Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Will you get your shot?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flu shot?

2 9.09%
  • H1N1 (swine flu) shot?

0 0%
  • Both?

8 36.36%
  • Neither

12 54.55%
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 07:07 AM

The inhaled version is a live/atinuated (attenuated vaccine a vaccine prepared from live microorganisms or viruses cultured under adverse conditions leading to loss of their virulence but retention of their ability to induce protective immunity) virus while the shot is an inactivated vaccine.
    Is there an advantage to taking one or the other ? Or is it a matter of availability ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    The inhaled version is a live/atinuated (attenuated vaccine a vaccine prepared from live microorganisms or viruses cultured under adverse conditions leading to loss of their virulence but retention of their ability to induce protective immunity) virus while the shot is an inactivated vaccine.
    Hello again, J:

In other words, you catch a mild version of the flu - hopefully.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 07:12 AM
    In talking to our infectious disease nurse this morning, she prefers the shot versus the inhaled version. The reason is actually simple. With the shot you are given a DEAD version of the virus, but your body is still able to build immunities without getting symptoms of the flu. While the inhaled version is still considered to be a live virus and the risks of getting symptoms is just a little higher. Treatment for both is the same... Tylenol every 4 hours is preferred with or without symptoms for the first 24 hours.

With a dead virus (the shot) your body does not react in the same defensive way that the inhaled (attenuated) vaccine does. With the shot your body's defenses don't come out and fight the virus whereas the inhaled version it does.

Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, J:

In other words, you catch a mild version of the flu - hopefully.

excon
    Nope, not with the shot version. If you end up catching the flu, that means you have already been exposed... but with the inhaled version the risk of a mild version is slightly higher.
    pickandgrin Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Oct 23, 2009, 07:47 AM

My experience:

In 1976, there was a big government campaign to get everyone vaccinated with the swine flu shot. I took it as did several members of my family. It contained live virus and it made me sicker for longer than I've ever been before or since. No one else in my family got sick. Nor did anyone else I knew. Even the ones who didn't get the shot.

Since then, I worked in a health care facility for 9 years. I was pressured by management to take the seasonal flu shot every year so I did. I got the flu every flu season that I worked there. I have since left the health care environment and have not gotten any flu shot. It's been 5 years and I haven't gotten the flu until now.

I am currently recovering from what I'm pretty sure is H1N1. I've commiserated with friends who have had the test and been positively diagnosed with H1N1. And I received a letter in the mail this week from the local County Health Department declaring that their studies indicate that 98% of the flu in this county is H1N1.

It wasn't the worst flu I've ever had. My fever was low grade and my discomfort was moderate. It did put me down for longer than flu normally does. And it seems to be hanging on longer than I would otherwise expect. I do not fall into a group that has been categorized as “High Risk” so I anticipate full recovery in another week or so.

Since I've already had H1N1, I certainly won't be getting that one. I'm somewhat undecided about the seasonal flu shot. The shots usually give me a headache and I don't have any quantitative evidence that they actually work for me. Actually, my experience makes me view the expert advise as somewhat dubious.
    Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    My experience:

In 1976, there was a big government campaign to get everyone vaccinated with the swine flu shot. I took it as did several members of my family. It contained live virus and it made me sicker for longer than I’ve ever been before or since. No one else in my family got sick. Nor did anyone else I knew. Even the ones who didn’t get the shot.

Since then, I worked in a health care facility for 9 years. I was pressured by management to take the seasonal flu shot every year so I did. I got the flu every flu season that I worked there. I have since left the health care environment and have not gotten any flu shot. It’s been 5 years and I haven’t gotten the flu until now.

I am currently recovering from what I’m pretty sure is H1N1. I’ve commiserated with friends who have had the test and been positively diagnosed with H1N1. And I received a letter in the mail this week from the local County Health Department declaring that their studies indicate that 98% of the flu in this county is H1N1.

It wasn’t the worst flu I’ve ever had. My fever was low grade and my discomfort was moderate. It did put me down for longer than flu normally does. And it seems to be hanging on longer than I would otherwise expect. I do not fall into a group that has been categorized as “High Risk” so I anticipate full recovery in another week or so.

Since I’ve already had H1N1, I certainly won’t be getting that one. I’m somewhat undecided about the seasonal flu shot. The shots usually give me a headache and I don’t have any quantitative evidence that they actually work for me. Actually, my experience makes me view the expert advise as somewhat dubious.
    My advice may be dubious to you, but you are no longer in the high risk category. You are not:

* 6 months through 24 years of age
    * Pregnant?
    * Someone who lives with or cares for an infant younger than 6 months of age
    * Health care and/or emergency medical personnel
    * OR possibly, anyone 25 years through 64 years of age with certain chronic medical conditions or a weakened immune system.

The above are the CDC's guidelines as to who SHOULD get the vaccine.

1976 was 33 years ago... There have been tremendous advances made since then.
    pickandgrin Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Oct 23, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    My advice may be dubious to you, but you are no longer in the high risk category. You are not:

* 6 months through 24 years of age
    * Pregnant?
    * Someone who lives with or cares for an infant younger than 6 months of age
    * Health care and/or emergency medical personnel
    * OR possibly, anyone 25 years through 64 years of age with certain chronic medical conditions or a weakened immune system.

The above are the CDC's guidelines as to who SHOULD get the vaccine.

1976 was 33 years ago... There have been tremendous advances made since then.
    1. When I chose the words "expert advise" I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was talking about the community of advisers (outside of this forum)who have touted the benefits of these shots for years. My apologies to you or anyone else who interpreted it to mean I was specifically targeting you.

2. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I clearly indicated that I was not a member of the "High Risk" population.

3. I also clearly stated that the 1976 shot contained live virus. I know that things have changed. I take exception to your implication that I don't.

4. The post was a description of MY EXPERIENCE and I didn't advise anyone to take or not take any action.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 10:12 AM

Also, the H1N1 vaccine is only one of the many vaccines developed during the past 60 years. It is not a hastily-thrown-together vaccine.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 23, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Does anyone know if it is safe to get both flu shots? I have been getting the seasonal one for over 15 years without a problem and would like to get both this year.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is safe to get both flu shots? I have been getting the seasonal one for over 15 years without a problem and would like to get both this year.
    It's safe, but you probably don't need the H1N1 unless you qualify as J9 described..
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 12:03 PM

I've never had the flu shot. I live life by the seat of my pants.

The reputable Louis Farrakhan is suspicious of the H1N1 vaccine, thinks it might be engineered for genocide. That's why I'm not getting it.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 03:52 PM

Screwy Louis said that ? Now I'm convinced !
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    screwy Louis said that ? now I'm convinced !
    Hahaha

I just saw inside edition, I'm sure some of you heard about this woman, Desireie Jennings. This guy edited the video at 2:03.
    Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    It is safe to get both. One of the nurses got one shot in each arm this morning. Left arm seasonal flu shot... Right arm H1N1.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post

The reputable Louis Farrakhan is suspicious of the H1N1 vaccine, thinks it might be engineered for genocide. That's why I'm not getting it.
    Louis Farrakhan reputable :eek:? Did I just read this or is hallucinations a side effect of the vaccine I took this morning?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 10:59 PM
    For the benefit of the assembled company, I just had the H1N1 shot, No reaction, it didn't kill me and there are no black cars parked across the road monitoring my implant

Public health 1, paranoia nil.

You might wonder why, but I am, according to my doctor, in one of the high risk groups so it is advisable to take this medication as I might take any other medication.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    for the benefit of the assembled company, I just had the H1N1 shot, No reaction, it didn't kill me and there are no black cars parked across the road monitoring my implant
    Please check in with us each day. If you begin to itch from the metals coursing through your bloodstream or feel the urge to call an official in Washington, DC, please let us know.

And, oh, we'll be watching you via hidden web cams.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Please check in with us each day. If you begin to itch from the metals coursing through your bloodstream or feel the urge to call an official in Washington, DC, please let us know.

And, oh, we'll be watching you via hidden web cams.
    No worries I probably get more mercury from the fish I eat and if my arm glows in the dark I'll let you know:)
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 09:27 PM

I posted a question like this one
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medica...nt-513251.html

I posted it before I saw this thread. Responses? Either on here or mine, preferably mine so I can keep straight who's talking to who. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 12:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    I posted a question like this one
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medica...nt-513251.html

I posted it before i saw this thread. Responses? Either on here or mine, preferably mine so I can keep straight who's talking to who. :)
    Hi read your post and I will respond here. I have had both the H1N1 shot and the seasonal flu shot. My daughter and her family have been ill with the flu for weeks and she is just now beginning to recover, the symptoms are similar to H1N1 and Tamiflu was prescribed. I have been in and out of their home regularly during this time and no flu. I think the case is proven as far as I'm concerned.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 06:01 AM

Didn't get it last year and certainly will not get it this year. I take Vitamin D and other vitamins and did not get ill last year and certainly don't intend getting ill this year.

I don't think that the flu vaccines are safe period regardless of who is "feeding me the pap" about the supposedly "safe" flu vaccines. It's a great way to debilitate a person's system for years and possibly kill them (in my opinion that is). Why would good ole boy Bill Gates even mention the word "vaccines" when in the same sentence he mentions population elimination. Hmmmmmm.
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Didn't get it last year and certainly will not get it this year. I take Vitamin D and other vitamins and did not get ill last year and certainly don't intend getting ill this year.

I don't think that the flu vaccines are safe period regardless of who is "feeding me the pap" about the supposedly "safe" flu vaccines. It's a great way to debilitate a person's system for years and possibly kill them (in my opinion that is). Why would good ole boy Bill Gates even mention the word "vaccines" when in the same sentence he mentions population elimination. Hmmmmmm.
    And you subscribe to conspiracy theories? Let me guess you listen to Coast to Coast radio?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Shot [ 2 Answers ]

How Due You Start A Hot Shot Company With The Oil Field Company's And How Due You Bid For There Business?

Hit me with your best shot! [ 12 Answers ]

I am on a 80's music hunt. I have a pretty large selection of 80's music, but I'm sure that there are a few songs out there that I don't have yet. If you have a hot minute, just ramble off some groups, or song titles that I can look up so I can add to my collection of great 80's music. ...

View more questions Search