Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProudMommyof2 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
    Getting my Novel Published
    I have been writing a novel for quite some years now. It has 3 parts-each about 15 chapters. I did not start to write it with intentions of publishing it but now that I am finishing up the book, the thought has crossed my mind. However, I have no idea where to begin. Do I look up local publishing companies or are there certain publishers that will read it? I am totally lost.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 12:15 PM

Congratulations! What fiction genre is it in? (or is it nonfiction?)

Has anyone else read it -- for consistency/content and as a proofreader?

Before you think about getting it published, you first want to polish it up nice and bright!

(I've been facilitator of a writers' group for the past year and have had half a dozen things published during the past 20 years.)

Sep 23, 2009, 06:18 PM

Thank you. It is fiction. It is a novel about two best friends & the directions their lives take. The first part is their teenage years & the 2nd part is college years & the third part is their adult life. I have a friend who reads it as I write it. Do you think I should get a professional proofreader? If so, how would I find one?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
    Thank you. It is fiction. It is a novel about two best friends & the directions their lives take. The first part is their teenage years & the 2nd part is college years & the third part is their adult life. I have a friend who reads it as I write it. Do you think I should get a professional proofreader? If so, how would I find one?
    You appear to be a good writer, but still want someone to check your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Is there a community college or four-year college nearby that you could hire someone who teaches in the English department -- or even a student who knows English grammar? Maybe that same person could comment on how well the story holds together. Another possible reader could be a librarian or high school teacher.

After you get that done, research and find publishers who publish similar kinds of stories. I wouldn't send my just-written cookbook to Oxford Press or Penguin Books because that's not what they publish. I'd look at fiction publishers' web sites and check them out in Writer's Market (available at the library). I'd read up on how to send a cover letter and synopsis, or does the publisher want the entire manuscript right away?

Please keep asking questions, if you have any.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 10:46 AM

Agreed. Be prepared to spend a lot of time going back to edit and polish and rewrite. Don't worry, this bit is fun, nothing like the torture of trying to get the words on paper in the first place.

A critical reader is a huge help. Someone who will tell you honestly what bits don't work and need cutting or rewriting, and which bits are great.

Most publishers will read submissions from authors without an agent. Ring up, ask who deals with the sort of book you've written, ideally talk to him or her about it, then send it in, perfectly presented, with a covering letter which mentions the conversation.

Sep 24, 2009, 02:16 PM

Thank you both! I may need to look into having some one professional or at least more grammatically experienced take a look at it after it is finished. My friend reads it & gives me advice on it but she's not a writer either so what may look good to her may not to someone else. Thanks a lot! You guys are helpful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get published [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently writing a book, and I am interested in submitting it to a publisher to be reviewed to see if it is worthy of being published. What are the usual steps in trying to have the best chance. I just have the amateur edited edition... what are the steps? Should I get it professionally...

To get my writings published [ 2 Answers ]

Dear All, It's quite easy to hit a search 'publishing writings" on Google and getting hundreds of results that lead to numerous sites that claim to publish worthy content by budding writers... However it takes a keen eye and experience in the writing sphere to be able to judge which ones are...

How do get published [ 4 Answers ]

I am almost done with a book of poetry I am compiling, and does any one have any information and/or tips on how to get published.

Getting published?Where to next. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I have written a couple of children's books as well as a novel and was wondering what to do now? Do I approach publishing companies with the books (which are not as yet books so to speak just printed ideas) do I need to format them in a specific way? Also do I need the illustrations...

View more questions Search