Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airica79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 01:13 AM
    At fault car accident, other driver no insurance
    I was parked along a curb and was pulling out into the street. I hit a car that came up along side me. My front/side bumper hit the side of her car (passenger side) towards the back. Clearly this was my fault. She was driving without insurance and didn't want the police called. I offered to give her my insurance info so she could get her car fixed. She didn't want this either for fear my insurance would investigate the accident and discover that she was driving without insurance. So, I told her to get some quotes and call me. She called with 2 quotes, the lowest was around $700. So my question is, should I just give her the $700 or just call my insurance, pay the $500 deductible? OR I could offer her the $500? Any thoughts are appreciated :confused:
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 08:07 AM

Have her either a)pay for it and give you an invoice so you can reimburse her, or b)contact the place that will be doing the repair and pay them directly.

If you report it to your insurance, then your rates are going to go up.
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 08:09 AM

First you need to call your insurance agent and see if they will handle a claim without a police report.
    Second: Always call the police when there is a vehicle accident because if you don't later medical claims may emerge from the accident not just the vehicle repair bills. This helps with future consequences. See if you can still make a report
    It is not your problem when a driver doesn't have insurance even if you are at fault. Do not let anyone game you on this. If your state requires auto insurance, then they better have it when they drive. Good luck
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 12:45 PM

Check your insurance policy for what is known as a "first accident forgiveness" clause. I made sure that was in mine if I ever had a DUH moment :)
    If you don't have one, ask your agent if you can get one and what it covers. This ensures that your rates don't go up.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 07:15 PM

I would not pay this out of my pocket. What if you do, don't report it to the Police, don't report it to your company, pay her - and then she claims an injury?

Keep in mind I'm a liability investigator so I never see one of these situations that goes well.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 06:36 AM

I suppose I was just speaking from my personal experience. My dad was driving in traffic one day; a 15-year-old girl with no license was in front of him. The light turned yellow - and I mean yellow, not red - and she slammed on her brakes and locked them up. My dad slammed on his brakes but was driving a Suburban - not the easiest thing to stop.

He ended up hitting her, not causing any major damage but there were 2 dents in the back of her car where my dad's grille guard was.

Since she was only 15, she had no license but her brother was letting her drive his car around. So nobody called the police - she didn't get a ticket for operating without a license, my dad didn't get a ticket for following too closely.

But then again, there was no money exchanged either.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by airica79 View Post
    OR i could offer her the $500? Any thoughts are appreciated :confused:
    Hello a:

Why should it cost you $200 MORE just to make HER happy?? The answer is, it shouldn't. Offer her what the accident WOULD have cost you IF you weren't doing her a favor.. Yes, you'll benefit too from doing her a favor - but that's neither here nor there...

Along WITH your check - or frankly even BEFORE you proffer a check, have her sign a waiver for ANY future demands she might make on you... I don't know how to write one of those, but it can't be too hard... Have her NOTARIZE her signature...

excon

PS> (edited) Upon further consideration, there's NO deductable when they pay a LIABILITY claim... So, the accident would cost you NOTHING if you were to claim it... So, I'd claim it. You COULD tell her that your insurance company doesn't care whether she had insurance or not... That IS true.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello a:

Why should it cost you $200 MORE just to make HER happy??? The answer is, it shouldn't. Offer her what the accident WOULD have cost you IF you weren't doing her a favor.. Yes, you'll benefit too from doing her a favor - but that's neither here nor there...

Along WITH your check - or frankly even BEFORE you proffer a check, have her sign a waiver for ANY future demands she might make on you... I dunno how to write one of those, but it can't be too hard... Have her NOTARIZE her signature...

excon

PS> (edited) Upon further consideration, there's NO deductable when they pay a LIABILITY claim... So, the accident would cost you NOTHING if you were to claim it... So, I'd claim it. You COULD tell her that your insurance company doesn't care whether she had insurance or not... That IS true.
    That's a thought. The OP could also just pay the repair bill in cash so there's no way for it to come back to her; no proof that she admitted fault for the accident or that she was even involved in it, period.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
    I'm wondering why she should pay anything. If the other party was so anxious not to report the accident, what's going to happen if she pays nothing?

On the other hand, the OP probably does have some sort of moral obligation. It seems to me that obligation probably would be limited to offering to notify the OP's insurer.

And I agree with excon:
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... Upon further consideration, there's NO deductable when they pay a LIABILITY claim... So, the accident would cost you NOTHING if you were to claim it... So, I'd claim it. You COULD tell her that your insurance company doesn't care whether she had insurance or not... That IS true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Fault Car Accident - No Health Insurance [ 8 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident which the other driver is at fault. Stopped at a red light and was hit from the rear and rushed to the E.R. / was instructed by E.R. to get MRI done / paid out of pocket to go see a doctor and have MRI done + Meds. / monies are now exhausted / may have issues with #10...

My fault accident, the other driver laid about no of people in the car [ 9 Answers ]

I had a car crash 1.5 years ago. IN THE OTHER CAR WAS JUST ONE PERSON -THE DRIVER.

At Fault Accident, My Insurance Rates? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, so I was in my first accident ever. Ive only been driving for a year, so I'm a new driver. My record is clean, except for a few parking violations. So, last week I was driving my sisters car here in California, and ran over a rolled up rug on the road. It was dark at night and really had...

Car accident, not my fault, no police report, have driver info [ 3 Answers ]

A driver hit me while I was nannying with 3 kids in the car. She sobbed about her insurance being so high, and she will pay for the damage out of pocket. It has been 8 months now, and not a penny has been received. Luckily she has still been answering my calls. What rights do I have?

Accident witout insurance and at fault [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wife had a accident yesterday 03/09/2007 in warren county , mason ,Ohio And she was found at fault as she was taking a left turn and ROW was for the person approaching from the front The police officer wrote that my wife is at fault And both the cars were almost total , and on...

View more questions Search