Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Service Pak's
    Hello:

Couple questions.

Does my computer automatically go online to look for updates, or does Microsoft find my computer online?

In terms of the updates, from a purely technical standpoint, as opposed to the conspiratorial/ paranoid standpoint, is it possible for these service paks, or ANY download for that matter, to include a secret government mandated program, that COULD turn on the camera and the microphone remotely, without, of course, alerting the user?

Could your cell phone be programmed to do the same thing?

There are sites that allow you to let your friends track you via the GPS device in your phone. Can the government turn on that option remotely to find whomever it might be looking for?

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 08:34 AM

Your comments sound like the fairly recent movie 'Eagle Eye' with Shia Lebeouf or whever his name was. I think you stole the plot !

Just for the record I don't think Big Brother will ever be able to watch us like that.

Tick
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 26, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Firstly it the automatic application of patches and service packs depends on your own setting on the machine.
    You CAN set it to auto download and install, same goes for any installed software.

In theory ANY connected piece of technology can be used to mine data about you.
    In practice this doesn't happen, certainly not by a company the size of micro$oft.

In UAE there was recently a government forced update to all Blackberries that basically logged all activity and sent this data to a centralised server farm.
    This was soon discovered by a number of users and a MASSIVE row ensued.
    Surprisingly enough it was removed a few days later.

There are a number of "hacker" application that can allow the remote control of attached cams and mics, but they are mostly detected by the various anti-Virus and Malware applications.

There's the rub, there's so many different groups using computers that even a government mandated update of this type would soon be discovered and disabled. Remember Sony tried to do something to copy protect their CD's and the back lash to that was pretty large as well.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    even a government mandated update of this type would soon be discovered and disabled. Remember Sony tried to do something to copy protect their CD's and the back lash to that was pretty large as well.
    Hello ben:

Thanks. I feel better. So, I can stop giving the finger to my camera?

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 26, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Wish you would ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable size for 100 amp and 200 amp service. [ 16 Answers ]

I would like to know what size aluminum sec I would need for 100 or 200 amp service

I want to start a tiffin service or packaged food service in punjab mkt [ 2 Answers ]

For tiffin or packaged food service What should be My target population is 350 tiffins 1) capital investment 2) manpower requirement 3) location and space availbility 4) marketing statergy 5) implementation process

Change 100AMP service to 200AMP service? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the steps need to change from 100 AMP service to 200AMP service?

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

View more questions Search