Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adriandslv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 10:12 AM
    How to active unused hard disk space.
    When I got a new computer I formatted the disck into 4 partitions.. and 40 gb was left over from 160 gb. Now I want to reactivate that 40 gb unused space.. jelp me tell me how to do it.. I tried the diskpart and got the below message..

C:\>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: WIN2006

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 0 C NTFS Partition 20 GB Healthy Boot
    Volume 1 D Giga Drive NTFS Partition 39 GB Healthy System
    Volume 2 E NTFS Partition 39 GB Healthy
    Volume 3 F NTFS Partition 29 GB Healthy

DISKPART> select volume 1

Volume 1 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> extend

DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
    Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandslv View Post
    ...tell me how to do it..
    See How to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows 2000, and in Windows Server 2008. Note that extension for basic volumes requires that the unallocated free space must be the next space on the disk following the volume to be extended and be contiguous. So you can either backup E and F, delete E and F, extend D, recreate E and F, and then restore E and F using diskpart and a backup utility, or use a 3rd party disk partitioning tool to extend D in place and not have to deal with E and F manually.
    adriandslv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 05:50 PM

But if you can give me method of doing it as I am not know how to do it..
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandslv View Post
    .. if you can give me method of doing it ...
    I provided two in my previous post, the first was:
    1. Backup the data on E and F using a backup utility of your choice. Windows includes a backup utility that has built-in help information for using it.
    2. Delete E and F using DiskPart.
    3. Extend D using DiskPart.
    4. Recreate E and F using DiskPart
    5. Restore data to E and F using whatever backup utility you used in step #1.

If this is unclear, perhaps for the sake of your data, local assistance should be sought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allocation of space in new hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

Want to divide my 60 gb hard disk into 4 or 5 partition. Then how to allot space n what should be written in bytes to do equal partition.

False "Insufficient Hard Disk Space" error when downloading Drivers [ 5 Answers ]

O/S XP-SP2 updated NOTE: Other than this specific problem, the System/OS, all Peripherals and Applications are working perfectly. I recently bought a new Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision to replace my old QuickCam. When I went to install the drivers/Apps; the CD began to spin-up in the drive...

Lost space in hard disk [ 4 Answers ]

My hard disk is of 40GB. When I bought my computer then I had 4 partitions of size 9.75 GB each i.e. total 39 GB. Than I installed linux. Then I again re-installed windows. Now linux didn't boot. I went to disk management. There were two unknown partition. I think maybe they were of linux and...

Hard Disk Space --- ASAP [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 8GB hard drive (C drive). But when I format it it shows only 16MB. When I do Fdisk then it does show me the partition of 8676MB. I cannot install window98 because it says not enough space. Can some one tell me where is the problem and how to rectify Thanks

View more questions Search