Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jul 8, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Mild anger
    Entire story merged

Yesterday I called my boyfriend when I got off work. He asked me if I wanted to go jogging with him when I got home. I told him I would go. Then he saws are you really going to jog? Like he was basically saying that he wanted to jog without stopping, no walking or anything. I told him I would still go but I don't know if I'll be able to jog the entire way (He wanted to jog a mile nonstop and back home). Then he says you can't be playing around like last time (I wasn't playing last time, I was really tired of running) And he was saying it like I was some child (but he said he wasn't being mean) but I instantly got mad and told him that I didn't want to go and he can go by himself. He thinks just because I'm 22 and he's 30 I should be able to jog a mile without stopping. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I didn't talk to him the entire day. I was going to apologize but he started giving me attitude, so I thought forget it.

I was already having a messed up day. I was bored as crap at work, can't find a permanent job cause nobody wants to hire, then he got a situation going on with him. All those feelings kind of just got balled up into one.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:45 AM

It wouldn't hurt to be the bigger person and still apologize. Maybe once you say you're sorry he'll say he's sorry for giving you an attitude. I'm also guilty of taking frustrations out on people. Getting better at it, one day at a time. It helps to take step back from the situation when you start to feel angry and approach things logically. Usually when I have a bad day I tell my husband right off the bat, and apologize in advance for any attitude I give him and that I don't mean to.

Next time he gives you a hard time about not jogging the whole way, just tell him to keep jogging and you'll walk when you start to get tired. That way you at least started together but you continue at your own pace. Eventually you'll be able to keep up with him better.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 08:32 AM
    It just sounds like a misunderstanding. If you get tired, he shouldn't expect that you continue running. You just have to talk it out with him and explain that you can't run at the same pace he does without doing more training yourself. So if he wants to run with you, he has to realize that he has to run at your pace. Just talk it out so this doesn't become a bigger issue.
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Jul 8, 2009, 08:46 AM

You told him you would go. But did you really want to go in the first place or were you just agreeing to it for his sake and fear he wouldn't think you care if you don't go?

Sounds as though he's on a mission out jogging and its important to him, which in turn I think he expects it to be equally as important to you too, for yourself I mean.

Your right though,its not necessarily age, its fitness levels, you need to tell him that your fitness levels aren't as high as his obviously are and that in order for you to keep up the pace, it will take you a while to do that, so as someone else said, for him to go on ahead if you start slacking.

If you really don't want to go, then tell him that and explain why. You need to communicate with each other.

He's obviously hurt your feelings with the way he reacted to you, just be honest and calmy tell him that it hurt your feelings and then tell him what you want to do. And no an apology wouldn't go a miss, it may make him understand.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 08:51 AM

Its hard to compromise when you are having a bad day. Once your emotional dust settles you will see things more clearly.

While he may seem a bit cold about being your jogging partner, maybe you could do some work in that area yourself, and be a better jogger on your own, its great stress relief, but as a shared thing with your partner, you obviously aren't that motivated as he is. If its just not your thing, you catch him after he has his run, but don't pretend you enjoy it.

Jul 8, 2009, 09:21 AM

I did apologize to him this morning. He said it was fine, but no he didn't apologize to me. I also asked him what was wrong with us starting running together and if I get tired I'll walk? And then start back up. He said no stopping at all, so I said I wouldn't be able to do that and stayed home. He obviously don't care about me getting tired along the way.

I kind of wanted to go with him cause I missed him and haven't seen him all day, but then again I kind of didn't want to go cause I had just gotten off work and I was a little hot and tired.

Jul 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Jealous, Depressed, & Upset
    Entire story merged

I seem to be a tad bit jealous when my boyfriend makes compliments on other girls. Like if he says that a certain girl is fine. I get mad. I think the main reason why I get mad is cause I assume that he trying to get with the girl or that there is something on the girl that he likes that I don't have. Like for instance I am a slim girl. A lot of people say I have big boobs :rolleyes: but I don't have a big bottie. So every time I'm out with my boyfriend and I see a girl with a big butt walk by and see my boyfriend looking, I assume that he would want to get with her cause her butt big and not mine. I wasn't like this before! I don't even know when I got like this either, but I really don't like it. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years. I should be content, right?

I know he loves me and wants to be with me forever (he says) and wants to marry me. I really don't believe that he would cheat on me either, but sometimes I think twice about it cause he had this Facebook with lots of female friends on it (I'm not one of them) and it makes me think that maybe he having relations with someone on there. It's not like he writes to them in front of me. It's really hard. I really need help on knowing how to change how I'm feeling. I don't want to be jealous, depressd and upset anymore.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    he had this facebook with lots of female friends on it (i'm not one of them).
    Whoa... wait? Do you have a Facebook? Have you requested him as a friend and he ignored it? I'm only asking because if that is the case, you may have a situation on your hands.

On the other hand, if you don't have a facebook/he doesn't get on much/you don't get on much or any combination of those I wouldn't worry.
    Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 10:05 AM

When I merged your threads one thing jumps out at me, he is not that supportive, or understanding of you.

Even a big dummy like me knows when his hard working, hot, and tired, female needs a hug, and some reassurance, and understanding, especially after a bad day.

I also see a big red flag in his insistence you keep up with him as he forges ahead with out considering, or even suggesting how you can be better prepared. Sorry, not to make something where they may be nothing, but its him who makes you feel in adequate, and he may not be meeting your emotional needs.

I think you should be able to talk about this in a calm, honest manner, more for your own good, rather than the relationship, but will he understand and make adjustments in his behavior? That I can't answer, but NO, you don't just have to settle for what ever he puts out.

Its just something's you have to do for yourself, without him, and being happy with yourself, is one of them.
    Family & People Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 10:10 AM

The more I hear about your story, the more red flags I see.

He's definitely not considerate of your feelings. I think part of it is due to him taking you for granted now. He hasn't had to do much work to keep you happy and he's not scared of losing you.

You really need to explain to him how you feel about all these issues. He needs to understand that you are feeling unease. If he really cares about you, he would do something about your insecurities. Otherwise, he might not care about you as much as he says he does.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    The more I hear about your story, the more red flags I see.

He's definitely not considerate of your feelings. I think part of it is due to him taking you for granted now. He hasn't had to do much work to keep you happy and he's not scared of loosing you.

You really need to explain to him how you feel about all these issues. He needs to understand that you are feeling unease. If he really cares about you, he would do something about your insecurities. Otherwise, he might not care about you as much as he says he does.
    I still can't rep you! Dang it. Yeah I'm starting to see red flags everywhere.

Jul 8, 2009, 10:13 AM

Yes I have a Facebook. He added me as his friend one time and got mad at me cause I requested one of his friends as my friend, so he deleted me off. The second time I made a request, he accepted. One night we were at his brothers house drinking and he got wasted and fell asleep. Being a woman, I went through his phone (facebook) and saw a conversation he was having with some girl about hooking up and eating cake and watching movies, and catching up on old time (as friends) it said. The girl asked him if I knew that he was coming (to VA cause that's where the girl lives) and if I was okay with it. He never responding about me knowing about it, he just told her that he was coming alone. So I wrote the girl back saying that he wasn't coming to VA w/o me now that I see what's going on. Once my boyfriend found out about that he deleted me off his friends list on Facebook. Now every time I make a request to be his friend he ignores it. I asked him why, and he says because I don't trust him. Now don't you think him deleted me off his Facebook and ignoring my request is going to make me not trust him?

HE got plans on going to VA with his cousin at the end of the month. I'm not going cause I don't have money to go. So I'm a little upset about this cause the first thing that comes across my mind is him hooking up with someone while he down there. It just makes me sick to my stomach to think about it
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Jul 8, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Why would your boyfriend ask if you wanted to go jogging and then question if you reallywanted to go?

I think you have a communication problem that you would rather blame on your age difference.

...And he was saying it like I was some child (but he said he wasn't being mean)...
    You should also not react like a child when you think he treats you like a child.
    ...but I instantly got mad and told him that I didn't want to go and he can go by himself...
    Not to mention you hacked into his Facebook account, that's just wrong.
    Family & People Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 10:16 AM
    The more things you tell us, the more we're going to lean towards telling you to break up with him, because there are so many obstacles.

1) Whether you believe it or not, you don't really trust him, especially because of the Facebook issues.

2) You don't have any security in this relationship or it has diminished significantly to the point that it might not be repairable without a lot of effort on both sides.

3) He's been taking you for granted and is inconsiderate of your feelings.

Sometimes, being in love with each other is not enough to have a successful relationship. It takes hard work and a strong commitement from both people. This is not apparent in your relationship.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:17 AM

I'm not saying he was right for you to go through his Facebook, because if you trust someone and respect their privacy you just don't do that, BUT, I can see that you don't trust him and I wouldn't either.

If you don't trust him and he's not doing anything to gain your trust it may be time to move on. A relationship is hard enough but when you don't trust the one you're with, that's not much of a relationship.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Yesterday I called my boyfriend when I got off work. He asked me if I wanted to go jogging with him when I got home. I told him I would go. Then he saws are you really going to jog? Like he was basically saying that he wanted to jog without stopping, no walking or anything.e
    So he's basically saying, don't come if you can't keep up with me? Shouldn't that be your choice if you go or not?

I did apologize to him this morning. He said it was fine, but no he didn't apologize to me.
    So he's too good to apologize even though he got an attitude with you?

I seem to be a tad bit jealous when my boyfriend makes compliments on other girls. Like if he says that a certain girl is fine.
    To me this seems disrespectful. It's one thing to look, it's another to make it so obvious that you're checking someone out.

I really get the feeling that he's controlling and taking advantage of you.

Jul 8, 2009, 12:11 PM

I know I may have been wrong to go through his Facebook but if you ( a woman mainly ) have a feeling that something is going on with your man, your going to look and find out what it is (whether you trust him or not). That's what I did.

We probably do have a communication problem. One of the reason that may be is because almost every time I try to talk to him about something he gets an attitude and we end up arguing. I don't want to be arguing with someone because I want to talk about a certain issue.

And with the complimenting other girls thing... he feels that its natural and that I probably do it too. Yea that may be true but I don't come out and say (in front of him) that a man is fine.

What would you guys say is the best thing to do?
    Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
    I would hope you give a lot of thought to how you approach him, and when, and more importantly, with what facts you have to back up your feelings. That way you have a reasonable idea of your issues, and hopefully a firm idea of how you expect to be treated by him. That requires you to know yourself and what you want. Then its just communicating to him how you feel, and listening to what he says.

No relationship is over until one, or both partners, aren't willing to work together, through honest communications, to RESOLVE their issues, to the benefit of both.

Don't expect overnight results, but do expect some progress over time.

Sometimes, being in love with each other is not enough to have a successful relationship. It takes hard work and a strong commitement from both people. This is not apparent in your relationship.
    Had to spread the rep, but I find this to be so true.

Jul 9, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Boyfriend going out of town
    Threads merged

My boyfriend is going out of town to VA (his home town) at the end of the month. I'm not going because I'm not going to have enough money to go and the person (his cousin) he is riding down there with has a pick up truck and there won't be any room for a third person (but I do want to go :o)

A couple months ago I looked at my boyfriends Facebook page and saw that he and some girl (that live in the state of his home town, but not the city) that he went to school with were talking about getting together and watching movies, eating cake and catching up on old times. As a girlfriend not knowing about this, I got upset and assumed that he was making plans to go down there and cheat on me. I confronted this to him. He said that he didn't have plans on doing anything, he was just talking. But it would be nice to see her and all his friends he went to school with. I told him that I wasn't comfortable with him being sneaky about it.

So now that he is going to VA at the end of the month I can't help thinking about what I read on his Facebook page. Thoughts run across my mind like, "is he going to go to VA and hook up with one of the girls on his facebook page?", "is he going to go down there and have sex with someone?" etc. I just can't help thinking about it. I want to believe that he won't do anything when he leaves but it's still hard.
    jmooney527 Posts: 200, Reputation: 83

Jul 9, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Try to find something to ease your mind about it. If you trust him, then you have nothing to worry about. I'm not saying that will stop you from driving yourself crazy... but here is a thought that helps me at times when I have a "moment"...

If someone wants to cheat on you, then they will find a way... and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Yes technically you can physically prevent it, but if someone wants to cheat, they will end up doing it in the long run. I wouldn't say he was being sneaky... I mean he knows you're friends with him on Facebook so you would eventually see their discussion right? By you reacting the way you did shows your boyfriend that you don't trust him, which could be more damaging to your relationship than him catching up with this girl.

Just try to relax and find some peace of mind, learn to not get so stressed over things you have no control over. If you trust him, you should have nothing to worry about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

To settle an argument [ 6 Answers ]

Does the royal naval college in Dartmouth count as a ship, what do you think? I say no because it is a brick building and it does and cannot be sailed or float on water. Its on a hill. My friend says yes, because it is listed as a ship 'the HMS Dartmouth' in the royal navy it is permantly...

Misrepresentation during argument [ 1 Answers ]

I have absolutely no idea where to post this question--none of the topics seemed just right. So I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place. I am wondering if there's a name for a certain technique some people use when arguing/debating with others. Most ploys used in arguments seem to have names, so I...

Big argument now he wants it over! [ 7 Answers ]

I am completley fretting at the moment, I got back from holiday on Saturday I went with my boyfriend. On Sunday me and the boyfriend had a huge argument I found out that another woman has been confiding in him and he wouldn't tell me what she was telling him. This led to hauge argument where I...

Unsound argument and invalid argument [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between an unsound argument and an invalid argument? Give an example of each. When you are building an argument for an issue that is significant to you, do you think it is more important to be sound or valid? Why?

Settling an argument. [ 3 Answers ]

Had a somewhat heated discussion about the side effects of a plumber using muratic acid to clean a drainage pipe (clogged by washer discharge, mostly). I maintain that this is tempting to use but could cause damage to the pipes leading to some fairly serious repair work. Do plumbers actually resort...

View more questions Search