Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lashonne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Financial adjustments and Adjusted trial balance
    Once all the enties are in the spreadsheet and adjustments balance, but the adjusted trial balance is not balance

a. wage accured but not paid at October 31 are 1,250
    b. depreciation of equipment during the year is 9,500
    c. laundry supplies on hand at October 31 are 2,900
    d. insurance permiums expired during the year are 6,000

Debit credit
    Cash 4350
    Laundry supplies 11,250
    Prepaid insur 7,200
    Laundey equi 163,500
    Accum deperc 61,500
    Account payb 9,300
    Capital stock 8,000
    Retained earning 48,700
    Dividends 3,000
    Laundry revenue 247,500
    Wages expense 107,250
    Rent expense 54,000
    Utilities expense 20,400
    Misc expense 4,050
    ----------- ----------
    375,000 375,000
    Now how do enter a,b,c,d to balance on one side and balance from the adjustment are in where the decrease , increase are done to make the trial balance with dr. and cr.

P.S.
    I am lost after the unadjustment entries and they balance and when I have to do the trial balance with adding and subtracting each one on the spreadsheet will not balance
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2009, 04:49 AM

Create 4 Journal Entries a,b,c, and d.
    Post them to the old balances.
    Take a new Trial Balance.
    Logically it must balance.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 02:37 PM

If your unadjusted trial balance and your adjustments are balanced, but your adjusted trial balance is not balanced, then it's in the math somewhere. Although I am a bit confused over what you're saying. But I'm going to go with this... if this isn't right, post back and see if you can clear up where the difficulty is.

(Also note that being out of balance is because something is mathematically screwed up - a missing side of an entry, wrote down wrong number, added wrong, etc. But if it does balance, that does not mean everything is correct, only that it mathematically balances.)

Since adjustments have been done, that affects the unadjusted balances on your trial balance. So you have to get those adjustments reflected in those accounts. Remember that for a debit account, a debit is going to add to it and a credit is going to subtract from it. For a credit account, a credit is going to add to it and a debit is going to subtract from it. (That is just following the debit & credit rules, which you need to know in order to do entries anyway.) The short version is: if they're on the same side they add and if they're on opposite sides they subtract.

If you didn't adjust an account, don't forget to carry that balance over to the adjusted trial balance. And make sure all the balances in the adjusted trial balance are on the normal side -- they should not have moved from where they original were.

Again, if I'm misinterpreting, please clear up where the problem is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting need assistance with adjusted trial balance, doesn't balance [ 3 Answers ]

1. Office supplies on hand at year end amounted to $ 420 2. The equipment costing $30,000 has an expected life of six years and no salvage value. Mike uses straight-line depreciation. 3. A premium of $ 1500 for a one year insurance policy was paid on November 1. 4. Wages earned by employees but...

Adjustments/Adjusted Trial Balance [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:I am stuck I have worked out the unadjusted trial balance and I think I have gotten thrown off by the adjustments because the adjusted trial balance is not coming out with the same total for debits and credits. I have tried to rework for a couple of hours. Here is the question, you have...

Adjusted Trial Balance [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! I am having trouble with this adjusted Trial Balance. I have attached What I have done and what is required... Help Adjusted Trial Balance Debit Credit

View more questions Search