Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russell amano Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Finding out if I'm a US citizen or not
    How do I find out if I'm a US citizen or not? All my work papers says I'm a US citizen but I was born at another country?Parents are not US citizens.
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 02:17 PM

To be US citizen you have to be born in the US and have a USA birth certificate
    Become a naturalized citizen
    Your parents are US citizens but you were born in another country (as sometimes happens in the military/diplomatic/private contractor) circumstances.
    Perhaps your work papers are what is commonly known as a Green Card or a work visa hope this helps good luck
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Sep 24, 2009, 02:41 PM

Where were you born? If not the US and your parents are not US citizens, you could not derive citizenship from them. Ask your parents.

Sep 24, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DCcityboy View Post
    where were you born? if not the US and your parents are not US citizens, you could not derive citizenship from them. Ask your parents.
    I

I was born at a country that used to be a US territory and yes my parents are not us citizens. I know that I can't have citizenship by birth. But my question is why is my job paperwork says I'm a US citizen? Also I went to canada and I came back through the border and the US immigration said I'm a US citizen.So I'm wondering how? Is it possible that I was born while the country was still a territory bfore they got their independence?

Sep 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedarln2265 View Post
    To be US citizen you have to be born in the US and have a USA birth certificate
    Become a naturalized citizen
    Your parents are US citizens but you were born in another country (as sometimes happens in the military/diplomatic/private contractor) circumstances.
    Perhaps your work papers are what is commonly known as a Green Card or a work visa hope this helps good luck
    Lol, very funny but seriously I haven't seen a green card in my life. Im in the army and
    I know that I can get naturalized. I also know that citizenship comes from blood,place of birth such as any kind of US soil, territory, and or property. Lol can't stop thinking about the green card. Yea my buddies asked me if I had one and I totally didn't know anything about it till they told me. But I was born at a country that used to be a territory? Makes me wonder if I was born bfore the counrty got its independence wouldn't that count me as a US citizen cause it was a territory? Just wondering cause I have no idea why it says that in my paperwork and even the immigration people told me that I am.

Sep 24, 2009, 04:23 PM

So are you Puerto Rican?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 04:42 PM

You can't join the Army unless you're a US citizen OR can provide tons of background info.

If your parents were born after 1899 (!) and meet other criteria (which really isn't much) they are citizens of the US, as are you.

Puerto Ricans have been granted U.S. citizenship in 1917 due to the Jones-Shafroth Act. The act was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson on March 2, 1917. U.S. Federal law 8 U.S.C. § 1402 approved by the President Harry S. Truman on June 27, 1952 declared all persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941 to be citizens of the U.S. at birth and all persons born in Puerto Rico between April 11, 1899, and January 12, 1941, and meeting certain other technical requirements, and not citizens of the United States under any other Act, are declared to be citizens of the U.S. as of January 13, 1941"

Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sep 25, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You can't join the Army unless you're a US citizen OR can provide tons of background info.

If your parents were born after 1899 (!) and meet other criteria (which really isn't much) they are citizens of the US, as are you.

Puerto Ricans have been granted U.S. citizenship in 1917 due to the Jones-Shafroth Act. The act was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson on March 2, 1917. U.S. Federal law 8 U.S.C. § 1402 approved by the President Harry S. Truman on June 27, 1952 declared all persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941 to be citizens of the U.S. at birth and all persons born in Puerto Rico between April 11, 1899, and January 12, 1941, and meeting certain other technical requirements, and not citizens of the United States under any other Act, are declared to be citizens of the U.S. as of January 13, 1941"

Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That is true but I did the same stuff that a US citizens would have to do to get in the army. They didn't require me to do extra stuff to get in. your talking about Puerto Rico I'm not from there.

Sep 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
    So are you Puerto Rican?
    No I am not Puerto Rican. Im from Palau that's why I don't know anything about the green card cause we are allowed to go in and out of the US or stay as long as we want.

Sep 25, 2009, 02:10 PM

Ahh Palau Paradise of the Pacific. Your question is a good one since the US administered the gov't under the UN until 1994. This could be a special status... between your country and US since they are such a newly formed government - only 15 years old. I'll see what I can find out specifically now that I know your country orgins will advise

Sep 25, 2009, 02:36 PM

Ah Palau citizens are special to the US the link is www.palauembassey.com/Bulletins scroll down to Immigration status . This was a special order by then President Clinton in l994
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 05:02 AM
    Ah Palau citizens are special to the US the link is www.palauembassey.com/Bulletins scroll down to Immigration status . This was a special order by then President Clinton in l994

When I tried to read this I was told this website does not exist. Please post again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Citizen married abroad with a Brazilian Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first question, and I hope somebody can help me :-) I'm an american citizen and I got married in Brazil to a Brazilian citizen. She took a semester off from school (university) to stay here with me on a tourist visa. She is going back to Brazil now, to finish her degree (she...

Canadian citizen to marry dual citizen (us/can) and relocate to US. [ 1 Answers ]

I am dual citizen (Can and US) born in Canada. Citizenship through mother who is American. Fiancé is Canadian. We both live in Canada now. I have been in Canada for 9 years working. We want to marry and relocate to states to be closer to my family. First, is it better to marry in Canada or...

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

View more questions Search