Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Spondylosis and scoliosis or is it both
    My wife has had spondylosis for a number of years. Recently
    They called it scoliosis. I do not think these conditions are one
    Of the same? Scoliosis is curvature of the spine.

I wonder if its two different problems, perhap one
    Has caused the other?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 01:55 PM

Yes, spondylosis is directly related to scoliosis, curvature of the spine, only spondylosis is spinal osteoarthritis; the two go together, or you might say spondylosis would naturally have followed given the age of your wife and the spine already being compromised.

You are correct, one has caused the other.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope she is not in too much pain with it.

Tick
    Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 03:54 PM

Hi simoneaugie, glad the answer helped you to !

Tick
    gomissygo Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2011, 10:10 PM
    I had a car accident in 2010 and started to see a doctor,started at chiropractor and epidurals nothing worked. Pain started to increase so MRI'S were done and found out have bulging herniated disc in neck and torn disc in lower back.. I was put on pain medications heavy meds... pain level was a 10/10 on meds 4/10 and even 7/10 on meds at times... more epidurals and triggers were done with physical therapy. Now after 30 injections later and 4 sets of physical therapy, my doctor looked at my back and said I have scoliosis, she said exercise and take inflammatory meds with several other pills. On the rx for physical therapy she wrote spondylosis... I read that spondylosis can be caused by car accident and is a degenerating disc in the spine triggered from trauma. This was not diagnosed until 1yr and 7months after the accident. hope this helps
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Yes thanks to all of you for your support help. My wife is 59 years old now. Doctor had told my wife the
    Spondylosis is genetic from birth. The only cure is an operation. The condition now is in the third stage.
    The chances for success is 20/80. My wife is too frighten to have it done.

Expert

Sep 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474 View Post
    Yes thanks to all of you for your support help. My wife is 59 years old now. Doctor had told my wife the
    spondylosis is genetic from birth. The only cure is an operation. The condition now is in the third stage.
    the chances for success is 20/80. My wife is too frighten to have it done.
    Oneill, I don't blame her for being frightened by the thoughts of the operation; but please get a second opinion about having it done. It is curvature of the spine and as far as I know, correcting a condition like this would be mean, probably to a woman at 59, constant corrections, pain control.

I ask you, what are her conditions of daily living now; is she in a wheelchair? Just tell me how she manages right now so I can get a picture of what is going on with this doctor.

You know we aren't allowed to diagnose here; so my opinion is my own entirely. Owing to the fact I have been answering your health related questions for so long, prompted me to want to know about this.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you fix Scoliosis [ 6 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and have scoliosis. I want to know if there is anyway besides surgery to get it fixed. My doctors don't want to talk about it much or do much with it because I also have a disease called osteogenisis imperfecta which basically means I have brittle bones. I want to get it done...

Scoliosis Surgery [ 6 Answers ]

I have had metal rod/screws placed not my back from scoliosis. I always wondered. Can these rods/screws ever move or become loose over time? Or will they stay in place no matter what? Also is my back in any more danger of becoming worse?

How to fix scoliosis [ 3 Answers ]

I am 12 years old and my school checked every kid for scoliosis and I have it. What can be done to completely get rid of it. I am only starting to get it. Is there anything other than a brace that I can use to fix it?:(

Scoliosis treatment [ 9 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and have got scoliosis. I don't know how serious it is but I wish to get rid of it. It makes by back hurt if wearing something on my left shoulder (which is a little higher than my right one). Also, my back gets very stiff if I have been standing straight for some time, let's say...

View more questions Search