Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rott25 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Patching-up wall
    I've installed new bathroom light, since closest power source was across th bathroom (no access above/bellow) I had to "dig-in" the cable into the wall.

House is about 40 years old so wall isn't drywall but.. I can't remember the word for it, it's like cement.

Anyway, I plan to put the cable in, plaster it using drywall compound, sand, repeat etc. and then use primer before painting everything.

Any tips on how to avoid this patch being visible later?

Cable runs up one wall, over ceiling, and then down another wall, I dag a small area, maybe 3-4mm wide and 5mm deep.

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 08:36 AM

I just recently re decorated my living room, our house was built in the 40s so all walls are plaster. If you sand well, primer paint, you won't have any problem. If you are unsure, have a professional do it for you.

Tick
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 11:51 AM

Sounds like you have plaster walls and ceiling. You really shouldn't bury electrical cable in the plaster. Even though you have plaster there should be a cavity in the walls and certainly will be one above the ceiling. You should go through the plaster to the cavity an pull you cable there. Whether in the cavity or buried in the plaster you cable should be armored cable (AC), commonly referred to BX or metal clad (MC) cable. You don't want to be nailing or screwing into your cable later on.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2009, 10:49 AM

Look for a product called "ShurPatch"... pack it into the crack or hole and wipe it off smooth( cause it doesn't sand easy) Once that dries , top coat with normal drywall compound and sand flush, prime then paint!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patching deteriorating brick [ 4 Answers ]

The brick in the foundation of my house has several spots where it is falling apart and leaking. I'm looking to patch the holes - the visual aesthetics are less important than building health. The yard slopes towards the house and I believe the continual presence of water is what caused the...

When to mow after patching/overseeding? [ 4 Answers ]

Im in the northeast: over seeded ( Iknow I should have done that in fall but I just moved in december) and used scott patchmaster and spot seeded some bare areas about 11-14 days ago... some new grass "shoots" have germinated, but I see many areas that just have seed just lying there... my grass is...

Oblivion Patching [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason, I cannot install any of the Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion Patches. It keeps coming up with "Patch Error - Old file not found, However a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match". I've tried reinstalling the game over and over but still doesn't...

View more questions Search