Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dweirzbicki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Boyfriends child support put a lien on my bank account
    Hi, I am in a real big mess! My boyfriend and I live together for about 9 years and child support is garnishing his paycheck for about 600 per month, which has put a terrible hardship on us. It's only for one child. The child's mother left the state and we do not know where she is living. He does not see or hear from the child, never did. He is in the arrears for about 5,000. We have a joint bank account and I am the primary account holder. The just put a lien on the account and tacked on the court order fee and the amount of fees keeps climbing. How do I get him off my account since we are not married. I live in New York, and the court order came from brooklyn, Kings county courthouse. What do I personally have to do to get rid of this lien and what does my boyfriend have to do. He doesn't understand his rights as a non custodial parent. I have been trying to tell him to go back to court to file a downward motion. I think that he doesn't even know where to start. I am 51 yrs old and I do not need this kind of stress in my life. Please help me to find answers or even places to go to get information on this matter. Thank you very much.:confused:
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 10:11 PM

First if he thinks he is paying too much then he needs to get a court date to request a support order modification (though he may end up paying more if he isn't absolutely sure he is paying too much as it is). Second, to get the lien off your account the arrears must be paid simple as that (I know it's easier said than done). You can't just take him off the account because while you are the primary he is also on the account so the money can now be taken for his support. After the arrearage is met then there won't be a lien on the account. Do you have another account that is in just your name? If so use that one, if not open one.

Sep 23, 2009, 01:47 PM

Ok thanks, but is the mother of the child allowed to move out of state and the child support checks are going to an address in the state she left, (NY). And how can I find out if he's paying too much. Thanks again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 23, 2009, 01:58 PM

First, if he is listed as a joint owner on any account, that account is subject to attachment for his debts. If you can prove that none of the funds in that account are his, then you might be able to get the attachment removed. For the future, you should close that account and open a new one in your name only.

Second, if there was a court ordered visitation schedule in place, then her moving would not have been allowed. But it sounds like your boyfriend is doing nothing about his rights.

HE (you have no legal standing) needs to file in court for a modification of the support and enforcement of any visitation.

Sep 23, 2009, 02:57 PM

Yes, you are very helpful. Thank you so much. Thank you... thankyou!!
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 10:41 PM

Every state has an online calculator that you can use to get a guestamate of how much support would be ordered. If he wants a modification hearing then he will have to file for one. Does he have any court ordered visitation? It dosen't sound like he does and therefore her move wouldn't really affect the father/child relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on bank account for child support [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.

Child support bank lien [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I currently live in the State of Texas. I suppose to have a child in Chicago, Illinois in which I never got any DNA test done, in order to validate weather or not the child is mind. It's been well over 7 years that I left the State and moved on with my life. While checking my account...

Child Support Lien on Bank Accounts [ 8 Answers ]

My husband just received a notice in the mail that the attorney general is putting a lien through a bank that he used to have a bank account with. My question is that, we had heard about this happening about 3 months ago, so we canceled all the accounts that we had together and just put them all in...

Lien placed on bank account for back child support payments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about removing a lien placed on a bank account for back child support?

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

View more questions Search