Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheshore Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Yes, those two wires (the white painted black and the black you point to that I labeled "switch") are in the same romex line.

I am using a VAC/DC 110/220 tester that has a black and a red probe with a light that turns on inside when it responds to current. It's a little hand held item a little bigger than a pen.

When I used the tester:
    switch off: white + ground = tester lights up
    black + ground = no light on tester

switch on: white + ground = light
    black + ground = light
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 11:39 AM

You have incorrectly identified the cable going to the switch. Put all of the wires back the way there were.

Rereading your post, you said earlier,

"All three of the blacks are attached to a black pigtail that goes on a screw on one side and all the whites are attached to a white pigtail and attached to a screw on the other side (the side as the ground screw."

If this is true in all of the outlets, the switch is not connect to the outlets. If it were, you would trip the breaker any time you turned the switch on. I say this because you would be making a direct connection between the hot and neutral when you turn the switch on.

Put the wires back the way they were and lets start over. Check to insure that everything works, including outlets and lights in other rooms.

I ask earlier how you knew that the switch was on the same circuit. Turn breaker to outlets off and check for voltage at switch.

I suspect that I know what has happened (electrician screw up) but lets go through the steps.

Sep 26, 2009, 01:28 PM

Harold,
    I can't thank you enough. You are right about everything. I had made a stupid assumption that no one would switch the outlet just 3 feet below the switch. When I rewired it, I hadn't pulled all the wires out of the box to see that a white was attached to the blacks etc.

I have it all put back together correctly now. The switch operates the lamp on the table right next to it and all the outlets are working down the line.

Thanks again, you saved me having to hire an electrician.

Nina in FL

Sep 26, 2009, 01:37 PM

Congratulations

Patience is a virtue, you are now a virtuous person.

Sep 26, 2009, 01:43 PM

Now... I wouldn't go that far!

But you are a Saint.

Yeah, Saint Harold. I can worship that!

Sep 26, 2009, 08:36 PM

Gawd, we're getting deep. You must have been checking voltage by sticking you tongue to the wires.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 12:34 AM

Nice job Harold.

One comment: If those are metal boxes, I can't tell. The box must also be grounded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for 5-speed fan control wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a ceiling fan/light fixture, however, am not sure as how to wire the wall switch, specifically the wiring for the 5-speed fan control. I am able to get the light to work, but not the fan. Look forward to your replies. Thank you

Remote Control Ceiling Fan wiring for a double wall switch [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a Hunter remote control ceiling fan. I've replaced fixtures before in my home, so I thought this would be a no brainer. Well the remote thing has me stumped. House is pre-wired with a double wall switch, one with a dial control for the fan, the other switch is for a wall outlet...

Install light switch to control receptacle outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to install a receptacle and a light switch by which to control it. I have a hot, neutral, and ground wire running to the switch. Which wires go where in the switch box, and how do they extend to the receptacle?

Confused: 2 or 3 wire wall switch for Fan Control [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am buying a new house (new construction) and I have a question regarding fan controls. I bought hunter fans (augusta III) and Hunter Ceiling fan controls (27182). The control says it is for a 3 wire wall switch. Is that how switches are normally wired and will these controls work...

Harbor breeze fan / Dimmer switch wall control [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I recently purchased a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and a light/fan dual dimmer switch from Lowe's. We had both installed and it seemed to have worked fine for a week. Then I smelled something that smelled like burning copper(?) and realized that it was the switch that was installed in the...

View more questions Search