I've pickled the beets so now I'm off to get some hand cleaner to try that. I'm also going to ask about a cooktop cover or protection thing for using the pressure caner on the ceramic top. I really would hate to have to use the downstairs kitchen. It is very very small:eek:
    Did you say pickled beets? I want some!
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 07:48 AM

Hi kiwi again. I have never used a pressure cooker for pickled beets, just the usual hot water bath. In fact never ever used a pressure cooker for any of my canning. Do admit though some foods need the higher temp that only a pressure canner can provide.

Good luck with finding protection for your cook top !

Glass scraper - absolutely no way on your ceramic cook top !

Tick

Sep 27, 2009, 01:39 PM

Well I'm home from the store where we purchased the ceramic cooktop. They sold me a glass scraper... what you are meant to use for very burned on spills, a cleaner and an after cleaner or protection cleaner. My guess is it is all just the same as the orange goop JMJ mentioned but I will give it a try. As far as the temperature... I will phone the manufacturer tomorrow and get a direct answer. One person says you are meant to use the pressure canner only on ceramic tops cause they are flat and the other said no way.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tic... I used the pressure canner for the meat based soups that I made and for canning the garlic cloves. I never use a pressure canner for anything else. I just use the fill the jars while it is hot and screw the lids on method :-)
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiincanada View Post
    Well I'm home from the store where we purchased the ceramic cooktop. They sold me a glass scraper... what you are meant to use for very burned on spills, a cleaner and an after cleaner or protection cleaner. My guess is it is all just the same as the orange goop JMJ mentioned but I will give it a try. As far as the temperature... I will phone the manufacturer tomorrow and get a direct answer. One person says you are meant to use the pressure canner only on ceramic tops cause they are flat and the other said no way.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tic.... I used the pressure canner for the meat based soups that I made and for canning the garlic cloves. I never use a pressure canner for anything else. I just use the fill the jars while it is hot and screw the lids on method :-)
    Hey, glad you got that settled, but you say you just fill the jars while hot and screw the lids on. Don't you use the boiling water bath after you get that all done :eek: The hot water bath kills the bacteria along with the salt you add.

Just thought I would mention that, sorry if you already know that !

Tick

Sep 27, 2009, 03:27 PM

I have only used the water bath method for a couple of things. I just did what my Grandma and my mother used to do. I know you are meant to do the water bath thing but we're still alive :-) I usually only can things that have vinegar in them but have started to branch out so that's why I got the pressure canner.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 03:49 PM

I am glad you are still alive to come on here and get us thinking again, kiwi. Have a great canning season and stick around with your canning advice. We love to have you.

Kindest regards

Ms tickle

Sep 28, 2009, 02:48 AM

Thanks Ms Tickle.

See you again soon :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing my new cooktop [ 9 Answers ]

Hi folks I am remodeling my home and I just baught a new cooktop that I need to install, I am installing it where my old stove was plug in, a 4 prong plug is already there but I have one problem my new cooktop only have 3 prong and its hard wired ,How do I know if my old stove and my new one...

Electric cooktop [ 9 Answers ]

This seems a bit strange to me, but I bought a brand new electric cooktop with three wires coming off it. The ground and two hots. So there's a black, red and green wire. So what do I do with the neutral coming out of the wall? I don't have a wire to connect it to.

I need to run a gas line to a new cooktop. [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen and I used to have an electric range and now I have a gas cooktop and a double oven (the oven is electric). I have gas to the water heater, but nowhere else in the house. Just need to know if there is specific type if line to use and if there are codes as to where it has...

Gas cooktop [ 1 Answers ]

Who invented the gas cooktop and in what year?

Propane cooktop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE gas cooktop that runs on propane. It doesn't seem very powerful, I have used much cheaper stoves that run on propane that boil water much faster. Is there any way I can increase its output ?

View more questions Search