Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johvanna Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Sep 22, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Is 9th grade hard? What subjects do you do?
    Well Im scared to do 9th grade work because I don't have any knowledge of what to do. I've been home schooled since 5th grade but because of certain reasons I didn't do any work :/ & I'm real behind. Im supposed to be in 11th grade but I'm in 9th even though I have 7th grade knowledge. I know because I took a test in order to go to high school since I didn't have any credits and I didn't pass it :/ so I'm wondering is there any way I can try my best to be in the grade I'm supposed to be in?
    And is 9th grade hard... what do you learn??
    Im also trying 2 figure out what subjects do you do because I'm ordering my books from abeka.com & I don't know what to get for ninth grade... HELP!!
    hawksavu Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2009, 10:18 AM

Hey! Don't worry! I am in 11th grade. Its not so tough. You may feel that science is a little bit tough, but you can manage it if you have the will. And are you from india?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 10:22 AM
    If you are only schooled to a Seventh grade level, you will not do yourself any justice by pushing into Ninth grade work.
    All levels of education are foundations that build off each other.
    If you go in behind it will be even more difficult for you to excel.
    If you are home schooled you have the ability to push yourself harder and faster in order to get caught up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 10:26 AM

You should be tested by a standardised test and go into the level of school you are at.

And 9th grade work is no harder then 8th grade is to a person in 7th grade.
    Education is a building block on the knowledge we learned.

If for some reason you were failed by home schooling, you need to go into the actual level of school your abilities are at.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 10:34 AM

Fr-Chuck makes sense but many public schools do not do that with home schooled or retained students. If a student enters a school for the first time they are most likely going to be placed at an "age appropriate" level. The jury is still out and not enough data has been collected to prove which is better. Retaining or entering at a lower level will likely keep you at that lower level for the rest of your schooling. Age appropriate placements , unless you have a disability, will give you a chance to work with peers who can be role models and help bring you up to speed. The choice likely will not be yours, the administration will decide.

Sep 22, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Fr-Chuck makes sense but many public schools do not do that with home schooled or retained students. If a student enters a school for the first time they are most likely going to be placed at an "age appropriate" level. The jury is still out and not enough data has been collected to prove which is better. Retaining or entering at a lower level will likely keep yoiu at that lower level for the rest of your schooling. Age appropriate placements , unless you have a disability, will give you a chance to work with peers who can be role models and help bring you up to speed. The choice likely will not be yours, the administration wil decide.

I do not have a disability I'm just behind because of family problems. Im a fast learner & I used to be real smart when I went 2 pubic skool.

Sep 22, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksavu View Post
    Hey! dont worry! I am in 11th grade. its not so tough. You may feel that science is a little bit tough, but you can manage it if you have the will. And are you from india?
    Thx & no I'm not from india I'm from tx
    Do you know what subjects you do in 9th grade?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johvanna View Post
    Thx & no im not from india im from tx
    Do you know what subjects you do in 9th grade?
    You need to focus on seventh grade first or you are setting yourself up to fail.

All subjects build on each other, especially Math & Sciences, without the foundation you will be lost.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 12:20 PM

Ordering books? See if you can get in touch the a counselor at the school. Or at least other students there, although a counselor would be best. When I was in high school there were a list of all of the classes, students would put down what they wanted to take and a few back up classes in case they didn't get into one. Then they were assigned a schedule and with the exception of AP and honors courses, the books for each class were provided. A counselor should be helping you choose your classes. There are usually certain requirements you have to meet to graduate. And the counselor will know whether there's any sort of remedial classes you can take. Or if that's not an option hopefully they can at least provide you with resources for looking for a tutor. My school also used to have a list of students who had signed up to be tutors.

Who is saying you need to be in 9th if you tested at a 7th grade level? Why are you being pushed ahead?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 12:30 PM

Freshman classes usually are math, science, social science, language arts and PE. Math, science, and LA usually have up to 3 levels of difficulty. Your main issue to success is what is your reading level. If your reading level is age appropriate you will have no difficulty reading the materials. Actuall, for most subjects, few new conceopt will be introduced but most will go into greater depth than previous years.

Sep 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    ordering books? see if you can get in touch the a counselor at the school. or at least other students there, although a counselor would be best. when i was in high school there were a list of all of the classes, students would put down what they wanted to take and a few back up classes in case they didn't get into one. then they were assigned a schedule and with the exception of AP and honors courses, the books for each class were provided. a counselor should be helping you choose your classes. there are usually certain requirements you have to meet to graduate. and the counselor will know whether or not there's any sort of remedial classes you can take. or if that's not an option hopefully they can at least provide you with resources for looking for a tutor. my school also used to have a list of students who had signed up to be tutors.

who is saying you need to be in 9th if you tested at a 7th grade level? why are you being pushed ahead?

Well I'm 16 guna be 17 next yr I'm supposed to be in 11th I'm way behind & I don't want to be in 7th grade that would put me 2 behind I need to be in 9th grade I know I can pick up quick & ima try & take tutoring 4 math & reading.

Sep 22, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Freshman classes usually are math, science, social science, language arts and PE. Math, science, and LA usually have up to 3 levels of difficulty. Your main issue to success is what is your reading level. If your reading level is age appropriate you will have no difficulty reading the materials. Actuall, for most subjects, few new conceopt will be introduced but most will go into greater depth than previous years.
    OK thank you:)
    mekuel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Sometimes ninth grade is hard. My weakest subject is math and english

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Requirements of subjects [ 2 Answers ]

HELLO,this is Meher from Dhaka,my question is that what are the subjects that are actually required if I want to be a doctor? what are the courses required?I've just completed my o'levels,my result has not published yet,well I'm a student of OXFORD IN'T SCHOOL of DHAKA.and now I'm taking the course...

Wrong Subjects For Me? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi ^_^ well I've just chosen my subjects and its gone into the 6 weeks and well I chose art and media studies because when I'm older I want to work with cartoons and things when I'm older but I would also like to be a guitarist and I'm in a band with my friends and I'm starting to think I should...

What's the Best way of Rembering things in Subjects? [ 3 Answers ]

I really don't know what catergory does this question fall into, but oh well. Anyway here is the problem, I'm in Yr 12 this year, and already I'm fully stress about assignments and exams. I have like a block exam coming up in 2 weeks time. My question is that, is there anyway that you can study and...

Earse the subjects [ 8 Answers ]

How can I erase the subjects I did a search for it on the box of the search? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search