Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmarsha Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Sep 25, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Mold and the laws that protect tenants from greedy landlords
    Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows the laws concerning mold infected rental property's? And is there any Gov. agency that will inspect my home for free or at low cost? I have been sick for more than 2 years and my skin broke out in lesions about 6 months ago, After many agonizing months trying to figure out what this was I bought a home Mold Test Kit and sent samples of my skin lesions to their Lab and the results were shocking, Aspergillus mold, Curvularia mold, Cladisporium Molds and non sporelating Fungi. I have had double pneumonia twice and have thought that I had Morgellons Disease only to find out it was Fungus. My house is over 200 years old and I have had lots of leaking water problems. Wet basement etc... My Landlords are acting very sluggish about doing something about this and mean while because I have been so sick and unable to work more than 2 day's a week I can not afford to move out of here and basically am stuck at the mercy of my Landlords... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make them get their butts in gear? Because I know this house is killing me. Thank you for any advice, it is greatly appreciated. And because I know laws differ from state to state, I live in Tennesee.
    Thanks mmarsha
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 04:53 PM
    The very first thing you should do is call your town or county Board of Health. They should come out and inspect. Make sure you show the inspector the results of your home test. If they find mold they will force the landlord to correct it. If the situation is bad enough they will condemn the house.

Sep 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    The very first thing you should do is call your town or county Board of Health. They should come out and inspect. Make sure you show the inspector the results of your home test. If they find mold they will force the landlord to correct it. If the situation is bad enough they will condemn the house.
    Thank you Lisa for the great advise, which I will follow up on first thing mon. morning.
    mmarsha

Sep 29, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarsha View Post
    Thank you Lisa for the great advise, which I will follow up on first thing mon. morning.
    mmarsha
    Hello Lisa, I called the Board of Health and I will be getting no help there as the laws were changed here over 30 years ago, the H.D. is no longer able by law to enter private dwellings. If you have any other advise, please send... and Thank you for your time..
    mmarsha
    Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
    Ok, you're going to have to do this yourself.

I would send a letter to the landlord by certified mail, return receipt requested, informing them that if they do not take care of the mold situation within the next 10 days then you will have it done yourself and deduct the cost from the rent. Make sure you send a copy of the letter to them by regular mail as well. And keep a copy for yourself.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 09:21 AM

I am not sure this is a good tack. First, you need to somehow establish what repairs are necessary. Because otherwise the landlord may simply refuse to pay and evict you if you do not pay your rent.

I would try contacting the county planning department and ask which agency regulates environmental health. Or look in the phone book yourself for that agency. I am surprised the board of health did not tell you to do that. You need to locate the right agency.

Also, there are private companies that do mold mitigation. I'm sure they will give you an estimate--although they are likely to exaggerate what needs to be done. But it will give you a starting place.

Maybe there are some easy cheap things you could do right away, like blocking surface water going into the basement or turning off water valves under sinks that leak... Not sure what the specifics are, but usually there is SOMEthing you can do right away to reduce water in a house. Unless you are in the middle of a swamp!

Finally, I wonder why you do not just move out of this house? Isn't your health more important than making your landlord fix this building?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 09:29 AM

Hello:

I would absolutely DO what Lisa said... AND, I'd get a professional report first, like asking said.

What I WOULDN'T do, is involve any more bureaucrats... Get a professional estimate on Monday. It's FREE. Send your letter WITH a copy of the report on Tuesday. You'll have it FIXED by the 15th.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2009, 09:37 AM

I have to disagree with Asking here. Lisa gave you the correct procedure. If they do try to evict you for non payment, you show them the letter and the bill for the mold cleanup. And the judge will deny their eviction request.

Also, the Board of Health may not have been the correct agency in your area, but what about the Dept of Buildings, or similar? There MUST be an agency in your area that monitors for unsafe housing conditions. I can't imagine an area that does not have one.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 10:28 AM

Writing a demand letter is an important first step. But it's unclear to me how a letter stating that the tenant intends to spend X amount of money would require the landlord to pay it.

What if the tenant sent a letter stating that she was going to spend $300 on flowers for the backyard? The landlord is not required to pay that.

She needs to either negotiate an agreement with him directly, using the leverage that her moving out would cost him money, or hold something stronger over his head. I would, send the letter, then go and talk to the landlord, show him/her the reports and ask for mitigation. Take pictures of the mold and show those to him as well. I think this will work.

If that fails, either move out or find an authority who will confirm that the work needs to be done.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    What if the tenant sent a letter stating that she was going to spend $300 on flowers for the backyard? The landlord is not required to pay that.
    Hello again, asking:

The issue is habitability, not landscaping. According to law, she IS entitled to a habitable residence. She ISN'T entitled to nice flowers. Therefore, a letter telling the landlord that the tenant is prepared to spend ANY amount to return the residence to it's legal status, and deduct ALL of it from the rent is absolutely appropriate.

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 10:45 AM

I understand. But doesn't she need to establish that the place is uninhabitable?
    Or can she just assert that?
    Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 10:51 AM
    By sending the letter that there are damages that need to be fixed, and giving the landlord a certain period in which to do so, she is transferring the burden to the landlord of showing that there are no damages which need fixing.

If the landlord doesn't do the repairs and the tenant does them and deducts the cost from the rent, and then the landlord files a lawsuit for eviction for non-payment of rent, all the tenant has to do is walk into court with copies of the repair bills, a few pictures and proof that she paid for the repairs. The landlord then has to try and prove to the court that the repairs weren't necessary. Since the issue here is substantial mold removal the landlord is going to have a very hard time proving that the mold was caused by the tenant and it wasn't his responsibility.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 10:53 AM

Hello again, asking:

I would be MY view, that ANY mold growing on the inside walls makes the entire residence UN-inhabitable...

Course, it IS only my view. Do YOU think there's ANY NON dangerous mold that grows on walls?? I don't. I think they ALL put off spores that we breathe. I don't want to breath ANY spores.

I'm willing to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 11:35 AM

Most molds are not the kind that cause serious health problems.

Plus, lots of people have mold because they let water sit on the floor in the bathroom, keep big fish tanks, don't tell the landlord about a leak under the sink, or whatever. I'm just saying it isn't ALWAYS the landlord's fault.

I'm NOT saying that's the case here. But I'm guessing that either she has not communicated the seriousness of the problem or else, if she has and he is still dragging his feet over something this obvious, she may need to establish that (1) it's bad mold and (2) his fault for not making specific repairs. I don't think just saying "mold" is enough to start spending money and expect he'll pay whatever some contractor charges--at least not without a small claims case. It just seems better not to have to go to small claims court later...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2009, 02:02 PM

I see what you are saying and I do agree that the OP needs to establish that the existence of the mold creates a health hazard. So the OP gets an estimate from a cleanup firm that indicates how dangerous the mold is. The OP does this before sending the letter, or, at least, before withholding rent.

But all states have established laws that allow a tenant to withhold rent to pay for necessary repairs as long as they follow proper procedure (as Lisa outlined) before doing so. And, as I said, if it can be established that the repair was necessary and eviction proceedings would be thrown out.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 9, 2009, 01:22 AM

Interesting thread, as I am dealing with this exact issue myself, and came here searching for other's experience. In my case, the landlord/management did a half-@$$ed job after my original complaint. And 2 months later, I am even more sick. Health Department can only check if there's visible mold, mine is interior mold between walls, and possibly between ceiling and upstairs unit floor. The cause is faulty polybutylene plumbing that has been failing. I have had 3 major and numerous minor leaks affecting my unit.

Health department referred me to two agencies that do mold testing and remediation. The one wanted $399 for the work, plus $75 lab fee. The other could do indoor/outdoor air sampling for $75 each, and surface sampling for $100, a total of $250. If the testing comes back positive, health dept can cite management, they can also cite them for the plumbing failures, however, they have to be able to see the actual plumbing, veryfying it is polybutylene pipe.

I am in FmHa subsidized housing (FmHa/Rural Development USDA), and reported the initial issue to Rural Development. So, pictures were taken, and a paper trail has already been established. I am trying to come up with the money for the testing, I will be able to recover this from the landlord (by lawsuit most likely) in the future. Both health dept and testing agency agree that the "self-treatment" done initially was woefully inadequate, and probably removed little of the mold. They said the drywall and insualtion should have been replaced.

Anywhoo, I was advised to send a letter to landlord (which I will CC to Rural Dev. as I always CC to them anything concerning landlord) informing them of my latest doctor's exam, and concerns that there is still a mold issue, health dept has been notified, and on site testing will be done in my unit. And asking them what, if anything, they plan to do regarding the ongoing water leaks, etc that have contributed to the mold.

I was advised that possibly the only way to get satisfaction, is to hire a lawyer and commence litigation. I plan on sueing for damages to my health, so be sure to talk to your medical treaters regarding your records. My doctor has agreed to assist in an investigation, once a signed release is sent from my lawyer.

The first leak was from the unit upstairs, water from cracked pipe had gradually weighted down on my kitchen ceiling below, cause it to bulge, and finally cave in when the maintenance man poked at it. Ceiling was aired out for 5 days, with dehumidifier in my kitchen. Contracter replaced drywall in ceiling. Housekeeper I hire did final cleanup. Almost a year later, carpet in 1/4 of my bedroom became saturated, as well as padding underneath. Unit sits on concrete slab. I was asked to get my hired-help to come in a move furniture and pack belongings in boxes. Maintenance used wet-vac, and dehumidifier was in there for a month. I was promised I would be reimbursed for for the housekeeper and the electricity to run the dehumidifier, from both incidents. Landlord dragged feet, and I didn't get my $80 from both incidents until 6 months after the 2nd, when I sent a letter threatening to sue.

Third major incident was early June, a week after having major surgery. Entire hallway was flooded outside my unit, pipe in unit above mine had completely severed. Water ran across ceiling/upstairs floor, them poured down wall. Despite my request to do so, wall was never ventilated afterwords, and I began exhibiting allergy sympotms and having daily asthma attacks and sinus problems. I did a simple test myself, and took positive for mold results to manager after my doctor expressed concern about how my lungs sounded. They opened lower part of wall, about 2 feet from right above baseboard. Mold was clearly visible. I took a lot of pictures. They sprayed bleach, ran the dehumidifier for 5 days, and closed up the wall with the same drywall that was removed. The opening of the wall exacerbated my asthma/allergies, and I sought emergency treatment at my doctor's office, since she had evening hours that day.

Humidity in my unit stays an almost constant 60%, it never goes below 50%, and has gone up to 70%. Manager gave me dehumidifier crystals for kitchen, bathroom and hallway closet because I complained about constant higher than normal humidity levels. These areas were the ones exposed to the most moisture from the latest big leak. That same wall ceiling/upper floor area has been affected several smaller leaks as well. FAIK, there could be another small leaks or leaks, as they just patch leaks and leave the brittle plumbing in place. Health dept and testing agency said drywall and insulation should have been removed and replaced. I happen to have a dust mite allergy as well, and the increased humidity has caused the polpulation to multiply. Recent doctors visit show that I have barely passing oxygen levels, and my lungs sound like "wind wailing through the rafters".

The only way I will probably succeed in getting anything done, is through litigation. My history with this managemwent company is that they drag their feet, or as the Rural Development manager said, "They are reacttuive rather than proactive". Rural Development has power, but the most drastic measure would be sanctions that would cause the residents to lose their subsidies, so there is an unwillingness to resort to the most drastic measures. But they are 100% behind me using legal means, and will cooperate with my attorney.

I hope you can get your situation resolved OP, it's no fun being constantly sick from environmental toxins because your landlord fails to do the necessary repairs. Health Dept should at least recommend several agencies that do the testing and remediation, or try searching online and call for upfront costs. Pay for the pros to come out to do the testing, do the letter thing suggested and enclose the test results and something from your doctor(s). I'm going to do just that, after I get the testing done, in hopes it will get repaired, but I still plan on sueing for their failure to address this properly in the first place. If you have proof of previous complaints to landlord, you could do the same. Search of court records revealed that landlord has been previously sued, and currently has 3 tort and 1 personal injury case currently being litigated. Rural Dev. Commented that they have a history of problems.

Like you, I can't afford to move, I want a Housing Choice voucher from Sec 8, but they are practically non-existent. If I can prove that that my unit is a hazard, I might be able to enlist the help of my congressman in getting an emergency voucher. Health Dept should at least recommend several agencies that do the testing and remediation, or try searching online and call for upfront costs. PS I was also advised you should not be in unit when remediation is done, landlord is responsible for putting you up in a motel/hotel. Also. This falls under the "Quiet Enjoyment" clause in your lease (How can you quietly enjoy your home when it's making you sick?) Good luck to you in getting this resolved in a timely manner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws regulating landlords [ 2 Answers ]

In Arizona, if a landlord advertises his apt complex as a senior living community, is he required to provide a certain amount of entertainment?

Landlord will not Clean mold or replace mold covered cabinate in a timely Manner [ 4 Answers ]

We have Mold in our rented house! We had a pipe break under our kitchen sink and the landlord came and fixed that about a month ago, and said he would be back to fix the cabinate under the sink. Well it is now COVERED in mold and its even growing in the drawers. We called and he came and "cleaned"...

Landlords that don't reference Tenants [ 6 Answers ]

I am about to rent a flat and called the landlord today he says I just need to take ID and I can sign straight away. He said that they don't do referencing. In all the other places I have rented I have been asked for references from my employer and previous landlords. Although it is definitely more...

Landlord/Tenants Laws [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Westchester, NY and I wanted to know if a landlord had the right to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I will be moving in about a month and a half and they want to start showing the apartment now. I have children and I don't feel safe with people walking around my apartment...

Landlords and tenants [ 4 Answers ]

If there is two Tenant and the spouse drops his/her part of the lease agreement before the lease is up can the landlord evict the first/other Tenant? Or will the other Tenant have to be able to prove they can pay the rent and utilities?

View more questions Search