Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Corianglue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Gluing Corian sink overflow drain
    What's the best kind of glue to use to reattach the overflow drain to the underside of a Corian bathroom sink? Gorilla glue didn't work.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 01:12 PM

I would think silicone, but don't know. Can you post picture?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 01:34 PM

Isn't your overflow part of the actual sink, they are sparate things normally.
    Corianglue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 07:49 PM
    The overflow is separate from the sink and is a hard plastic (not Corian as the sink) and attaches to the drain hose. (The sink and drain hose are shown in the middle photo.) The part to be attached is shown in the 1st & 3rd photos and you can see the failed Gorilla glue still on the edge of it. We're hoping to be able to remove the glue.
    Attached Images

Sep 8, 2009, 09:36 PM

Cut away all of the Gorilla glue and reattach to sink and tubing with clear silicone.
    You will need to get a clean surface or edge where plastic fitting meets sink. After you have reattached and the silicone had dried, go back and put another bead around the edge to insure that it is water tight.
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

Sep 25, 2009, 02:26 PM
    I agree with hkstroud, about the silicone.

The sink however is not Corian. It may be Solid surface. And the top is Corian but duPont never made sinks this way.

Ken

Sep 25, 2009, 04:37 PM

Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 07:19 PM

Do you know what kind of plastic? Is it PVC?

Does the attach have voids?

Gorilla glue isn't the right stuff.

I found this out: http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Comm...es_revised.pdf

And that the adhesives are propreitary and not generally available, but may be silicone based.

I might consider something like: 3M Marine Silicone Rubber Sealant

Sep 26, 2009, 06:54 AM

Presumably the "bulgy" is the over flow "piping" and presumably its PVC or some kind of plastic.

Hopefully Corianglue long ago sealed this up with silicone of some type. The only reason it comes up now is that kidoph said that the sink was not Corian. Something I don't understand given the printed stamp and the manufactures molded trade mark.
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Sep 26, 2009, 07:46 AM

I would use an 'Aquarium' grade silicone or a fast setting two part epoxy that is rated for porcelain.

Sep 26, 2009, 07:47 AM
    hkstroud

Thanks for pointing out what a dumbass thai I must be. I had thought that I had seen tham all. The overflows that I have seen have all been made of Corian. This looks that some engineer over there designed some kind of couge system. DuPont seam adhesive is not good for PVC and PVC adhesive isnot good for Corian. I will have to ask some of my buddies at the plant what this was.

Thanks again. And silicone should work fine. Just allow it to set for 48 hours.

Ken

Sep 26, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kidolph View Post
    Thanks for pointing out what a dumbass thai I must be.
    Hi Ken,

Didn't mean it that way. Just trying to resolve questions in my own mine.

Sep 26, 2009, 09:06 AM

Hk

I did not taki it badly. I just feel stupid for my arrogance.

Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Guys,
    I'm not familiar with this set up. What's that bulgy raised area that runs from the rim down below the stopper if it isn't a overflow? please excuse my "dumbness" but remember I've been retired for over 20 years and I learn from you guys that are still out in the field. Regards, Tom

Tom, yes what you are seeing is the overflow, but its not built into the sink. Its actually just a rubber hose that goes from the p.o. assembly up to the piece that is glued on at the outside of the actuall overflow hole in sink. The sinks that I've installed with this overflow setup actuall come with the hose not connected. You have to push the hose on the barbed fitting at p.o and on the barbed fitting at the plastic overflow piece. Sometimes you even have to cut the rubber hose to correct length for correct fitting. I personally don't like the setup, for this reason. The plastic piece at overflow that hose hooks to tends to come disconnected from sink while trying to push the hose on, which is the problem seen here. Clear silicone is a great fix, as long as you clean the area well and let the silicone set up for 24 hours or longer, than take care to not put too much pressure on the upper fitting when installing the hose. Lee.
    ee101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2011, 11:47 PM
    I have two corian sinks in a bath that is about 11 years old. Both overflows came unglued at their attachment to the sink (at about the same time). Really cheezy design! I experimented with several types of glue. Epoxy will stick to the corian but not to the plastic piece. Silicone will stick to both but stays soft and will eventually pull apart if there is any tension from the overflow tube. I ended up using a Dap Kwik Seal Plus clear silicone to attach the plastic part back onto the corian sink and then used a piece of wood and wedges between the plastic part and the cabinet face to press the plastic part against the sink. I will leave the wood permanently. Think it will stay. I considered using a two part epoxy to attach a bolt to the sink on each side of the plastic part and make a metal bracket to hold the plastic part against the sink to take stress off the glue. It is hard for me to believe that Dupont would market a product so poorly engineered. I think they are still making the sinks in this same way.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2011, 11:50 PM

I did find a product that looks like it would do the job: http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/7050.pdf

Another possibility is Gorilla Glue or Gorilla Epoxy: Gorilla Glue Guide But note the incompatibilities with some plastics. Gorilla glue requires a MAJOR clamping system to be in place because of the expansion of the glue.

I'd probably seal the edges with a clear bathroom caulk such as those mad by DAP.

Remember that the surfaces need to be clean and dry. The plastic need to be roughed up with say 220 grit sandpaper. Wipe surfaces with alcohol prior to gluing.

Note that the Gorilla Epoxy is "water resistant" and not waterproof.

I've used Seal-all occasionally. http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_tds/sealall_tds.pdf This is available in some hardware stores.

You right. Those material will be hard to glue.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2011, 10:26 AM

ee101 andKISS,
    Ya-all are responding to a 2 year old dead thread!
    solstyce9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Ugh! I just ran into this problem today - ran some water through my bathroom overflow drain and heard water dripping in the cabinet underneath. Found the same problem - plastic piece detached from the sink. Checked my other bathroom sink, and it's the same setup, just hasn't come detached yet.

I don't know who I'm more upset with - the manufacturer for building this piece of junk, or the previous owner who bought and installed it.

Glad I found this thread, since I was just about to try Gorilla Glue as well. Off to find some DAP Kwik Seal Plus. Wish me luck.
    blakeusa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 05:57 PM
    It is now 2012 and I just found the same problem on two Corian bathroom sinks.

Very bad design...

What was the best solution discovered. I would expect silicone to come loose after a couple of years. What was there was flexible but very strongly adhered to the PVC
    solstyce9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
    I forget which adhesive I ended up using, some sort of silicone adhesive from Home Depot. The problem I ran into was that the force of the tube was pulling the plug away from the drain hole. I tried jamming various things behind it to hold it in place while the sealant set without luck. Luckily, my sink has two thin flanges which run up the front of the bottom on either side of the drain tube. So I took a drill and made one small hole in each flange up near the drain hole, put the sealant on the plastic piece that goes around the drain hole, then wired it tightly in place by running the wire between the two holes behind the plastic bit. So effectively I'm using the wire to hold it in place, and the sealant just to keep it from leaking. Seems to be working so far.

Fingers crossed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Overflow drain for Kitchen Sink [ 3 Answers ]

I went down in my crawl space and found it filled with sewage. I noticed that my Kitchen Sink has an overflow pipe that drains into the crawl space. My main pipe was clogged so all the water went into the crawl space. Is this normal? I was wondering maybe the kitchen sink has one of those gas...

Overflow drain requirement in bath sink [ 1 Answers ]

Is it required by code or law to have an overflow drain in bathroom sink? Im in Massachusetts. Thanks

Sink drain overflow into dishwasher drain hose. [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced my GE Triton Profile Performance dishwasher and installed a new Bosch SHE55M0 today. After completing the installation, I ran my sink faucet, and noticed that some water was passing back through the dishwasher drain hose back toward the direction of the dishwasher. The only reason that...

No sink overflow drain? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a new build and just realized that the sinks do not have the usual holes in the front for overflow draining. These are cultured marble one piece tops in bathrooms. It's the same way in my master double sinks, the single and in the kitchen stainless double. When did manufactures...

Vanity Staron (like Corian) Overflow drain lines [ 5 Answers ]

We are trying to install a new Staron double bowl lavatory vanity top. We have put in a Moen Asceri faucet with pop up drain. They have included a plastic adaptor for the drain to hook the overflow tube from the sink, and you put it between the sink underside and the tailpiece. It is white plastic...

View more questions Search