Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenmil1013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Defined benefit vs defined contribution
    I have been give accumulate postretirement benefit obligation, actual and expected return on plan asets, unrecognized prior service cost amortization, discount rate and service cost. The organization is looking to switch to a defined contribution from a defined benefit plan. Under the defined contribution plan the employer would contribute 3% of payroll. I need to compute a new post-employment benefit expens and illustrate with schedules and notes. I am extremely confused and don't even know where to start. Please Help! :confused:
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 11:13 PM

These terms are better understood in a
    Life Insurance context.
    Definite benefit in Life Insurance is a specific
    Amount usually called THE AMOUNT OF
    SUM ASSURED PAYABLE.
    Definite contribution in Life Insurance is a
    Specific contribution payable to achieve the result.

On the change your employer needs to know
    Now what type of expenses would you be committed for after you retire.

It would be prudent for them to know this information so that their actuary can calculate the total contribution to attain the required benefit.
    They are prepared to fund this for you, they are also contributing the amount of 3% of your wages towards this.
    They need to now get an assessment of what is needed as a balance percentage payable by you.
    You are in a better position to know these facts other then them.
    I would divulge what your commitment expenses are NOW and adjust them according to circumstances in the future which would be
    Closer to your retirement.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS 501c(4) Neighborhood Defined [ 1 Answers ]

Can an online social networking site be considered as a "particular municipality or neighborhood" by IRS 501c(4) filing standards?

Stocky. Want to be defined [ 1 Answers ]

I was working out hard.. people were saying I looked like I was on steroids I was getting big.. id do a 12 hours day of hard labour outa town work and than come home and go to the gym for an hour or 2 at my hotel everyday and than go to bed.. but I wasn't really getting defined maybe I a little.. I...

Defined benefit plan [ 1 Answers ]

My husband lost his job about 2 yrs ago he had a defined benefit plan not a 401k can he take money to buy a house?we have new owner in the community we live in and we have to upgrade our home here or move!! Thanks

Using vectors of user-defined types [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a beginner amateur programmer and I'm trying to write a module for card games. I know that several already exist, but I thought it would be great practice to create my own. My problem arises when I try to create a vector of a user-defined type instead of a normal type, like int or float. I...

Defined Benefit Plan [ 1 Answers ]

I am 58 years old & recently down sized from my employer of 23 years. I have since started to work for the state. I have a defined benefit plan that offers reduced early retirement at age 55. What would be the penalties / reduced benefits be if I started to receive pension payments now?

View more questions Search